Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Dmitrij Jaškin (KHL) - 1 year/$3.2M

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe he's developed a bit. He's 28 now so old enough to have learned a thing or two without being really old. With a look especially since Bill knows the player.
Every time we sign a player everyone jumps for joy thinking they are the second coming. I guess we have to wait and see what BA has in the works as far as trades go.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe he's developed a bit. He's 28 now so old enough to have learned a thing or two without being really old. With a look especially since Bill knows the player.
He couldn't stick in the NHL in his prime, what makes you think he all of a sudden "he developed a bit"?

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
88 PIM in 303 games. Another friendly giant. So, what are we signing him for? Better than Fischer? Can he be exposed in the expansion draft?
Not a friendly giant. Having discipline and playing by the rules doesn't mean that. He had 207 hits in 17/18 with the Blues. He was 24 at the time. He's 28 now. Some time develop his offense.

This is an intriguing signing. We know he can bring size and physicality to the bottom 6. There's upside with his scoring as well. There have been some diamonds in the rough found from the KHL, Kaprizov, Panarin, Dadonov etc.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Jaskin has two career fights in the NHL. Fought two big, bad dudes in Roman Polak and Tom Wilson. He lost both and both were poor showings. So that's not really his game. He did average 191 Hits per 82gp in the NHL, though. So there's that. Which is kinda halfway between Fischer and Crouse, for reference, if that helps. He was an interesting prospect in the Q and had a promising start to his minor-pro career in the AHL. He had one good NHL season, from an offensive production standpoint.

Fancy stat guys liked his defensive play:

And his paly driving:
According to Natural Stat Trick, Jaskin drives play… big time. In the three seasons where he’s had over 50 games played, he’s never had an even-strength shot attempts percentage lower than 52.7 percent.

Having said all that, he didn't ever really get any specialty teams minutes, even on the PK. So I don't know about those charts claiming he's great defensively. So, a big sturdy guy, who had a ton of scoring potential and never realized it at the NHL level consistently, but was a good fourth liner with good fancy stats, and was not afraid of getting involved physically. He goes to the KHL and rediscovers his scoring touch. Can he bring it back with him is the question.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIGs Dog

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not a friendly giant. Having discipline and playing by the rules doesn't mean that. He had 207 hits in 17/18 with the Blues. He was 24 at the time. He's 28 now. Some time develop his offense.

This is an intriguing signing. We know he can bring size and physicality to the bottom 6. There's upside with his scoring as well. There have been some diamonds in the rough found from the KHL, Kaprizov, Panarin, Dadonov etc.
I guess we will soon find out. Almost anyone is better than Fischer.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
He couldn't stick in the NHL in his prime, what makes you think he all of a sudden "he developed a bit"?
He was a good looking 2nd rounder at the time and some players do take time (be it physically or mentally) to make the jump to the best league in the world. 28 is far from old and if he can come in and add 15-20 goals without being a liability at a cushy cost, I'm all for it. Look at Garland, he's only 3 years younger and putting up his first season of true top 6 play.

On top of that, we have seen guys come into the NHL, fail, go back to the KHL, succeed, return to become decent to above decent NHLers. At $750k or whatever he signs at (doubt it's above $1.0m) he's worth a gamble and some hope.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
c'mon, Jaskin was the goals leader with 38, next closest player was 28, he had 10 more than the next player

1 - Dmitrij Jaskin 38 (59 games)
2 - Teemu Hartikainen 28
3 - Stephane Da Costa 27
4 - Shane Prince 25
5 - Reid Boucher 24
6 - Alexei Makeyev 24
7 - Justin Danforth 23
8 - Markus Grandlund 23
9 - Nigel Dawes 23
10 - Anton Burdasov 23

I like the fact we're taking the #1 goal scorer in the league, it's not like we don't need players that can put it in the back of the net.
Wow. Dawes has been at the top of that league FOREVER.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Every time we sign a player everyone jumps for joy thinking they are the second coming. I guess we have to wait and see what BA has in the works as far as trades go.

We not thinking that...what we are thinking is that maybe they're better than the bottom guys on the roster. Anytime we can get better, I'm up for it. The only way we're going to make 'huge' improvements is to get better at drafting, we've seen how the UFA scene has worked out.

But if we can chip away at the bottom of the roster and improving it, it just helps move everything forward. We've replaced Caggiula with Bunting, now we look like replacing Fischer w/Jaskin, can't we be happy with improving the bottom of the roster?

Reactions: MIGs Dog

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Bunting - Dvorak - Garland
Keller - Hayton - Schmaltz
Jaskin - Jenik - Pitlick
Crouse - Larsson - Kessel

Chychrun - Hamilton
OEL - Lyubushkin
Goligoski - Soderstrom

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If he can specialize in even one area he will be better than Fischer.

Good size. It’d be nice to have someone beyond Bunting who will stand in front of the net.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Maybe he was a late developer. It's possible. What's it hurt to take a flyer on him? Obviously Bill is familiar with the player. Maybe he thinks he should get a second chance. I'm good with that. It's not like we'll have a shit ton of prospects filling all the roster spots next year.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Not one person in this thread or regular poster on this board thinks that. Not one. I think the consensus is what the hell, can't hurt to take a look at the player. Unless you're talking the second coming of Tipchura. Maybe someone thinks that.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Armstrong signing players he was very familiar with drafting with the Blues. This is not a surprising move. We will see more of this.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Nobody thinks we signed the next Panarin. Of course there’s hope this player can be something other than Christian Fischer or Dryden Hunt, but “the second coming?” Come on man.

Last edited:

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I was so pumped for Miele and Shinimin (spelling?) but nothing came from them. Both completely different players than this guy, but still, my expectations are low.

I said the same about Lyubushkin, and while he’s not exactly a star, I’ve been pleasantly surprised. We’ll see.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I was so pumped for Miele and Shinimin (spelling?) but nothing came from them. Both completely different players than this guy, but still, my expectations are low.

I said the same about Lyubushkin, and while he’s not exactly a star, I’ve been pleasantly surprised. We’ll see.

He's the perfect example of why you sign guys like this. You hope to find someone serviceable that costs you nothing. If the player becomes anything more than that, you're incredibly lucky. As Coyote fans, we know that kind of luck never makes it to Arizona.

Reactions: RABBIT

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Nigel Dawes.

Wasn't he the guy we traded for and he put up 0 after we acquired him? haha. I can't remember quite well, those were the first years I started following the sport.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
:laugh:He got more goals in one year in the KHL in 59 games than he did in the NHL (27) in 303 games. That tells you what kind of league the KHL is. Dumpster diving I tell ya, and if you believe other wise that's your perogative.

Another player Garland got more goals in the NHL - 45 in 160 games than he did in the AHL (25 in 131 games)

Therefore your logic concludes that AHL > NHL

It's dangerous to make snap judgments on the quality of entire leagues simply based on one player's stats.

Jaskin clearly found something that worked spectacularly well. I'd be interested to know how the team was set up to feed him all those goalscoring situations. BA is motivated to promise him the ice time he wants to try and succeed in the NHL. BA also wants to 'prove' his pick was a good player which is either good/bad depending on whether he's right..

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
:laugh:He got more goals in one year in the KHL in 59 games than he did in the NHL (27) in 303 games. That tells you what kind of league the KHL is. Dumpster diving I tell ya, and if you believe other wise that's your perogative.
I dont see the harm in giving this guy a chance over some like Fischer, Hunt and Hayden. Those three have accounted for 4g - 10a - 14p in 83 combined games. I like my chances for one of the KHL leading scorers to contribute more than 4g - 10a - 14p in a single season.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
Remember Tikhonov? At the time he was “doing well” in the KHL. 3g-3a-6 pts in 50 games upon returning to the NHL. Just hoping that Jaskin will at least be better all around than 1 goal Fischer. The 1 yr contract will maybe keep him motivated and/or low risk.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe he was a late developer. It's possible. What's it hurt to take a flyer on him? Obviously Bill is familiar with the player. Maybe he thinks he should get a second chance. I'm good with that. It's not like we'll have a shit ton of prospects filling all the roster spots next year.
As I understand it the Blues waived him and so did the Caps. He already had a second chance with the Caps and they waived him and no other team claimed him. If he was 23 or 24 I would be fine to give a guy a second chance, but at 28 no thank you. If I'm looking for a positive I guess it would be that he will replace Fischer or some other bottom six dead beat we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad