COVID-19 Part V (not an election discussion topic)

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Sure, so they must have purchased the ones that haven't received approval or moved to the market, because we have barely had any vaccines compared to the US. I'm sure that will change once over the next couple of months, but it's ugly right now.

Total COVID-19 vaccine confirmed distribution as of March 10, 2021, at 6:00pm
Vaccine distributionCOVISHIELD Verity/Serum Institute of IndiaPfizer/BioNTechModernaTotal
Total distributed in Canada499,5002,696,064685,5003,881,064
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Got it.

Is it a distribution problem, or is it that they bought unapproved vaccines? I thought this was an egregious distribution problem, but you make a good point that they may just have purchased vaccines that aren’t approved yet.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Got it.

Is it a distribution problem, or is it that they bought unapproved vaccines? I thought this was an egregious distribution problem, but you make a good point that they may just have purchased vaccines that aren’t approved yet.
I'm honestly not 100% sure what the root issue is, but what I do know is up until recently, we have had major shortages compared to most top countries. I think it's going to start picking up over the next month or two, but what, more than half of the US is vaccinated already? 3mil Canadians out of ~35mil have been vaccinated here (8-9%).

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I'm honestly not 100% sure what the root issue is, but what I do know is up until recently, we have had major shortages compared to most top countries. I think it's going to start picking up over the next month or two, but what, more than half of the US is vaccinated already? 3mil Canadians out of ~35mil have been vaccinated here (8-9%).

According to the data Google has, about 34 million in the U.S. have been fully vaccinated (~10%), and nearly 100 million doses have been given so far.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
According to the data Google has, about 34 million in the U.S. have been fully vaccinated (~10%), and nearly 100 million doses have been given so far.
I guess not quite as high as I thought. The Canadian numbers I showed you (8-9%) was just shots administered. Canada has only fully vaccinated 587k people (1.5%), while another 2.1mil (5.6%) have received a single dose.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
100mil of 328mil would be 30% with at least one shot.

If 34 million are fully vaccinated, that would be about 68 million doses (assuming none got J&J). So I'm guessing that roughly 30 million people have had one dose so far.

These may be the ballpark numbers, but the one-shot J&J vaccine really throws a wrench in figuring it out accurately.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If 34 million are fully vaccinated, that would be about 68 million doses (assuming none got J&J). So I'm guessing that roughly 30 million people have had one dose so far.

These may be the ballpark numbers, but the one-shot J&J vaccine really throws a wrench in figuring it out accurately.
Didn't you just say they have given out 100mil doses?
and so does this article:

More Than 334 Million Shots Given: Covid-19 Tracker
"In the U.S., more Americans have received at least one dose than have tested positive for the virus since the pandemic began. So far, 98.2 million doses have been given. In the last week, an average of 2.23 million doses per day were administered."

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to get what you mean.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
100mil of 328mil would be 30% with at least one shot.

Using round numbers... The 10% fully vaccinated are getting 2 doses (with the exception of J & J, which just started). So 10% fully vaccinated would be 64 mil doses (32.8 mil * 2 shots), leaving 36 mil who've received 1 shot, but not two.

Bloomberg is what I've always used to track shows 30 doses per 100, 19.3% with at least 1 shot, 10.3% fully vaccinated.

Your math isn't taking account that fully vaccinated takes up 2 shots.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Using round numbers... The 10% fully vaccinated are getting 2 doses (with the exception of J & J, which just started). So 10% fully vaccinated would be 64 mil doses (32.8 mil * 2 shots), leaving 36 mil who've received 1 shot, but not two.

Bloomberg is what I've always used to track shows 30 doses per 100, 19.3% with at least 1 shot, 10.3% fully vaccinated.

I see what you mean now. Makes sense.

Still far better than Canada, which is all I was saying from the beginning. Just not as high as I thought it was in the US.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Until we realize how many millions of people are refusing to get the vaccination... I want to punch those people in the face.

Yeah that’s tough. It’s dog eat dog out there right now with people trying to get their shots so if there are idiots who don’t want it then more for the people in my life.

but then again that makes herd immunity that much harder to acheieve

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yeah that’s tough. It’s dog eat dog out there right now with people trying to get their shots so if there are idiots who don’t want it then more for the people in my life.

but then again that makes herd immunity that much harder to acheieve

Not to mention it increases the likelihood of more mutations. The bigger concern for me though is how many countries haven't secured or given a single dose. That's going to be a big problem as global travel starts opening back up (whether that means policies changing or people just being willing to do it.)

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Not to mention it increases the likelihood of more mutations. The bigger concern for me though is how many countries haven't secured or given a single dose. That's going to be a big problem as global travel starts opening back up (whether that means policies changing or people just being willing to do it.)

Exactly. Most health experts are downplaying the mutations but it seems obvious that the longer it takes to get to "herd immunity" the greater the chance that the current vaccines will no longer be effective as the Covid changes. Folks refusing to be vaccinated exacerbates the situation and refusing the vaccination for political reasons is dumbfounding but not surprising.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Got it.

It's a manufacturing problem. We don't currently produce any of the vaccines and are reliant on manufacturers to ship. The two countries that produce vaccines, the US and UK are ahead compared to Canada and Europe.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Exactly. Most health experts are downplaying the mutations but it seems obvious that the longer it takes to get to "herd immunity" the greater the chance that the current vaccines will no longer be effective as the Covid changes. Folks refusing to be vaccinated exacerbates the situation and refusing the vaccination for political reasons is dumbfounding but not surprising.
Eventually it will turn into natural selection. Let these dumb f***s refuse the vaccine and when they die from COVID? Lol... Bye?

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
Yesterday I got tested for COVID-19 as I had been around people who had contracted the virus. Today I got the results and unfortunately I'm COVID-19 positive. f*** me as all my plans just went down the toilet.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yesterday I got tested for COVID-19 as I had been around people who had contracted the virus. Today I got the results and unfortunately I'm COVID-19 positive. f*** me as all my plans just went down the toilet.

That sucks, man. Did you catch it even while wearing a mask and staying at least six feet apart?

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
Ya, that definitely sucks. I'm sorry, man. I hope you make it through it okay.
I think I will be okay, at least I hope so. My biggest worry now is not to have transmitted the virus to someone who develops symptoms and ends up in the hospital. I know that it might sound strange as sometimes I act like a dick on these boards, but there's still a noble side to my personality. In other words, I care about other people and the society as a whole.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad