Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Jakob Chychrun to 6 year Extension ($4.6M AAV)

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I take Theodore over Chych any day of the week.

Mainly because Theodore isn't coming off major knee reconstruction, on BOTH KNEES

Right now sure. Betting against a 20 year with 2 years experience and 2 freak accidents is a bad bet though (PM me of you wantto get serious on betting). I dont understand how anyone cant see this as a steal or at worst a moderate value trade chip. Any rich team with a medicore top 4 will take the risk on a kid under 5m. There is value in him playong 6 years on this contract and there is value trading him if he doesnt meet expectations.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Thou shalt not doubt thy holy Chychrun. Heathens will be purged, their minds cleansed of their heretical fears and doubts. The Ultra Mega Chychrun has arisen. Now for the next step in his evolution, we will awaken the MustaChychrun!

Zealous Chychrun man love aside, I think this becomes a steal very quickly. The knee and shoulder injuries are worrisome, but he's a workout freak and appears to have come back strong. IMO he'll be our 2nd best dman by the end of this year, and will stay at that level for the rest of this contract.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I like the kid's game but this seems way too early for this contract. Dvo's seemed a little early as well. They are betting heavily on these two guys being keys to the rebuild. Hope they are right.

I agree, but you have to give Chayka a bit of credit. He has a vision, plan or whatever you call it and is sticking to it. Now it's time for Perlini and Crouse to show us what they have got to get a long term deal. DVO and Chychrun could be home run deals or they could be the opposite. Not sure I would have done either deal, but Chayka is around these guys day and night so he knows a bit more than us.:nod:

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think Chychrun has proven himself as a top 4, certainly not a #3 type. He's also blown out both knees and a shoulder already IIRC. Chayka held all the chips and overpaid a bit.

There's showing faith and then there's undeserved gestures. Like they couldn't even wait ten games back from his injury?

I have heard the salary cap is going up substantially in the the near future. We seem to have forgotten that this kid is only 20, playing a tough position and has not looked out of place. I really like his game and I think he is 1st pairing material, IF he can stay healthy.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I have heard the salary cap is going up substantially in the the near future. We seem to have forgotten that this kid is only 20, playing a tough position and has not looked out of place. I really like his game and I think he is 1st pairing material, IF he can stay healthy.
The only reason the Cap has increased in last few years is the NHL uses the Escrow from players to fake it. When players are losing 10% of their pay it pretty much means Cap is actually 10% less than advertised. It will be one reason to next lockout.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Murphy was more accomplished, playing top pairing minutes with OEL, had the potential, when we signed him to a 6 year deal too, and he didn't have 2 major knee injuries. This might be Chayka's strategy of not having to deal with larger contracts later by signing guys to term earlier. It might work but its guess work on his part.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Chayka is aware that most players start to decline in their late 20's. Forwards peak at 26/27 for example. D later. He's about locking players up for their prime years and I think you are going to see a ruthless GM who is unapologetic about trading these players when they reach renewal. Sell high.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
People are after Chayka for THIS? Of all things? Not about being so incredibly stupid as to trade Max Domi? But about signing a great young defenseman to a team friendly deal for a long term? Forget about throwing in the towel on a player like Max, though? Can we not be mad about keeping our great young players and instead be mad about not keeping them? Please?

Chucky is young. I take him everyday of the week over Domi. I can see why there is concerns over Chychrun's deal, but Chayka has a plan and is sticking to it. You have to have a plan and stick to it, not like us fans who want to trade kids before they develop or after a few bad games. Chayka is around these guys day and night and has a much better feel about the players than us.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The last UFA year drags the AAV up. The other years are actually quite reasonable. The AAV doesn't concern me. I don't think we have cap space issues.

Next two years basically mirror Trouba's bridge deal. Even year 3 is a mirror. I don't see Trouba's signing anywhere close at the $ figure we have Chychrun for years 4-5 of the deal.

Reactions: Mosby

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Murphy was more accomplished, playing top pairing minutes with OEL, had the potential, when we signed him to a 6 year deal too, and he didn't have 2 major knee injuries. This might be Chayka's strategy of not having to deal with larger contracts later by signing guys to term earlier. It might work but its guess work on his part.
Murphy never showed the play that Chick has. Murphy was so over rated by Coyote fans it was ridiculous. The reason he played with OEL is the same reason Demers is playing with OEL.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I have to wonder if there isn't something more than Chayka's stated "We want to build a core culture here" intent behind these recent signings.

What I do know:

* There is an upcoming expansion draft happening for Seattle;
* There is another lockout looming unless something happens soon.

So while I like Chychrun (and Dvorak, as long as we're talking moderately head-scratching long-term deals), I have to think that maybe there is an ulterior motive behind them beyond just locking up good young talent early. I'll have to defer to the contract/financial experts among us, though, to sort the ramifications.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I am very happy with the signing. I haven't seen many kids that young with such fluent skating, perfect positioning, and the ability to win puck battles, but my attention is too often placed on the defensive side of the game. Hjalmarsson, and Michalek before him, are two of my favorite Coyotes ever for that reason. Chychrun is likely to be on that level defensively, but how do folks here think he'll be in the offensive zone? Will he be a 20-point guy, or will he develop into somebody who can put up 40 or more?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Chucky is young. I take him everyday of the week over Domi. I can see why there is concerns over Chychrun's deal, but Chayka has a plan and is sticking to it. You have to have a plan and stick to it, not like us fans who want to trade kids before they develop or after a few bad games. Chayka is around these guys day and night and has a much better feel about the players than us.
What? You take Galchenyuk over Domi? Have you seen what’s been going on in Montreal?

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I like the deal as well. With the salaries increasing on their own, his potential and what we've seen... it's a small risk. Goes 2 ways.... he does well and it's a steal, or he doesn't and it's overpayment. HOWEVER, even in that second scenario, he can still be moved around if it comes to that because it's not a boat anchor contract. The Yotes moved Murphy and his contract/performance ratio was worse than this one, in my opinion. We got Hammer for him so... I can't complain.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I think people love the idea of it, but question the timing. I don't think anybody is unhappy with Chychrun sticking around for another 6 years, just weary of Coyote luck. I am happy, my first reaction was very positive. I agree with the idea that it is about 300-600k higher than I would want right now, but that's nothing to lose sleep about and it will be absolutely brilliant if he remains healthy over the years. He's a stud of a hockey player.
This is my response as well. I like Chychrun a lot and think there's a good chance he ends up as a top pairing D. Is this deal a risk? Absolutely it is, but it's a risk where we either are overpaying by about 400-600k or underpaying by about 1M. This is a risk that I personally like the team taking. Hindsight will be 20/20 on this deal

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
This player has bridge deal and prove yourself written all over him. So far in his career he has proven nothing with 34 NHL points in two season's.
Hes not meant to be a big point producing defender, the guy will likely be averaging 35 points a season in his prime. He does so many other things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad