COVID-19: The final countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Weeks away from the most vulnerable getting a shot at a vaccine! Now lets sprint to the finish line.

Same warnings as every other threads. We know the drill. Some overlap with political aspects happen but lets please try to stay in the lane of discussing in relation to COVID. This is not a left/right thread. We may have fundamental differences on how things should work but that's the best part of America - we have the amazing right to vote for who we want to represent us. The admin have been amazing in letting us have these open conversations knowing they would at times get hot. So let's bring it home!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Pennsylvania Covid-19 information page:

Vaccine

The order of who gets vaccinated and when is of interest as roll out may start Monday:

Phase 1: There may be limited supply of COVID-19 vaccine doses available in the first phase. Initial efforts will focus on reaching the following populations:
  • Healthcare personnel;
  • Emergency Medical Services first responders; and
  • Residents and staff of congregate care settings.
Phase 2: We anticipate a large number of vaccine doses available. Efforts will focus on ensuring access to vaccine for:
  • Phase 1 critical populations who were not yet vaccinated; and General population.

• Phase 3: In this phase, there should be a sufficient supply of vaccine doses for entire population. Efforts will focus on ensuring the entire population will have access to the vaccine.

Reactions: ColePens

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Gen. Gustave Perna said 145 distribution sites will receive the vaccine on Monday, 425 sites on Tuesday, and 66 sites on Wednesday. The 636 locations are the only places states identified that currently have the capability to store the vaccine at the necessary ultra-cold temperatures.

Perna said he thinks that as early as three weeks from now, Operation Warp Speed will be able to distribute vaccines directly to local pharmacies, which have capability for ultra cold storage.

Reactions: ColePens

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Tested positive today, exposed on Monday just trying to make a living. Symptoms started last night.

Stay the f*** home and wear a mask. All I have to say.

I was just sent home today to (paid thank goodness) quarantine because I was exposed to an individual who tested positive. Mostly as a precaution but still. I was not in close contact with this person (though did work a whole shift with them) and have no developed any symptoms though of course it's early, yet.

I've been very serious about protecting myself and others this entire ordeal. But those around me have not. So here we are.

My thoughts are with you. This is all very new and rather scary to me.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think first responders, front line workers and elderly should get vaccinated first obviously, but after that, who gets it? Could it be good policy if, at least early on, people that have already had it recently (confirmed) do not get those first vaccinations? On the other hand there’s going to be a lot of dips that *think* they already had it because they had a really bad cold in February or whatever and they’ll think they don’t need it. Conservatively we could have 50 million that currently have or already got it, the majority of those unconfirmed, so there will be some overlap between them and people that get vaccinated, but probably easier to just vaccinate everyone than get antibody tests for everyone.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think first responders, front line workers and elderly should get vaccinated first obviously, but after that, who gets it? Could it be good policy if, at least early on, people that have already had it recently (confirmed) do not get those first vaccinations? On the other hand there’s going to be a lot of dips that *think* they already had it because they had a really bad cold in February or whatever and they’ll think they don’t need it. Conservatively we could have 50 million that currently have or already got it, the majority of those unconfirmed, so there will be some overlap between them and people that get vaccinated, but probably easier to just vaccinate everyone than get antibody tests for everyone.

After the first obvious group it is going to be a nightmare deciding who 'deserves' to be next. We are talking exponential growth of supply. The most logical thing is to go by some easily definable delineation. Age maybe.

Reactions: Jacob

Sideline

May 23, 2004
After the first obvious group it is going to be a nightmare deciding who 'deserves' to be next. We are talking exponential growth of supply. The most logical thing is to go by some easily definable delineation. Age maybe.

Yeah, in theory it's easy. Just maximize quality adjusted life years saved. The hard part is getting all the necessary information to do that calculus. The best you can realistically hope to implement rapidly is some basic screening rules for age or a laundry list of preexisting conditions.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah, in theory it's easy. Just maximize quality adjusted life years saved. The hard part is getting all the necessary information to do that calculus. The best you can realistically hope to implement rapidly is some basic screening rules for age or a laundry list of preexisting conditions.

I just don't see how it can be done without becoming a complete mess.

First easily defined groups. Front line medical people, nursing homes. Then professions that are essential and at risk. Teachers, Prison Guards, etc. Maybe even we attorneys.

Then simply age based.

It is the only way that it will not become a complete crap show.

The good news is what I said above. Every day the supply of vaccine will increase exponentially. Each vaccine approval will add tens of millions, then hundreds of millions, of doses to the supply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sideline

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
Stay safe, folks. Hopefully you are young and healthy and its just one of those nothing cases.

So far its just been like a nasty cold. Chills, fever, cold sweats, fatigue, cough.

I'm more worried about my wife and kids than myself. They can't exactly escape from it.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I just don't see how it can be done without becoming a complete mess.

First easily defined groups. Front line medical people, nursing homes. Then professions that are essential and at risk. Teachers, Prison Guards, etc. Maybe even we attorneys.

Then simply age based.

It is the only way that it will not become a complete crap show.

The good news is what I said above. Every day the supply of vaccine will increase exponentially. Each vaccine approval will add tens of millions, then hundreds of millions, of doses to the supply.
I think that last part is key. The people who need it first is obvious, health care workers, elderly, immunocompromised and other high risk people. Honestly the military is probably right up there too as they should be.

After that it gets murky, but hopefully production takes off more and more and it becomes less and less of an issue "who is next".

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
I think that last part is key. The people who need it first is obvious, health care workers, elderly, immunocompromised and other high risk people. Honestly the military is probably right up there too as they should be.

After that it gets murky, but hopefully production takes off more and more and it becomes less and less of an issue "who is next".

Its not been made mandatory for military yet. But I believe multiple Army and Air Force bases will have access to vaccination next week. I for one wonder if it will be added to the immunization line at basic training. Once at basic training you go through the immunization line which is about about 6 inoculations in less than 25 mins, they have a list of what they are on GoArmy.com. From what i've heard, since the pandemic and quarantining began, the first 2 weeks of basic (in all branches) consists of classroom learning and social distancing and how to's on staying clean and sanitized during the pandemic and of course to make sure no trainees/recruits are infected.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Its not been made mandatory for military yet. But I believe multiple Army and Air Force bases will have access to vaccination next week. I for one wonder if it will be added to the immunization line at basic training. Once at basic training you go through the immunization line which is about about 6 inoculations in less than 25 mins, they have a list of what they are on GoArmy.com. From what i've heard, since the pandemic and quarantining began, the first 2 weeks of basic (in all branches) consists of classroom learning and social distancing and how to's on staying clean and sanitized during the pandemic and of course to make sure no trainees/recruits are infected.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's included in there. Now that it's actually approved, I'd imagine the military will get access to it quickly.

And good luck with all those at once. I was jabbed with 4-5 in one day before going oversees once, and man I felt like shit the next two days. A fever and some aches are expected from most vaccines, means it's working. But getting 4-5 "it's working" all at once sucked.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's included in there. Now that it's actually approved, I'd imagine the military will get access to it quickly.

And good luck with all those at once. I was jabbed with 4-5 in one day before going oversees once, and man I felt like shit the next two days. A fever and some aches are expected from most vaccines, means it's working. But getting 4-5 "it's working" all at once sucked.

My girlfriend once had blood taken and the nurse was new and missed three times bruising her badly. She finally told the girl to give her the needle, she would take blood from herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->