Prospect Info: Coyotes Prospect Camp (June 26-30)

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We really need a coach...won't win many games using only half the rink.

In the spirit of change, we've decided to keep the puck entirely in the offensive zone instead of being hemmed in and overwhelmed.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'm here again with my wife and brother in law if anyone wants to come by. My wife and I have the all red jerseys, mine is blank. I'm a big bald dude wearing shorts and flip flops, shouldn't be too hard to find.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Ok, so how did it go?

I'll have some video later.

For what I saw, I didn't think the particular drills they were doing today were all that conducive to the untrained eye test :P.

They had some fancy setup from XCEL Sport Testing:
http://www.xcelsporttesting.com/

Each player had a little wrist band, maybe they were wired up elsewhere but I couldn't tell. Anyway they would go through these electronic pylons which took the place of cones.

And when they'd run their various drills through them I assume it timed them and perhaps provided other data. You could see the coaches (and it seemed like there were some XCEL people there as well) checking an app on their phone for results.

I mainly watched Strome, TBH it didn't seem like he had his best day agility wise :laugh:.

Caught a bit of Merkley before I had to leave, he's such a smooth skater with the puck to the point where it seems effortless. Was able to keep the puck with him the entire time and seemed to know exactly how fast he could go to keep it in control. Most of the other guys were not that way, they'd start a sequence and bobble the puck, restart it again. Fall down on a hard stop, start a third time.

Fischer was sort of the exact opposite, he would get a head of straight line steam and pick the puck up again after a turn.

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I don't think I saw Keller there. I saw a lot of Garland though. Doing nothing. Besides falling down on a skating drill.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I saw a Merkley stick at BTM once, It's huuuuuge, like three or four inches longer than Strome's and he's like four inches shorter. I don't know how he can handle the puck with that thing lol

*I'm aware that sounds bad...

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Thanks for the info, but now that Playfair is gone, who the hell is running drills? !?!

Videos and info, please, whoever is able to attend. Extra curious about the 2015 draft guys.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I saw a Merkley stick at BTM once, It's huuuuuge, like three or four inches longer than Strome's and he's like four inches shorter. I don't know how he can handle the puck with that thing lol

*I'm aware that sounds bad...

As long as you didn't mention Burns and Thornton, today you're probably okay.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Thanks for the info, but now that Playfair is gone, who the hell is running drills? !?!

Videos and info, please, whoever is able to attend. Extra curious about the 2015 draft guys.

Chayka mentioned to Doug and wolf yesterday that it wasn't the custom to have the NHL coaching staff run these anyway. He stated it was typically the development staff. He mentioned the Van Ryn is head of development and it's his camp.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
As previously mentioned, I arrived late, because I'm a sloth. This allowed me to see Miska and Castor, as well as the D and F groups Joseph, Fischer, Keller, Looke, Entwistle and Hoefenmayer among other less notables.

Here are my observations and thoughts.

Karow was simply present. I knew he was there; he didn't cause me notice one way of another.

Miska > Castor. He moved laterally better (smooth, efficient) and seemed to stop more shots and control rebounds better.

Castor is larger than Miska.

Merkely gained significant size. I'm guessing he is about 15 pounds heavier than last year. Merkely looked like he was trying harder than Keller and looked better than Keller in speed and agility tests.

Fischer looked great. I can't say I remember him shining last year in camp. He was fast and executed the agility and speed drills well, even with the puck. Fischer is ready.

Looke also looked good and was putting out effort.

Entwistle, Joseph and Hoefenmayer look promising. None seemed nervous. Entwistle is a big kid. Joseph appears smoother and faster than the other two.

Ryan Gagnon, interesting walk on? Sorry, I didn't take notice on this 21 year old, undrafted RHD until the end of their agility and speed testing.

Rbenj

May 10, 2007
Surprise AZ
Interested to know how Keller's body language is, and his try.
Saw a few video clips last season where he can be seen on the background lookin' kinda upset, or some might even say moping. Hopefully those meant nothing.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Interested to know how Keller's body language is, and his try.
Saw a few video clips last season where he can be seen on the background lookin' kinda upset, or some might even say moping. Hopefully those meant nothing.

I'd be moping too if I got a 25k bonus by playing 5 games and my coach sat me when games were meaningless.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Vidyas:

Strome backs into the flag at 12:00 or so which is mildly amusing.

The second video is probably more interesting, might want to wait till both finish processing.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I'd be moping too if I got a 25k bonus by playing 5 games and my coach sat me when games were meaningless.

That had nothing to do with it. Keller never showed he had any issues with playing just in a couple of games. He knew he was there to learn a little bit and get a feel for what would be needed come the following year. Plus he had just finished playing a crap load of games leading into the Frozen Four.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That had nothing to do with it. Keller never showed he had any issues with playing just in a couple of games. He knew he was there to learn a little bit and get a feel for what would be needed come the following year. Plus he had just finished playing a crap load of games leading into the Frozen Four.

Yes, and Turris didn't have any problems right up until he demanded a trade.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Your argument is that players don't remember when they're slighted. They do. Pretty simple stuff.

Never said that. And you know I didn't say that, but you want to change the argument.

Unless you can come up with something that shows Keller saying or expressing he was slighted, then you're just projecting your own personal opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad