Prospect Info: Coyotes Prospect Camp (June 26-30)

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Whaaaaaaaaaaat right down the street from me badass. That's like seriously 5 minutes from my house.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The camps held at GRA last year were GREAT.

I dunno I think they lost something in comparison to the ones held at the various smaller rinks. The enthusiasm and atmosphere is a lot better with a standing room only crowd at the small rink compared to everyone all spread out across a big arena.

Tom Polakis

Eternal Optimist
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Will they have the 'red vs. white' game like last Summer at GRA? Two things I remember thinking from that game were: "that Strome kid not only doesn't look dominant, but he looks invisible," and "Conor Garland is putting on quite a show; he'll never play in the NHL."

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Will they have the 'red vs. white' game like last Summer at GRA? Two things I remember thinking from that game were: "that Strome kid not only doesn't look dominant, but he looks invisible," and "Conor Garland is putting on quite a show; he'll never play in the NHL."

I think that one is usually during camp/preseason.

There will be a development scrimmage on the 30th though.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I never understood why they didn't at least do the intersquad game on the weekend so people could actually go watch

It's like the actively want to discourage people from becoming invested in the team

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I never understood why they didn't at least do the intersquad game on the weekend so people could actually go watch

It's like the actively want to discourage people from becoming invested in the team

Yes, they seem to really enjoy doing that.

What makes you think they could just get AZ Ice to clear their schedule on one of their rinks to have the game??

Sometimes the logistics just aren't there.

I happen to work weekends (Fri-Tues) but get off early enough on the 30th to make it from 59th and Bethany up to AZIce for most of the scrimmage, so this actually works out for me.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Our NHL team can't out-muscle public skate? Wow ...

Always enjoy these events. Great to see the young players in person ... even if you walk away convinced that Brandon Gormley and Conor Garland are about to break out :laugh:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Always enjoy these events. Great to see the young players in person ... even if you walk away convinced that Brandon Gormley and Conor Garland are about to break out :laugh:

They want it closer to the arena, closer to the draft, and away from Scottsdale.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Yup, stupid.

What makes you think they could just get AZ Ice to clear their schedule on one of their rinks to have the game??

Sometimes the logistics just aren't there.

I happen to work weekends (Fri-Tues) but get off early enough on the 30th to make it from 59th and Bethany up to AZIce for most of the scrimmage, so this actually works out for me.

Then stay at GRA. They are the major tenant and should have some pull.

:laugh:Your right, and it is only for a couple of hours. I'm sure something could have been worked out. Have a signing sessions after the game or something that involves the players.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
:laugh:Your right, and it is only for a couple of hours. I'm sure something could have been worked out. Have a signing sessions after the game or something that involves the players.

I think it would behoove us all to remember that not only are these kid players the rawest rookies, but many of them aren't even under contract to the Coyotes yet. This "event" is basically like a draft combine, except it's not taken as seriously. That they're even opening it up to fans at all is a total bonus.

If it were training camp, then that'd be a different story, but this is basically just a get-to-know-you session.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm not going to disagree wih you, Feck, but you'd think you'd try to take advantage of the opportunities to endear yourself to the market.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm not going to disagree wih you, Feck, but you'd think you'd try to take advantage of the opportunities to endear yourself to the market.

Well, yeah, but before I'd make a big deal out of something as relatively inconsequential as this, I'd work on the big issues - like making the arena experience less sterile and generic, like embracing local flavor and actually trying to appeal to more people than one specific group (I can't ever remember any sort of Latino outreach by this team, for instance), etc.

This particular meet-and-greet session is appealing to hardcore fans but isn't really a draw at all for people that the team needs to capture in-market, any more than OTAs are for the Cards (although given the level of attention shown those by Arizona Sports, you would never guess it).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think it would behoove us all to remember that not only are these kid players the rawest rookies, but many of them aren't even under contract to the Coyotes yet. This "event" is basically like a draft combine, except it's not taken as seriously. That they're even opening it up to fans at all is a total bonus.

If it were training camp, then that'd be a different story, but this is basically just a get-to-know-you session.

So be it. Other cities make it a big deal, and so could the Coyotes. It's kind of the start of a new year, talk to the players, sign autographs, give away s---. Not hard to do and would not cost much. Do the same thing for training camp, but guess what, they do dick all there also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->