Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Jakob Chychrun to 6 year Extension ($4.6M AAV)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Under 4 and it's a steal. Decent chance it might be with his injuries.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I was pretty in favor of the Dvorak extension but a little iffy on this one unless it's just stupid cheap. I'd have waited for him to play a full season or at least play out this year strong.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Six years? Have we seen him enough to offer that kind of term? I'm a big fan of the kid and love his attitude and work ethic, but that's an interesting term.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Six years? Have we seen him enough to offer that kind of term? I'm a big fan of the kid and love his attitude and work ethic, but that's an interesting term.

Low AAV with the term + his injuries. If it goes bad, you aren't out a lot. If it goes right, you have a young top 3 locked down for six more years at a little over half the market rate.

20m or so is a lot of guaranteed money for someone like Chychrun with his injury history. From his perspective, it's an easy deal to sign.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ

I’d think no. He has played 118 games, and not yet a full season.

A bridge seems more appropriate to me.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Seems like a 400k overpay to me.

If he isnt the same player some team will trade for him at that cap hit in hopes he turns it around. It's not a cap breaker. Its either a steal or a slight over payment for a guy who has proven to be a top 4 defenseman before turning 20. GMs will always roll the dice on that, even with the injury risk.

Reactions: Jakey53

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Seems premature and poorly timed. Premature because of his history. He has 34 points in 118 games. Poorly timed, as his/their focus should have been recovering and re-integration, not banging out a pay day.

Just my opinion, though I expect the fan boys to flame me.

Reactions: 0point1

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Seems premature and poorly timed. Premature because of his history. He has 34 points in 118 games. Poorly timed, as his/their focus should have been recovering and re-integration, not banging out a pay day.

Just my opinion, though I expect the fan boys to flame me.

When you are a franchise that has a owner looking for every quater left under seats you take these risks. If you give the kid a bridge deal you may be paying him 6.5 in two years. Roll the dice to allow the franchise to afford some more expensive free agents and hope to f*** you made the right call.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Seems weird to sign another guy long term who is either injured or coming off multiple injuries. At least OEL is healthy I guess.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
That's not what I'd describe as stupid cheap. It's not a backbreaker or anything but I wouldn't have done it.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Very similar to the Dvorak signing. It shows that Chayka really believes in these two young guys. He thinks they'll break out sooner than later. The amounts are a bit high based on what's been achieved but they could become bargains. Small gamble. Either way, I like that these guys are locked in for the primes of their careers.

Reactions: Jakey53

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It will all come down to his health. If Chychrun can stay healthy then locking up a top 4 guy for a half dozen years in the mid $4m’s is good value.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad