Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Acquire Anthony DeAngelo

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Wow, so he is a risk if he has character issues but at least he's a high reward risk. Didn't chayka even say something like when trading the 37th pick the risk vs reward balance is right?

This draft looks like it took a massive nosedive after the first round. A ton of overages were taken, so I can see why we might not like anyone at 37.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Sticks and stones boys.

Sure the worlds moving away from what can be considered callous remarks/names, but we're not there yet, DeAngelo's situation is part of that progression and he can and most likely has/will move away from what has been his norm. More often than not things like this are said w/o any consideration of there actual meaning.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Sticks and stones boys.

Sure the worlds moving away from what can be considered callous remarks/names, but we're not there yet, DeAngelo's situation is part of that progression and he can and most likely has/will move away from what has been his norm. More often than not things like this are said w/o any consideration of there actual meaning.

I agree, honestly the thing that worries me is his willingness to learn. The fact that he keeps making the same stupid decisions that is worrying

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's not the name calling that worries me. It's the fear that he's not coachable. He plays an electrifying high octane skill game. They're going to want him to tone it down and make sure he's covering the basics. That's going to require some serious coaching and buy in on his part. I don't think Tampa cut ties because he's got a dirty mouth and hurts too many feelings.

rt

May 13, 2004
Phenomenally talented. Quite small for a Dman AND has maturity issues.

His size doesn't actually bother me. He's got that Domi strength and that Domi swagger, and all that piss and vinegar. It's not the ideal frame for a D but there are plenty of D who's size would concern me more that are highly effective. Vatanen, Spurgeon, Dumba, Karlsson, Ghostisbere, Ellis, etc.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Gostisbehere is a good comparison, they're basically the same size now. He gets near Ghosts ability to completely change a team... the Coyotes will be very good, very quickly.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It's not the name calling that worries me. It's the fear that he's not coachable. He plays an electrifying high octane skill game. They're going to want him to tone it down and make sure he's covering the basics. That's going to require some serious coaching and buy in on his part. I don't think Tampa cut ties because he's got a dirty mouth and hurts too many feelings.

This. If he doesn't want to play D and tone it down so he doesn't become captain turnover than he's useless. Agreed on his size as well, he looks pretty filled out and stocky. Ideally he's a few inches taller but it's not a huge deal.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Again, as the video says S. Jersey/S. Philly area (bad area if you are easily offended and a big advocate of political correctness).

This is pretty liberal area, actually. Most people aren't offensive. It still has scores of people who say all kinds of things like any metro area, but the word around here and in New Jersey is that this kid has tons of attitude. It could be a challenge to harness it the right way. Some people in this area thought the local ties may prompt drafting him to the Flyers, that it would be a nice story, but if I have a feel for the fans, it was that he was more headache than he was worth.

FYI, I used to live in Sewell, where he is from. Now I just live a fart outside Sewell.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
This is pretty liberal area, actually. Most people aren't offensive. It still has scores of people who say all kinds of things like any metro area, but the word around here and in New Jersey is that this kid has tons of attitude. It could be a challenge to harness it the right way. Some people in this area thought the local ties may prompt drafting him to the Flyers, that it would be a nice story, but if I have a feel for the fans, it was that he was more headache than he was worth.

FYI, I used to live in Sewell, where he is from. Now I just live a fart outside Sewell.

I posted a link the day we aquired him, to a Tampa Bay article that also had a video and it was clear in watching that, that he had attitude in spades.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
As someone who grew up in Philly, just across the bridge from South Jersey, I'd temper that appraisal by mentioning there is a particular type of old school Philly loudmouth that, while not the dominant part of the local culture, is a pretty sizable influence. The sort of people who will go out of their way to shout homophobic slurs at you because your shorts are shorter than theirs, or who will happily share their atavistic race theories with you as long as they don't think any ******* are around. Deangelo, for reasons beyond the words that got him suspended, seems to be cut from that cloth. I'd like to hope he outgrows it, but I've heard enough geriatric south Philly morons spouting their revolting opinions that I certainly don't think it's a given. It's a cultural issue as much as a maturity one.

rt

May 13, 2004
As someone who grew up in Philly, just across the bridge from South Jersey, I'd temper that appraisal by mentioning there is a particular type of old school Philly loudmouth that, while not the dominant part of the local culture, is a pretty sizable influence. The sort of people who will go out of their way to shout homophobic slurs at you because your shorts are shorter than theirs, or who will happily share their atavistic race theories with you as long as they don't think any ******* are around. Deangelo, for reasons beyond the words that got him suspended, seems to be cut from that cloth. I'd like to hope he outgrows it, but I've heard enough geriatric south Philly morons spouting their revolting opinions that I certainly don't think it's a given. It's a cultural issue as much as a maturity one.

Meh. Could be he just got caught up playing the part because he's a dumb kid far away from home. Could be he mellows. He's got a lot of money riding on cleaning up his act. Call it 50/50? Better odds that pick 37 - haha

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Meh. Could be he just got caught up playing the part because he's a dumb kid far away from home. Could be he mellows. He's got a lot of money riding on cleaning up his act. Call it 50/50? Better odds that pick 37 - haha

It's definitely worth the risk. The numbers he put up in the OHL are off the charts. If he can become a passable defensive player, there's no reason why he can't be a valuable top four defenseman. I'm just saying the "maturity issues" aren't a given to work themselves out.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

It's definitely worth the risk. The numbers he put up in the OHL are off the charts. If he can become a passable defensive player, there's no reason why he can't be a valuable top four defenseman. I'm just saying the "maturity issues" aren't a given to work themselves out.

A little alone time with Doan and Hanzal and he should be fine.:nod: Not only are his numbers good in the OHL, but also the AHL.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
I love Shane Doan to death, but I'm not sure I buy that he's the "fixer". There have been handfuls of instances during the Maloney era where the team had locker room issues.

rt

May 13, 2004
https://www.google.com/amp/www.toda...ngelo-rewards-risk-taking/amp/?client=safari#

I don't get the strippers and blow dark side vibes. Not like Ribeiro. I get basic meat head vibes. More like Downie. Which won't hack it in the corporate world but should be workable as a professional athlete. I feel like he's one good girlfriend from turning it around or one bad girlfriend from screwing it up forever. Haha. Somebody find this kid a church mouse!

rt

May 13, 2004
Said who? A fellow poster?

Ribeiro was a screw up and a cancer. Steve Downie could not stop taking horrible penalties because of severe lack of discipline. Carcillo was a bully and a cancer. Abused rookies like Boedker and was a terrible teammate that constantly hurt the team with bad penalties. Mike Smith never ceases to publicly shame, berate, blame and embarrass his teammates. Kyle Turris stopped skating and literally hurt the team on purpose, on the ice, in real games.

I'm not saying Doan is a bad leader. I think he's one of the best. But he doesn't fix personalities. He's not a behavioral psychiatrist.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Ribeiro was a screw up and a cancer. Carrillo was a bully and a cancer. Mike Smith never ceases to publicly shame, berate, blame and embarrass his teammates. Kyle Turris stopped skating and literally hurt the team on purpose, on the ice, in real games.

I'm not saying Doan is a bad leader. I think he's one of the best. But he doesn't fix personalities. He's not a behavioral psychiatrist.

Mueller also had crap effort level the year we wanted to trade him.

rt

May 13, 2004
Mueller also had crap effort level the year we wanted to trade him.

Thought about retiring to become a pastor. Thought about it loudly enough that everyone heard about it.

Again, Doan is not a bad leader. He's one of the best. Hockey players don't fix severe character flaws in their teammates. That's all. None of them.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ribeiro was a screw up and a cancer. Steve Downie could not stop taking horrible penalties because of severe lack of discipline. Carcillo was a bully and a cancer. Abused rookies like Boedker and was a terrible teammate that constantly hurt the team with bad penalties. Mike Smith never ceases to publicly shame, berate, blame and embarrass his teammates. Kyle Turris stopped skating and literally hurt the team on purpose, on the ice, in real games.

I didn't say he was, but overall our leaders in the room have done a really good job, in my opinion at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00