Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Jakob Chychrun to 6 year Extension ($4.6M AAV)

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Tgere are 12 D men with a $7 million Cap, I doubt Chychrun joins that group in a couple years.
Have you seen the way contracts are going? Seattle in an expansion means the cap goes up more which means the contracts are going to continue to baloon.

Reactions: Grimes

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Have you seen the way contracts are going? Seattle in an expansion means the cap goes up more which means the contracts are going to continue to baloon.
3 were signed this season. Make the case for Chychrun to be in with Doughty, OEL, and Carlson??

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Very similar to the Shea Theodore deal.

Theodore
Age 23, left shot
7 years, 5.2 mil
114 career games, 0.39 pts/gp

Chychrun
Age 20, left shot
6 years, 4.6 mil
118 career games, 0.29 pts/gp

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
3 were signed this season. Make the case for Chychrun to be in with Doughty, OEL, and Carlson??
He is nowhere near tgat group and tge next group are guys like Schmidt, Ellis, and Dumba. He Isn't in that conversation either.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Very similar to the Shea Theodore deal.

Theodore
Age 23, left shot
7 years, 5.2 mil
114 career games, 0.39 pts/gp

Chychrun
Age 20, left shot
6 years, 4.6 mil
118 career games, 0.29 pts/gp
Couple minor differences, Theodore coming off a 29 point season and playing 1st pairing minutes. Chychrun barely over that in 2 seasons and playing 3rd pairing minutes. Coyotes jumped the gun again.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Huh? Theodore played 20:21 last season. Chychrun played 20:15. Six seconds. Theo got 15 more points, but he also played on a team that went to the SCF.
Chychrun played 5th on Coyotes, Theodore played 2nd on Knights. He's doing it again this year.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
He's going to playing second pairing minutes as soon as next season. Depends on when Goligoski is eventually traded.
Then bridge him and let him prove he can do it. He has done nothing yet to prove he is worth either of the amount or the term of this contract. A bridge at $3 million for a couple seasons is what an RFA contract for this player should look like.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Then bridge him and let him prove he can do it. He has done nothing yet to prove he is worth either of the amount or the term of this contract. A bridge at $3 million for a couple seasons is what an RFA contract for this player should look like.
This is what happens when you have a rookie GM and rookie owner. In the case of DVO and Chych they are overpaying with too much term. Neither has proven enough to get these contracts. If it works out for the Coyotes, they are lucky. Murphy was the same type of signing, too much term and money.

There is no need to guess, let them prove it first then pay them. I would have waited another year, let them prove it this year first, then sign them next summer. We have 2 injured players that are nor proven signed to long term deals. This is guess work because we don't know what we have (yet).

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
This contract completely depends on how his knees hold up. If he can get though these 6 years without a major issue, I think it’s a great signing and Chychrun’s surgeon should get a couple million from the Yotes as well.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That runs counter to Chayka's philosophy.

You've misread that quote entirely. Re: Vrbata, if you expected him to only score 20 goals, you wouldn't pay him for 35. That's it. It means not trading on past performance when that performance is unlikely to occur again.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
People are after Chayka for THIS? Of all things? Not about being so incredibly stupid as to trade Max Domi? But about signing a great young defenseman to a team friendly deal for a long term? Forget about throwing in the towel on a player like Max, though? Can we not be mad about keeping our great young players and instead be mad about not keeping them? Please?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
People are after Chayka for THIS? Of all things? Not about being so incredibly stupid as to trade Max Domi? But about signing a great young defenseman to a team friendly deal for a long term? Forget about throwing in the towel on a player like Max, though? Can we not be mad about keeping our great young players and instead be mad about not keeping them? Please?
Can you point out the great part so far in career please? I would not complain even once if that great was so apparent. There is plenty of risk in this contract for a poor team.

Reactions: cobra427

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I think people love the idea of it, but question the timing. I don't think anybody is unhappy with Chychrun sticking around for another 6 years, just weary of Coyote luck. I am happy, my first reaction was very positive. I agree with the idea that it is about 300-600k higher than I would want right now, but that's nothing to lose sleep about and it will be absolutely brilliant if he remains healthy over the years. He's a stud of a hockey player.

Reactions: Jakey53

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Can you point out the great part so far in career please? I would not complain even once if that great was so apparent. There is plenty of risk in this contract for a poor team.

I never agree with Jamie. Ever.

But I have to agree here. This could be a great contract. No doubt. I hope it is.

That said if Chych blows out a knee again we are in for a world of hurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad