COVID-19 Part V (not an election discussion topic)

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I got my first Moderna on Wednesday. I had. Severe exhaustion yesterday to the point when I slept 20 of the 24 hours. Feel better today but still a bit tired.

Ya, it was similar for my first one. I hit a wall about 12 hours after the shot and just suddenly felt wiped out.

This second one didn't have as much fatigue but had the other things I mentioned.

Reactions: BK

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
LOL, my parents just became eligible to get their first shot (no idea if they are getting it or not), yet people my age in the states have got 2 shots.

Ya, it's not great that there are so many areas around the world severely lagging the U.S. in distribution. Going into this, I would've guessed Canada would be outpacing the U.S., but it seems to be the other way around.

Reactions: Hawkaholic

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Would love to, but when we come back to Canada, we have to quarantine for 14days, regardless if we test negative, or have the vaccine. Im not doing that unless I have to (aka get the vid). I'll just have to wait.

Im pretty sure you still have to be a US citizen I was just giving an example of where my state is at.

And yeah I have to go back to Hamilton in May so I have to do that quarantine again. Although it might be up in the air with the spikes in cases recently. When I left a couple weeks ago Ontario went into grey. Any changes since then?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Im pretty sure you still have to be a US citizen I was just giving an example of where my state is at.

And yeah I have to go back to Hamilton in May so I have to do that quarantine again. Although it might be up in the air with the spikes in cases recently. When I left a couple weeks ago Ontario went into grey. Any changes since then?
Yeah, we are in complete lockdown with a stay at home order right now. Hardware stores, Salons, ("non essential" stores) closed, Walmarts, Costcos are open, but they have all the toys, clothes, accessories, etc taped off. So you can literally only go out to buy groceries. You can do curbside pickup from hardware stores.

Kids are still in school though.

Reactions: Styles

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah, Im really not sure how that is working myself, I have just heard that some snow birds are getting their vaccines, but maybe they have dual citizenship.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Got my J&J today in Rockford. Worth the hour drive to have it done with.

Reactions: Sarava

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Not only is Ontario in lockdown but cases are up (4,227 cases reported today). Younger folks are getting sicker than they were in the first wave and ICU's are filling fast - yet there are still some yahoo's protesting the social distancing rules.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Ya, it's not great that there are so many areas around the world severely lagging the U.S. in distribution. Going into this, I would've guessed Canada would be outpacing the U.S., but it seems to be the other way around.
Does Canada have any companies that developed a covid vaccine? Obviously companies that develop these vaccines have to take care of their own country first - whether they like it or not. Especially in America's case (for J&J, Moderna and Pfizer) where we lead the world in Covid deaths.

I would suspect that once America is fully vaccinated (besides the people that wont get it of course), that Canada will be flooded with vaccines. That probably isn't that far off.

And my wife and I are getting my 2nd Pfizer shot at the United Center tomorrow. I'll be glad to have that comfort. Especially for my wife, since I'm probably a bit protected from having had Covid back in November.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Not only is Ontario in lockdown but cases are up (4,227 cases reported today). Younger folks are getting sicker than they were in the first wave and ICU's are filling fast - yet there are still some yahoo's protesting the social distancing rules.

For comparison's sake - that's barely more cases than Illinois has for cases every day. Last I saw we are in the high 3000's every day lately.

But yeah, it sounds like this UK variant is hitting younger people harder than the original strains were.

Best of luck to you guys up there. I hope you get your vaccines soon.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
For comparison's sake - that's barely more cases than Illinois has for cases every day. Last I saw we are in the high 3000's every day lately.

But yeah, it sounds like this UK variant is hitting younger people harder than the original strains were.

Best of luck to you guys up there. I hope you get your vaccines soon.

7 day average is around 3000 in Illinois. That's 40+% more cases in Ontario.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Just found today's total for Illinois was 4,004. So yeah, we've unfortunately blown past the 3k area.

Our daily deaths are staying in the 20s, which sucks obviously, but compared to other times in the pandemic, is kind of low. I suspect what's happening here is, the UK variant is running wild. It's way more contagious than the older strains. But it's also running in to a lot of vaccinated people, and thankfully, most of our most vulnerable people are vaccinated. Who knows...that 4k a day might of been 10-15k a day (like we had back in November/December) if it weren't for all the vaccines. Thank you scientists who developed these!

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I am getting my 1st dose ofvtge Pfizer shot this Thursday here in Ottawa Ontario.

Vaccine distribution has been very chaotic and slow because of delays in vaccine deliveries...

They at first only gave shots to front line medical workers and those in care homes ...Then gave them to those over 80 and to indigenous people at higher risk...Then beginning in April tgey let 70 year old book vaccination appointments.. but alk tge bookings were gone in just a few hours. SO this who could not get bokki gs had to wait till more deliveries came in the following week..So tgen tgeycre-ooenrdctgexwobdow for the rest ofctge 70+ who had not yet got a booking.. WgenI finally got my appointment for April 15th ...weell you can see we are wY behind what Shoukd have been if only Canada had a manufacturing plant here instead of having to wIt for supplies from Pfizer and Moderna from Europe.

Meanwhile we also saw an allocation of otger vaccines (not Pfizer or Moderna being given to younger than 70 year olds bit only in certain Hotspot regions...lije in certain parts of Toronto /GTA region...tge rest of the Province of Ontario was not allowed to get these which were being distributed bua pharmacies or pop up vaccibe sites.

Many of these ad hoc last minute supply decisions were decided on tge basis of Hotspot needs but soon proved discronatory as otger areas became Hotspot.

It has been slow...chaotic...and both overly in stucture(seniors by age group releases having g to book via tge Ontario Provincial portal...but in other hotspiutccases for tfe 1 shot only vaccibes a more hurried less structured waiting appointment system.

To me this has nit been done well at all.

Also..fir the 2 dose shot vaccines,tge Ontario Gocernment decided to change tge preferred protocol set out by Pfizer and oderb...

For instance...Pfizer saud tge 2bd dose shoukd come 21 days Fter tge first shot and no more tgan 42 days after tge first shot...They expected less benefit from the 2nd shot the longer one extended the interval...

But to get more vaccibes into arms more quickly tge Ontario vovernment decided to extend the interval to nearly 4 months...3 months plus 3 weeks Fter tfe 1st dose.

So since I get my first dose shot April 15th,my booking for my 2bd shot is not till August 5th.

Thus I will Not be gettibg 95% protection tonight as claimed by Pfizer ....Because of this longer than optimal interval between shots.

How much will this reduce effectiveness?80%...70% 55%...I do not know..but to me this certainly is not optimal...

I understand to to get S my even 50-70% protected...for now with tge fist shot is most important given the hospital /ICU crisis of this 3rd wVe caused by the variants...where younger people are now gstgibg sick...
Still...for my own peace of mind,I am not happy that tgeyvhave reduced my protection maxi I'm level from the vaccines because of extending the tome between shots from tge best protocol as designed.

None...O repeat None of this 3rd wVe crisis or concerns about interval periods would be issues IF only our Public Health officials caused otger weapons to prevent and to treat Covid...Tgese otger weapons lije boosting the body's own immune systems with VitamknD supplementation and using Safe re-purpised medications lije Ivermectin (an anti-oprasote medication which has been shown to bind to tge spike protein on the SarsCov 2 virus tgat prevents it from attacking to cell receptors..thus it cannot get into tge cells to cause Covud sickness...but even if sone already got into tge cells before Ivernectin used,it Also has been shown to have benefits to prevent certain processes required by the virus in the cells to cause damage and ibfkamnation effects.

So why have these weapons nit been employed en mass?

Obviously they tried to sell vaccibes as tge ONLY weapon vs thus virus transmission...And tgeir theory has been cut off transmission and it ends tgecdisease ...ratger than whije we wait for vaccibe supply and getting onto arms,let us use other known weapons that are safe and work to at least reduce the amount of people gdtgibg sick and gkibg to hoslitL and IC u and tge %of tgse tgat die

Iftgese otger weapons hhad been used maybe you woukd not get 95% protection.. but if it cuts tgexresukting severity down ...redicesxrecoveryvtonevin hospitals...are tgese not benefits youvshoukd want whike waiting for vaccine distribution into arnsxto fetcto a herdvimunity level and end thevoandemkc?

Sure..you shoukd have used tgesevotger emweapons..butcthey did not..andctgexrssuktvusxa crisis in hospitals now with thjs 3rd wave as tge birds has proceeds faster that shotscinto arms coukd prevent.

And on top of this...thT 96% promise forctgex2 shots is honing to be not as greT as that..due to dekYibgvtgdvibterval period.

I think here in Ontario a d inCanDa as a whoke..it has been a mess and tgexwro g strategies used or weapons not deployed earlier or even now that coukd help.

It is one big mess.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I fail to understand why fully vaccinated folks can't attend games. Even if it's partial capacity, it makes no sense to me to keep arenas empty. I wonder if there is some kind of explanation available for this reasoning?

How do you logistically stop people that aren’t vaccinated from entering? The cards they provide to track your vaccinations aren’t exactly difficult to forge.

I have no issue with them being overly cautious when it comes to this. In the grand scheme of things this isn’t exactly a ton of money the Wirtz family is losing out on.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
How do you logistically stop people that aren’t vaccinated from entering? The cards they provide to track your vaccinations aren’t exactly difficult to forge.

I have no issue with them being overly cautious when it comes to this. In the grand scheme of things this isn’t exactly a ton of money the Wirtz family is losing out on.

Right. They make billions off their liquor business. The Hawks are a rich man's toy for Rocky to play with, and nothing more.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Good point. I agree that forging could present a problem. One solution is to add the vaccine certification to one's passport. Unfortunately, that would take time to implement.

Sad that government has to protect people from their own stupidity.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Good point. I agree that forging could present a problem. One solution is to add the vaccine certification to one's passport. Unfortunately, that would take time to implement.

According to a quick google search only 42% of Americans even have passports, so try again.

And like you said... that would take a lot of time to implement and even just getting a non-expedited passport takes months I think. Not to mention how long do these vaccines even last before your passport is not longer accurate to if you’re vaccinated?

It would never work.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
According to a quick google search only 42% of Americans even have passports, so try again.

And like you said... that would take a lot of time to implement and even just getting a non-expedited passport takes months I think. Not to mention how long do these vaccines even last before your passport is not longer accurate to if you’re vaccinated?

It would never work.
By using that logic, sports arenas will remain closed for the foreseeable future.
If rock-solid documentation is not possible, it looks like "herd immunity" will need to be reached before sports arenas can open back up to fans.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
By using that logic, sports arenas will remain closed for the foreseeable future.
If rock-solid documentation is not possible, it looks like "herd immunity" will need to be reached before sports arenas can open back up to fans.

As they should given it's not worth people dying to go see sports games.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad