Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Jakob Chychrun to 6 year Extension ($4.6M AAV)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

He communicated a desire for a fresh start. It's not the same as stamping your feet and telling the GM to go f*** himself but it has the same end result; an organization that's not going to want to hang on to you as much anymore or consider you a sacred part of the core.

Max Domi scored his fourth of the year to open Arizona’s stunning 6–1 victory over Chicago on Monday night. It has been a hard year for the talented forward. The Coyotes are prepared to give him a fresh start, pending a fair offer. If it doesn’t come before the deadline, expect it at the draft.​

Is Coyotes forward Max Domi really on the trade block?

The player can say whatever they want after the fact. Maybe Domi immediately regretted whatever he said behind the scenes. It still resulted in him being traded at his lowest value. That's not something Chayka likes to do. So this narrative that Domi wanted to be a Coyote for life and the evil John Chayka just dashed his hopes one summer for no reason is not plausible.

That Domi had a fluke down year that resulted in him making it known he wanted out and then bouncing back the following year with extra motivation is far more likely.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He communicated a desire for a fresh start. It's not the same as stamping your feet and telling the GM to go **** himself but it has the same end result; an organization that's not going to want to hang on to you as much anymore or consider you a sacred part of the core.

Is Coyotes forward Max Domi really on the trade block?

The player can say whatever they want after the fact. Maybe Domi immediately regretted whatever he said behind the scenes. It still resulted in him being traded at his lowest value. That's not something Chayka likes to do. So this narrative that Domi wanted to be a Coyote for life and the evil John Chayka just dashed his hopes one summer for no reason is not plausible.

That Domi had a fluke down year that resulted in him making it known he wanted out and then bouncing back the following year with extra motivation is far more likely.
Nothing in that article supports what you said. It 100% supports that he never asked to be traded.

rt

May 13, 2004
In the days prior to the trade and after the trade, Domi was absolutely emphatic. Just as he was in the article you just posted but don’t seem to have read over.

rt

May 13, 2004
From the article you posted

“When asked about those reports on Friday, here’s what Domi said.

“I don’t know where anyone gets this information from, to be completely honest with you. For the most part, it’s all just rumors and that’s not up to me, it’s up to John and the management staff. I enjoy playing for the Coyotes, I love living here and hopefully I can stay for a long time.”

Domi said he does not feel the need for a fresh start. He feels comfortable in the Coyotes locker room, and with the new coaching staff.
“I love my teammates and being a part of this team,” he said. “I have lots of close friends in here.
“There are still 24 games left. I feel like my game is coming a little bit lately. There’s plenty of time to turn this around and get on a roll.”
If that roll comes with another team, Domi said he will accept it as part of the business, but he insisted it is not something he wants.
“John’s going to do what he thinks is best and that’s totally out of my control,” Domi said. “I have no say in what’s going to happen, but I don’t want to leave. I enjoy playing here. I haven’t had a great year so if it does happen, that’s on me.”

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Nothing in that article supports what you said. It 100% supports that he never asked to be traded.

I am asking you to read between the lines, because nobody is going to undermine their position by publicly admitting a trade demand if it can be helped. Players don't want to look bad and GMs don't want to get bent over a barrel.

You do not go from "this young player is having a bad season" - a young player that is the face of the franchise at that moment to boot - to dumping that player for an injured, mercurial Russian without some sort of motivating factor. The factor is that, at some point, Domi communicated that he wanted a fresh start somewhere else. The Coyotes did not just decide that for him out of the blue and then sell low on a prime asset for no reason after one bad season. Trading Domi was not on anyone's radar until it suddenly became a topic for various insiders. The same thing happened with Duclair.

A player can say whatever they like after the fact. That does not make it the sole truth.

rt

May 13, 2004
I am asking you to read between the lines, because nobody is going to undermine their position by publicly admitting a trade demand if it can be helped. Players don't want to look bad and GMs don't want to get bent over a barrel.

You do not go from "this young player is having a bad season" - a young player that is the face of the franchise at that moment to boot - to dumping that player for an injured, mercurial Russian without some sort of motivating factor. The factor is that, at some point, Domi communicated that he wanted a fresh start somewhere else. The Coyotes did not just decide that for him out of the blue and then sell low on a prime asset for no reason after one bad season. Trading Domi was not on anyone's radar until it suddenly became a topic for various insiders. The same thing happened with Duclair.

A player can say whatever they like after the fact. That does not make it the sole truth.
This was before the fact. Domi was as consistent as he was emphatic on this subject. Before and after.

Maybe he called Chayka a Pejorative Slur and threatened to atomic wedgie him if he wasn’t traded. Maybe Domi absolutely hated it here. You’ve offered nothing to support the notion.

Domi’s public statements may not be credible, even if they’re unwavering and passionate. That’s a fine position to take. I’m just seeing multiple posters beating the “unpopular in the room” drum and stating as a matter of fact that he wanted out. I haven’t yet seen anyone present one iota of this evidence. Not a speck.

That’s irritating to me. It’s revisionist and gossipy.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Keeping clicking on the new posts to see if anyone actually has any news about Chychrun, but no. Nope.

(Sorry to you other guys being in the same boat on that one.)

rt

May 13, 2004
Keeping clicking on the new posts to see if anyone actually has any news about Chychrun, but no. Nope.

(Sorry to you other guys being in the same boat on that one.)
The injury thread would probably be better than the signing thread for injury updates, anyway. Not that Domi talk is relevant. Still...why would you check here for injury updates?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
The injury thread would probably be better than the signing thread for injury updates, anyway. Not that Domi talk is relevant. Still...why would you check here for injury updates?

Cause I check everywhere. Thats why. ;)

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Maybe he called Chayka a ****** and threatened to atomic wedgie him if he wasn’t traded. Maybe Domi absolutely hated it here. You’ve offered nothing to support the notion.

Domi’s public statements may not be credible, even if they’re unwavering and passionate. That’s a fine position to take. I’m just seeing multiple posters beating the “unpopular in the room” drum and stating as a matter of fact that he wanted out. I haven’t yet seen anyone present one iota of this evidence. Not a speck.

That’s irritating to me. It’s revisionist and gossipy.

You have been around long enough to know that the public record is rarely the record of accord.

What happens in articles - if we get them at all - is rarely the unsanitized truth. It's fine to be annoyed by claims that undercut a player that you like (and that has since gone on to be exactly what the Coyotes need!) but there is no harm in examining the situation a little closer. I really doubt anyone is going to go on record and say "Max Domi? f*** that guy." If he isn't liked in the room or rubbed guys wrong I have no reason to doubt those claims because it takes something for those feelings to actually manifest. What would insiders here have to gain by lying, or what would former teammates have to gain by saying false things about someone that they spent a lot of time with? We don't hear about the guy that was a dick one time. We sometimes hear about how consistently shitty some players/coaches/organizations are long after the fact.

Choose to believe what you want. I believe Domi at some point communicated that his threshold for 'quitting' or desire to be in Arizona was fairly low, even if he came to regret it and worked towards rebuilding that relationship. It would be like a spouse dropping "well maybe we should get a divorce", things just wouldn't be the same after that, even if things were relatively good. Chucky is not an objectively better player to me, nor was/is he really without his risks. I do not believe a GM like Chayka makes that trade without some sort of motivating factor. I do not believe Domi's name gets suddenly thrust into the mouths of various insiders without word reaching them of the broken relationship.

I do not know why you continually cite relatively meaningless quotes from the player in question, as if it's a real possibility he'd say "Oh yeah Craig, I asked for a trade last Thursday over lunch. We'll see what happens." Things rarely are that transparent or go that poorly.

To me, it's very clear that something outside of Domi's play ultimately resulted in him being thrown overboard, given how it all played out. Your mileage may vary.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't get the rush to sign this deal or Dvo's. Why not at least let the players get back on the ice and show they are 100% before signing them? Did they save money by signing them before they were healthy? The contracts certainly don't look like it. This organization's entire process of managing young players looks really unorganized and sloppy. Don't get me wrong, I hope both these contracts look like steals in the future and I like both players a lot but the signings are bizarre in timing, amount of money, each players health at the time of signing and what each player has proven to deserve the contracts. The amount of blind trust and faith they've shown in these two compared to how little they seem to want Strome to develop just doesn't make sense. Throw in how Domi and Duclair were given up on and the head scout canned right AFTER the draft and I have to ask, what is the plan if there is one?

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I don't get the rush to sign this deal or Dvo's. Why not at least let the players get back on the ice and show they are 100% before signing them? Did they save money by signing them before they were healthy? The contracts certainly don't look like it. This organization's entire process of managing young players looks really unorganized and sloppy. Don't get me wrong, I hope both these contracts look like steals in the future and I like both players a lot but the signings are bizarre in timing, amount of money, each players health at the time of signing and what each player has proven to deserve the contracts. The amount of blind trust and faith they've shown in these two compared to how little they seem to want Strome to develop just doesn't make sense. Throw in how Domi and Duclair were given up on and the head scout canned right AFTER the draft and I have to ask, what is the plan if there is one?
Cause for all JC likes be an analytic guy, he's really an old time hockey guy. All of his moves along with these signings and our draft picks have been about character

Reactions: rt

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I believe Domi liked his teammates here. I believe Domi liked the state. I no longer believe he wanted to be a Coyote for life.

He's a Canadian boy who's dad played for some of the most storied franchises in the history of the NHL. We would be naive to think he wasn't influenced by this, as hard as it is to swallow, we are not a franchise people pray to play for. We are a franchise people are content being dealt to because of our ambience. Maybe some day, but not since the early 2000's.

AZ can be a good hockey market, and hopefully it will be. But personalities don't thrive here. It's tough to tell your long-life buddies who play in front of sold out crowds and receive media attention on the daily that you play for a sunbelt, mediocre team. Domi is enjoying his time in the lime-light. Making his dad proud, that's his persona. I can't hate it, happy for him and proud that he didn't shit on us like other "stars" did on their way out.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Is he non-tradable? Blues fan asking. If he is shoot what is reasonable price. Bill and Army are kind of really familiar to each other noteing how long time Bill was assistant for Army in Blues.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Is he non-tradable? Blues fan asking. If he is shoot what is reasonable price. Bill and Army are kind of really familiar to each other noteing how long time Bill was assistant for Army in Blues.

There is no "reasonable" price for a 23yo 1D making only $4.6m.

Too early to talk of trading him regardless.

Reactions: Ranksu and MIGs Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad