Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Acquire Anthony DeAngelo

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
If he plays like crap definitely, but again it took a looooong time for him to do it to ribs. I could be misremembering but I remember it being very late in the season and he'd been playing lazily for a good half the season already.

Seems to me he isn't as leniant towards the young kids. Look no further than Duclair's ice-time last year.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Let's go ahead and call him "The Situation." :D

2uppu9x.jpg

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's make or break time for DeAngelo, he'll either meet NHL standards or bust. Fine use of the pick, given the upside and need.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Certainly seems like the team is shifting to a quick transition style game. Tippett loved Yandles game and how he could transition the play. DeAngelo has some of the same instincts. IF his offense outweighs the turnovers/defensive gaffs, he could get some playing time under DT.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
If he plays like crap definitely, but again it took a looooong time for him to do it to ribs. I could be misremembering but I remember it being very late in the season and he'd been playing lazily for a good half the season already.

Misremembering IMO, he started pairing him with plugs like Moss early, attempting to wake him up.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

But Ribs was one of Tipp's favs on a pretty hefty contract, so it takes him longer to act (see Smith and Chips) against those players. I honestly don't think Tipp was much involved in some of the draft selections (apart from approving the trades). If anything, he may have found someone to share ice-time with Z once Stone returns.

While Stone recovers:
OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - Z
Connauton - DeAngelo OR Dahlbeck - Connauton

When Stone returns:
OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - Stone
Connauton (Dahlbeck) - Z/DeAngelo (Connauton)

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Seems to me he isn't as leniant towards the young kids. Look no further than Duclair's ice-time last year.

But again was that attitude or on ice play(turnovers, defense, penalties)? You can't totally separate the two of course so that makes it tougher. I'm just saying the DT takes no crap statement may not be true, at least attitude wise.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Misremembering IMO, he started pairing him with plugs like Moss early, attempting to wake him up.

If that was a disciplinary measure then yes he acted quickly, but if any of the rumors about ribs behavior and the stuff he admitted were true was this enough of a measure? Our locker room leadership may be enough to keep him in line anyway though.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
If that was a disciplinary measure then yes he acted quickly, but if any of the rumors about ribs behavior and the stuff he admitted were true was this enough of a measure? Our locker room leadership may be enough to keep him in line anyway though.

In retrospect no, not enough of a measure, but considering a typical coach mentality with his most skilled player, quite understandable. Honestly, I don't think he could have done anything to improve the situation. Ribs needed to either fall hard, or get help.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Ribiero is way different story than some roster bubble rookie. If he starts to become a problem will get dropped at the bus station with a ticket to Tucson.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
In retrospect no, not enough of a measure, but considering a typical coach mentality with his most skilled player, quite understandable. Honestly, I don't think he could have done anything to improve the situation. Ribs needed to either fall hard, or get help.

Very true. Basically all I'm saying is that like or hate DT, I don't think you can say he'll straighten guys with character issues out because he takes no BS. He hasn't come down hard on guys with character issues in the past. It's also true though that if the guy is a turd and wants to be a turd he'll be a turd. Our locker room and leadership group also could be good enough to help straighten him out. I'd imagine it's tough to ignore Doan when he's telling you to knock it off.
Ribiero is way different story than some roster bubble rookie. If he starts to become a problem will get dropped at the bus station with a ticket to Tucson.

Hopefully that's the case, and it should be.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
For a 2nd, this is low risk high reward. Loving GMJC's aggressiveness. I don't think this as trade GMDM would have made.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Dave Tippett is great pals with Jeff Halpern who is a coach for Syracuse. Tippett also coached Trent Cull for three seasons in Houston of the AHL. Cull is also a coach for Syracuse. Further, the Coyotes just drafted Chychrun who played with DeAngelo in Sarnia. They had an opportunity to speak with the Chychrun family, including mom and dad. The Coyotes also have Michael Bunting under contract from the Soo. Coyotes defenseman Connor Murphy was also a teammate of DeAngelo's in Sarnia. And Trevor Letowski is a former Coyote.

Let's hope we made some phone calls and utilized connections.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
TB's statement on the trade from their site:

Lightning director of amateur scouting Al Murray said the Bolts were able to nab a first-round caliber player in the early stages of the second round by moving up, and Hajek was a “safer bet†than DeAngelo to be able to adapt both offensively and defensively at the NHL level.

“You have to give sometimes to get,†Murray said. “Libor Hajek, he’s a bigger body, and he’s a very solid two-way player.â€

Tampa Bay general manager Steve Yzerman indicated the trade to get Hajek wasn’t an indictment on the development of DeAngelo but more of a reflection of the potential the Bolts see in Hajek.

“We think Anthony’s an outstanding young prospect,†Yzerman said. “We’ve watched Libor Hajek for two years now. He’s a player we considered taking in the first round. When we saw him there in the second, we were trying to figure out a way to get him, and it was very expensive using picks and what not. Ultimately, we thought (trading up) was the best route o acquire him.â€

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
They're not going to trash him publicly. I'm sure they have other reasons for the trade, privately.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Yeah, guy sounds like a ****** and probably will never turn out, but still a risk worth taking for our GM.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
They're not going to trash him publicly. I'm sure they have other reasons for the trade, privately.

Oh I wouldn't expect them to either, just putting what they said about it out there.

It is worth noting that:
-Chayka said they had asked TB about him at the deadline, nothing happened so they weren't exactly shoving him out the door as fast as they could.
-Chayka did acknowledge in so many words that he has some maturing to do off the ice, so clearly there is enough there that it was worth mentioning the least.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think he will be a good player. Maybe not the best defensively but he will be a weapon for your offense for sure. If he learns how to take care of his own net first he will be very good. I think he wanted a chance to play in the nhl now rather than wait a year. TB likes to take their good ole time with their prospects, even if they are highly talented(remember Drouin). I think Yzerman and Murray were hoping he would stay in the AHL until he ironed out his D.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
But Ribs was one of Tipp's favs on a pretty hefty contract, so it takes him longer to act (see Smith and Chips) against those players. I honestly don't think Tipp was much involved in some of the draft selections (apart from approving the trades). If anything, he may have found someone to share ice-time with Z once Stone returns.

While Stone recovers:
OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - Z
Connauton - DeAngelo OR Dahlbeck - Connauton

When Stone returns:
OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - Stone
Connauton (Dahlbeck) - Z/DeAngelo (Connauton)
Interested to see how often Tip goes with 7 DMen, might be perfect for DeAngelo; PP minutes, O-zone starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad