Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Jakob Chychrun to 6 year Extension ($4.6M AAV)

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
A few comps of 2nd pair types:

Schmidt (age 27) - 5 years / $5.95M AAV
Theodore (23) as @Mosby shared - 7 / $5.2M
Hanifin (21)- 6/$4.95M
Ellis (27) - 7 / $6.25M
Skjei (24) - 6 / $5.25M
Dumba (23) - 5 / $6.0M
Chychrun (20) - 6 /$4.6M

Alternatively, Nurse (23) on a bridge 2 years/$3.25M AAV.

A few of those guys are considerably older and all are more established at this point. However, if you look at Theodore, Hanifin and Skjei as the closest comps Chayka did very well. While Nurse is going to command big $$ after his bridge.....Edm mismanagement again?

It's a risk, but I think a prudent move by Chayka...given the market.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
The risk is that if he isn’t signed and turns out to be great you either then can’t afford him or can’t afford some supporting cast if you do pony up. If he does work out well here he’s a steal and you can further compliment him with a signing elsewhere.

I also like how this and Dvorak’s signings show the other young guys that if they play well they’ll be rewarded early. I suspect we’ll see Keller extended in the offseason.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The risk is that if he isn’t signed and turns out to be great you either then can’t afford him or can’t afford some supporting cast if you do pony up. If he does work out well here he’s a steal and you can further compliment him with a signing elsewhere.

I also like how this and Dvorak’s signings show the other young guys that if they play well they’ll be rewarded early. I suspect we’ll see Keller extended in the offseason.
Wonder if we could somehow convince Keller to do a 6x6?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I think Chychrun is a stud in the making. Hell he's a top 4 already despite being only 20. TWENTY! That's pretty rare for a defenseman. Also let's not forget it wasn't that long ago this kid was being talked about as a lottery pick before people questioned his hockey sense. He's put that to rest already and is playing up to the insane potential many had originally projected. If he can stay healthy, he will be near OEL level within a couple of years. If that happens then the deal will be very good for the Coyotes. It's an educated gamble but a gamble nonetheless. That said, I'm ok with it considering his sky high ceiling. The injury history is concerning but IMO it's really the only knock on Chychrun at this point. All he needs to do to justify this contract is stay healthy, he could not improve at all (which I think highly unlikely) and it'd still be worth it if he stays healthy.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
People talking about Chychrun “proving himself as top 4” need to take a step back.

Chychrun is currently entering his draft +2 year. OEL spent 1/2 of his draft +1 year in the AHL, and wasn’t a regular NHL player until his draft +2 year. Besides being scratched a handful of times by Dino Dave in his rookie season, when healthy Chych has been a consistent player on the roster.

Health is a completely different issue.... but from what this guy has shown between the ages of 18-20, he’s going to be a special player.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Health is a completely different issue.... but from what this guy has shown between the ages of 18-20, he’s going to be a special player.

Yeah, I can't help thinking if the kid can stay healthy he could someday prove to be able to make the people that miss Yandle no longer miss Yandle.

Reactions: Mosby

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Yeah, I can't help thinking if the kid can stay healthy he could someday prove to be able to make the people that miss Yandle no longer miss Yandle.
I agree that if he stays healthy he will reach Yandle levels of awesomeness but I'd still miss Yandle because he had such an entertaining personality. Yandle will always be one of my all time favorite Yotes.

rt

May 13, 2004
Me too, he is better player than Domi and maybe a C, that alone makes him worth more.
Domi is like top ten in nhl scoring and playing full time at center. He and Morgan Reilly are basically the two surprise, break out players of the year so far. Domi is absolutely crushing it in Montreal as a number one center. I think he’s fifth I scoring among centers in the nhl right now.

Are you guys actually joking and I’m just too stupid to get it? Or is this some bizarre self delusion and denial?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Murphy never showed the play that Chick has. Murphy was so over rated by Coyote fans it was ridiculous. The reason he played with OEL is the same reason Demers is playing with OEL.
True Murphy wasn't a top pairing D like Demers isn't either. Chych has never had as good a year as Murphy had before he signed that 6 year deal. Add on an ACL tear in each knee and Chych is a risky signing. I hope Chayka is right on DVO and Chych and they prove to be great signings. For me, I had rather pay a lot more for known performance than a little more based on speculation of more performance.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Domi is like top ten in nhl scoring and playing full time at center. He and Morgan Reilly are basically the two surprise, break out players of the year so far. Domi is absolutely crushing it in Montreal as a number one center. I think he’s fifth I scoring among centers in the nhl right now.

Are you guys actually joking and I’m just too stupid to get it? Or is this some bizarre self delusion and denial?
Its a hot start for Domi, he isn't a 1C. Its 18 games not 82.

rt

May 13, 2004
True Murphy wasn't a top pairing D like Demers isn't either. Chych has never had as good a year as Murphy had before he signed that 6 year deal. Add on an ACL tear in each knee and Chych is a risky signing. I hope Chayka is right on DVO and Chych and they prove to be great signings. For me, I had rather pay a lot more for known performance than a little more based on speculation of more performance.
What?!? Chychrun has never had a year as good as Murphy had? Please make sure you REALLY pay attention to Chychrun play for the rest of the season. I think you’ve missed some things.

rt

May 13, 2004
Its a hot start for Domi, he isn't a 1C. Its 18 games not 82.
I’ve watched a few of the games in addition to the highlights. If he’s lucky, it’s because he’s making his own luck. He looks better right now than any Coyote has in the last half decade or so, at least. Still, you’re right. Small sample. We’ll have to wait and see. Same with Chychrun. I’m confident that this signing is going to be a huge steal. I think it will be by February. I also think Domi is going to make Chayka look stupid and probably cost him his job.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Much as a complain that Chychrun hasn't shown reason to be adorated yet, this signing is good for the Coyotes. It is worth the risk as the two injuries were different. One was a crushed meniscus and the other was an ACL IIRC.

Also, who are you guys kidding about Domi? Man's doing it. He's proving that he is a top 1C in this league. He wasn't happy here and no he's happy. Chucky is doing fine for us so I'm happy with this trade.

Reactions: CLW

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I’ve watched a few of the games in addition to the highlights. If he’s lucky, it’s because he’s making his own luck. He looks better right now than any Coyote has in the last half decade or so, at least. Still, you’re right. Small sample. We’ll have to wait and see. Same with Chychrun. I’m confident that this signing is going to be a huge steal. I think it will be by February. I also think Domi is going to make Chayka look stupid and probably cost him his job.
Chayka won't lose his job over Domi. We all know that. It's not as if he chose Strome over Marner. Chucky was an excellent return for Domi given Domi's awful performance last year and desire to be traded from the Coyotes.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
What?!? Chychrun has never had a year as good as Murphy had? Please make sure you REALLY pay attention to Chychrun play for the rest of the season. I think you’ve missed some things.
Nope, Chych never has, and I watch too:) You have to understand that I'm not enamored with paying for potential, age, or draft position, just performance. I hope it works, I'm saying its risky just like DVO and Murphy.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ

Seems like a reach to make a point. Chychrun could have been any middling young defenseman, and still been better than Murphy. In fact, everything about Chychrun's game at age 18 already looked mature. There's not much of a comparison there.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Domi is doing fantastic, but we are only 15 games in. Let's wait for a full season and see what happens. Still take Chucky.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chayka said he pays for future performance, but I'm with you, I pay for known performance not speculation, but maybe with the cap going crazy again and our financial situation the way it is he felt this was the way to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad