Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
our Defensive prospect depth doesn't look to shabby now

Chychrun
DeAngelo
Capobianco
Wood

not bad at all

You're fogetting Dineen. Or it has happened since but he is a decent enough prospect to add to the list.

I don't see it as anything to be worried about especially if he makes the team this year. Doan will keep him in line.

I am a little concerned with the lack of a contract right now to be honest with you. From what I've heard both Doan wants to come back for another year and Chakya wants him back so what is taking so long?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I am a little concerned with the lack of a contract right now to be honest with you. From what I've heard both Doan wants to come back for another year and Chakya wants him back so what is taking so long?

Waiting to see what FAs sign and where that leaves them.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Chychrun is a beast. DeAngelo is pretty short but he's more Domi-like than Keller-like. Wood and Capobianco are both huge. Dineen is small.

Capobianco is average NHL size. Probably a bit undersized for an NHL dman.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If I recall correctly he fell because he said something racist or homophobic. As a teenager.

Makes me nervous that Tampa was willing to let him go.

Doan will straighten him out fast.:nod:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
One concern is how lightweight a team we are building. Certainly a different ideology then Maloney had in that regard.

I think that kind of team can work on today's game. Yeah you'll always have big physical teams like the kings or sharks, but a lot of teams with small speedy skilled players are succeeding now. Also if we keep hanzal he's giant, domi is short but by no means small, Fischer and perlini are big, merkley plays bigger than he is, I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting too. I really liked brown our scouts have earned the benefit of the doubt big time, and I don't think our teams size is should be a big concern.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think that kind of team can work on today's game. Yeah you'll always have big physical teams like the kings or sharks, but a lot of teams with small speedy skilled players are succeeding now. Also if we keep hanzal he's giant, domi is short but by no means small, Fischer and perlini are big, merkley plays bigger than he is, I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting too. I really liked brown our scouts have earned the benefit of the doubt big time, and I don't think our teams size is should be a big concern.

Pens just won a Cup on the strength of skill + speed. I think we'll be fine.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
"I wish things could have been different but I think this is better for all involved," said DeAngelo's father, Lou. "We are thankful for the opportunity... We were looking for an opportunity to play in the NHL sooner rather than later."

Yikes

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Pens just won a Cup on the strength of skill + speed. I think we'll be fine.

Precisely. That quote from deangelo's dad is a little scary, a father that involved can be bad.

That's not that bad X. Just a poor choice of words with the intention of expressing excitement of seeing his son play in the NHL.

Hopefully, he better not he a turris trying to force his way onto the roster.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That's not that bad X. Just a poor choice of words with the intention of expressing excitement of seeing his son play in the NHL.

A parent shouldn't be commenting on anything after a trade. This is not common.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
A parent shouldn't be commenting on anything after a trade. This is not common.

It is common when the parent is asked. It is common when there has been behavior issues. It is common with controversial players/situations.

Kind of like Larry Fitzgerald's dad going off on the Cardinals because his son wasn't getting the ball. When the parent is involved, or asked about something, it's not that big of a deal.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I don't know much about the situation, but c'mon, the kid is from NJ and grew up near Philly. Having lived in NJ, I heard plenty of fa-bombs and g-bombs (not sure which would be censored so I'll just add these) from teenagers (and some adults). It's nothing a potential a good "culture" management course couldn't fix (if it happens again, he seems to have matured quite a bit after those situations).

In terms of the father's comments, although somewhat inappropriate, he is also from NJ and lives near Philly, so terse comments are not unusual. I mean his son is going from a perennial contender to a "lucky to get to the playoffs" team.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
And DT isn't going to put up with any BS.

Not to derail the thread, but is this really true? When he was fired from dallas the GM mentioned he was too much of a players coach. He did eventually bench ribs in the one season he played here but with his play and effort level that could've happened earlier imo. DT definitely preaches defensive responsibility and limiting turnovers, so as far as that goes he'd straighten out Deangelo, but he may be too tolerant of troubled players doing troubled things. Of course we will have Doan in the locker room, and Domi seems to be a vocal leader as well, so hopefully the locker room would straighten him out anyway.

Before the speculation and opinion police have an aneurysm, this is mostly speculation, and like all posts contains many opinions.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Not to derail the thread, but is this really true? When he was fired from dallas the GM mentioned he was too much of a players coach. He did eventually bench ribs in the one season he played here but with his play and effort level that could've happened earlier imo. DT definitely preaches defensive responsibility and limiting turnovers, so as far as that goes he'd straighten out Deangelo, but he may be too tolerant of troubled players doing troubled things. Of course we will have Doan in the locker room, and Domi seems to be a vocal leader as well, so hopefully the locker room would straighten him out anyway.

Before the speculation and opinion police have an aneurysm, this is mostly speculation, and like all posts contains many opinions.

I don't think DT is that kind of "players' coach." He will definitely bench DeAngelo if he plays like crap or has a bad attitude. See: Rundblad, Gormley, etc.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I don't think DT is that kind of "players' coach." He will definitely bench DeAngelo if he plays like crap or has a bad attitude. See: Rundblad, Gormley, etc.

If he plays like crap definitely, but again it took a looooong time for him to do it to ribs. I could be misremembering but I remember it being very late in the season and he'd been playing lazily for a good half the season already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad