COVID-19: The final countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
95% efficacy means that there is a one in twenty chance. That said, if it is anything like other vaccines, even if you get the virus again the impact should be lessened by quite a bit.
It means your chance of catching it is 20x less than without the vaccine.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
And a link to the Covid-19 return to normal projection that Fivethirtyeight's Nate Silver recommends above:

Path to Herd Immunity - COVID-19 Vaccine Projections

Some bullet points:

• Deaths may drop to low levels even earlier (May-Jul 2021), in part due to a vaccine distribution strategy that initially prioritizes high-risk individuals. Once deaths fall to minimal levels, we may see a relaxation of restrictions.
  • Summarizing the above findings, our best estimate of a “return to normal” in the US is mid-summer 2021 (June/July 2021).

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I have been offered the Pfizer vaccine from work. Sent for the information and booking details.

Me too. Our panel of lawyers, because many of our clients are homeless, jail population, just got offered vaccines for next week. Will be registering shortly. Thrilled

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Another lingering affect of my Covid infection is my eyes. I went for an eye test yesterday and the blood vessels in my eyes are "torturous" due to my recent high blood pressure. Normal blood vessels follow a curved linage, mine were all over the bloody place and some even had an interruption of blood flow :(

I am having to go back on Wednesday for a dilation test so she can see the entire eye and assess further.

f*** Covid

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Another lingering affect of my Covid infection is my eyes. I went for an eye test yesterday and the blood vessels in my eyes are "torturous" due to my recent high blood pressure. Normal blood vessels follow a curved linage, mine were all over the bloody place and some even had an interruption of blood flow :(

I am having to go back on Wednesday for a dilation test so she can see the entire eye and assess further.

f*** Covid

So sorry to hear that. This disease is nasty. And one part of that is long term adverse effects that a large percentage have to deal with.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So sorry to hear that. This disease is nasty. And one part of that is long term adverse effects that a large percentage have to deal with.

I really want to call bullshit on this but am willing to wait quite a long time to see scientific studies. I mean sadly the research is going to take YEARS to fully understand. The scare-tactic style writing in some of these articles is really brutal.

I mean what do you ask people?
- Do you ever feel tired? f*** yes I feel tired. Every day! :laugh:
- Do you have trouble breathing when walking up stairs? Oh give me a break... :laugh:
- Do you sometimes have a dry cough? "YES!"

Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit, but I see this in fitness studies all the time. When we finally break down and look into the study, the data set, etc... you would be shocked at how much bullshit is in research. That being said - I would remain completely neutral on this topic until years go by and we get multiple different studies. From the people I know that had it, absolutely none of them have any symptoms. What I would expect is at least a few of them to say "I still can't get to that high level in fitness." Even some of the elderly people who aren't active that got it and survived aren't experiencing anything out of the norm.

Like I said this will definitely be an interesting thing to watch as years go on.

Reactions: BHD

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I really want to call bullshit on this but am willing to wait quite a long time to see scientific studies. I mean sadly the research is going to take YEARS to fully understand. The scare-tactic style writing in some of these articles is really brutal.

I mean what do you ask people?
- Do you ever feel tired? f*** yes I feel tired. Every day! :laugh:
- Do you have trouble breathing when walking up stairs? Oh give me a break... :laugh:
- Do you sometimes have a dry cough? "YES!"

Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit, but I see this in fitness studies all the time. When we finally break down and look into the study, the data set, etc... you would be shocked at how much bullshit is in research. That being said - I would remain completely neutral on this topic until years go by and we get multiple different studies. From the people I know that had it, absolutely none of them have any symptoms. What I would expect is at least a few of them to say "I still can't get to that high level in fitness." Even some of the elderly people who aren't active that got it and survived aren't experiencing anything out of the norm.

Like I said this will definitely be an interesting thing to watch as years go on.

Covid is particularly nasty because so many who survive it have lasting and permanent disabilities. Because of the organs that it attacks. Not simply a headache but like Claire is dealing with.

From the Mayo Clinic:

COVID-19 (coronavirus): Long-term effects.

Organ damage caused by COVID-19

Although COVID-19 is seen as a disease that primarily affects the lungs, it can damage many other organs as well. This organ damage may increase the risk of long-term health problems. Organs that may be affected by COVID-19 include:
  • Heart. Imaging tests taken months after recovery from COVID-19 have shown lasting damage to the heart muscle, even in people who experienced only mild COVID-19 symptoms. This may increase the risk of heart failure or other heart complications in the future.
  • Lungs. The type of pneumonia often associated with COVID-19 can cause long-standing damage to the tiny air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. The resulting scar tissue can lead to long-term breathing problems.
  • Brain. Even in young people, COVID-19 can cause strokes, seizures and Guillain-Barre syndrome — a condition that causes temporary paralysis. COVID-19 may also increase the risk of developing Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.
Blood clots and blood vessel problems

COVID-19 can make blood cells more likely to clump up and form clots. While large clots can cause heart attacks and strokes, much of the heart damage caused by COVID-19 is believed to stem from very small clots that block tiny blood vessels (capillaries) in the heart muscle.
Other parts of the body affected by blood clots include the lungs, legs, liver and kidneys. COVID-19 can also weaken blood vessels and cause them to leak, which contributes to potentially long-lasting problems with the liver and kidneys.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I am worried about lungs. That's the part I'm REALLY watching. Weak lungs can lead to so much. I am really watching that part closely to those who had it. And I think finding a way to helps train and rebuild some capacities for people could be a nice thing. I want to see how the body reacts to things like swimming or HIIT.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Another day where no cases are recorded in Moncton. The three cases for New Brunswick are all in Edmundston, which is waaaay better than the amount of cases they were getting (~20 per day).

Overall, there are 87 active cases in the province, with all areas in the orange phase of recovery.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Once again it’s too bad we don’t have this kind of data on flus, colds and “regular” pneumonia to compare and contrast too.

Clearly COVID is worse but we cannot quantify how much worse.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
For the first time in 3 days I have had an episode of shortness of breath :(

For me, at my stage of recovery, it is short bursts of movement that brings on the breathlessness especially if I walk up the stairs. My chest now also feels a little tight.

FML

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Covid is particularly nasty because so many who survive it have lasting and permanent disabilities. Because of the organs that it attacks. Not simply a headache but like Claire is dealing with.
from a very small sample size from what i've seen is that those that have "demanded" [not all dr.s seem to want to use it] treatment with the drug "i can't name" plus zinc have done much better than those that have no treatment at all. would love to see a legit study.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
from a very small sample size from what i've seen is that those that have "demanded" [not all dr.s seem to want to use it] treatment with the drug "i can't name" plus zinc have done much better than those that have no treatment at all. would love to see a legit study.

The Mayo Clinic is a pretty legitimate source.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
So..New York teams are getting fans soon.

When will PA follow?

It's insane there can't be any now.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
This is what India uses along with ivermectin packs they hand out to everyone for like $7. Their cases went from 100k a day to under 10k a day.

Reactions: The Old Master
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad