OT: Covid-19 (Part 29) Sick Again...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
With all this debate about selfishness, let’s just say, if there is a more deadly outbreak in a few years, we’re all f***ed.

there is a significant portion of the population that don’t care and another that think anything that inconveniences them is some grand conspiracy.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
My wife’s test came back positive today. She has mild symptoms, just coughing a bit with headache.

I went to test today but pretty sure it’s also positive. I have the same symptoms as my wife, even lighter.
Glad both you and your wife are getting through it easily!

Any idea who you got it from? And where?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Until there's a vaccine, the key will be to test the hell out of school kids and as many people as possible. Throw resources into faster, better testing and we can stay ahead of this without shutting things down. Some kids will get sick, but as long as we can identify the positives asap, we can keep it from spreading too fast and too far. We have to remember there is an acceptable level of sickness and that shutting down isn't always the answer.

Reactions: llamateizer

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
You mentioned this before and I posted an article where they are now walking that back. They were asymptomatic when they got tested, but they went on to develop symptoms later.

Yes, some were presymptomatic in the prison studies. But why aren't the death rates in prison much higher since they are all packed in there together? My theory is again, younger people with strong immune systems generally have mild symptoms.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
Not social distancing nor masks, but not trying to get my face close to theirs either. Normal behavior, in the kitchen, talking, passing by one another, sometimes a hug.
When my parents would see the grandchildren, they can't not hug or kiss the kids, it's a risk they'll take.

I had read the 95% in jail asymptomatic, which is quite odd. That stat seems very fishy and unreliable.

From the CDC, it varies from 10-70%, their best estimate as of now is 40%.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Well, the only other options, if they weren't asymptomatic, is that all of the indoor party-goers magically didn't catch this incredibly contagious virus OR it's not nearly as contagious as we're being told.

Until I see data showing how it's not extremely contagious, I'm going to have to go with them catching it, and their youthful, healthy immune systems beat the crap out it before having the chance to spread it to older folks.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
No. Point is maybe not all gatherings should be judged equally. Is there 200 random people dancing salsa in a park? Like when that happened and cases popped up from it. Or is it the same group of 6 friends who are mostly seeing each other not being in each other's faces and keeping some distance?...There's a big difference between the two.
That's just it -- infection seems to be driven by WHO you're with, not WHERE you are. Closing businesses didn't stop cases from rising, and opening them didn't start cases rising. There's been no correlation between infection rates and the closing and opening of stores, restaurants, etc. The virus doesn't care where you are; it only cares who you're sitting next to.

Thousands of school kids have been sitting next to each other for a month and... well... seems pretty clear.

Last edited:

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
My wife’s test came back positive today. She has mild symptoms, just coughing a bit with headache.

I went to test today but pretty sure it’s also positive. I have the same symptoms as my wife, even lighter.

Please report back after testing. =)

What do you mean by "even lighter" than coughing a bit, and a headache? Just a cough? Just a light headache?

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
11...enjoy while you can and be safe.

Closed in red zones
11 in orange zones
midnight in yellow zones

Spotlight was on the red zones yesterday but they also switched all of Quebec into either yellow or orange. There are no green zones in the province right now

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Glad both you and your wife are getting through it easily!

Any idea who you got it from? And where?

My brother in law is a social worker and he goes to people's houses. His brother initially got it from him (they live in the same house), and he spent the day in our house last Wednesday(he came to work remotely from our place because it was more quiet). The same day his brother (the social worker) started feeling symptoms, he went to test, next day came back positive. The whole family went to test on Thursday, all of them came back negative, but on Friday his brother started feeling symptoms and went back to test again and result came back positive. My wife started feeling symptoms on Saturday night, and went back to test again on Sunday. We got the positive result yesterday morning.

The kids have no symptoms at all, we had to remove them from schools though, we tested them yesterday and waiting for results. Per Sante Publique, if they test positive it's a 10 days confinement for the kids. If it's negative, it's a 24 days confinement!! They basically assume that my wife could give it to them up to 10 days following her positive result, so if they get it on the 10th days, they have to follow with 2 weeks confinement. This part sucks ass.

Reactions: MXD and Lshap

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Please report back after testing. =)

What do you mean by "even lighter" than coughing a bit, and a headache? Just a cough? Just a light headache?

I have very light cough and slight headache.

My wife's symptoms are getting a bit more severe, her headache is getting worse and energy level going down. My wife breastfeeds my 3 months baby, but she's been told that no risk for the baby, she can continue breastfeeding while putting a mask on.

I had a coworker who had it, he also told me the symptoms change from day to day.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

My wife's symptoms are getting a bit more severe, her headache is getting worse and energy level going down. My wife breastfeeds my 3 months baby, but she's been told that no risk for the baby, she can continue breastfeeding while putting a mask on.

I had a coworker who had it, he also told me the symptoms change from day to day.

Hang in there! Hope you and your wife feel better soon.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014

Thanks, and get well soon!

Reactions: Luigi Habs

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
With all this debate about selfishness, let’s just say, if there is a more deadly outbreak in a few years, we’re all f***ed.

there is a significant portion of the population that don’t care and another that think anything that inconveniences them is some grand conspiracy.

A more deadly outbreak would end up like SRAS in 2003. It would kill its hosts before they can spread it.
Coronavirus is both mild and severe enough to spread AND kill some more vulnerable people. It's the worst possible combination for a pandemic.

Reactions: Milhouse40

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Yes, some were presymptomatic in the prison studies. But why aren't the death rates in prison much higher since they are all packed in there together? My theory is again, younger people with strong immune systems generally have mild symptoms.
Anyone with a strong immune system will have a more mild illness in most cases. That’s the case for any virus, influenza, etc., though.

I think lockdowns were necessary at the start because it was largely unknown, but public health officials have done more to strike fear in the population rather than give people insight and advice on how to improve their own immune system to cause a better outcome if they did contract it. Yes, keep distance, wear a mask, wash your hands, but also eat well, get your nutrients, get a good sleep and exercise.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
My biggest interrogation about the current ''How to contain COVID'' model is how can we be sure that this won't create an endless cycle of quanrantine-unquarantine periods until a successful vaccine is available (and that's if there is one). Let's say the current semi lockdown is successful in flattening the curve , what happens next if cases start to spike again in let's say december or january ? We go into another semi lockdown again to flatten the curve and do it all over again ?

We cannot do this forever can we ?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
My biggest interrogation about the current ''How to contain COVID'' model is how can we be sure that this won't create an endless cycle of quanrantine-unquarantine periods until a successful vaccine is available (and that's if there is one). Let's say the current semi lockdown is successful in flattening the curve , what happens next if cases start to spike again in let's say december or january ? We go into another semi lockdown again to flatten the curve and do it all over again ?

There are over 10 vaccines that are ongoing stage 3 trials, so they proved they were both efficient and safe to a certain extent on limited groups of people. None of these vaccines have been put on hold so far, except for one for which research was held a couple of days, because of an unknown condition that arose in a patient, condition that was finally deemed unrelated to the vaccine itself. So I would say the outlook is great for a vaccine to be approved in the next 12 months.

That being said, you're totally right. There has to be a stable and realistic long-term solution. You can't play yo-yo with bars, restaurants and people. At some point people will just stop following the rules altogether.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well, the only other options, if they weren't asymptomatic, is that all of the indoor party-goers magically didn't catch this incredibly contagious virus OR it's not nearly as contagious as we're being told.

Until I see data showing how it's not extremely contagious, I'm going to have to go with them catching it, and their youthful, healthy immune systems beat the crap out it before having the chance to spread it to older folks.
You're not going to catch this virus magically. You need to be in contact with someone that has it, and even then, that person needs to be close enough to you.
The other option you left out is they didnt actually have the virus.

If the virus was as prevalent in an asymptomatic way, the spread would have kept growing. If so many had it without symptoms, well then when we'd see our parents, they would for sure get it, at least a few of them.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
That's just it -- infection seems to be driven by WHO you're with, not WHERE you are. Closing businesses didn't stop cases from rising, and opening them didn't start cases rising. There's been no correlation between infection rates and the closing and opening of stores, restaurants, etc. The virus doesn't care where you are; it only cares who you're sitting next to.

Thousands of school kids have been sitting next to each other for a month and... well... seems pretty clear.
Ya, seems pretty obvious.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I had movers come over, since I'm moving out of the house and into a new one on October 1. One of the movers had her mask down and coughed. I wasn't right beside her, but is it bad if she was still close enough?

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014

Things is that in our area, they're not the one getting infected. Just about all of them are in the 18 to 34 bracket. Now campus are opened and those youngsters full of hormones have needs, I don't think they're following the recommendation of Dr Tam to wear a mask. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I had movers come over, since I'm moving out of the house and into a new one on October 1. One of the movers had her mask down and coughed. I wasn't right beside her, but is it bad if she was still close enough?
How effing stupid is that!? Reason to be pissed.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

This is actually the plan.

Impose measures to keep spikes as low as possible, relax them as things get better while maintaining certain mitigation efforts in place and adjusting to incorporateanything new we learn along the way.

The 'quarantines' we do are meant to be both a hard stop to uncontrolled spread, as well as a reset of sorts, to allow the wave to die down and get to a level that is more manageable.

As it stands, with levels the way they are, proper contact tracing is impossible. That's the biggest issue. Contact tracing programs are the only way to control the pandemic without a vaccine. But with 1000 cases/day they cannot possibly do that effectively and they admit as much.

Most projections have been expecting waves that rise and fall during the course of the pandemic, for about 2 and a half years or so.
5eb1cafc42278d0cb46414e5

When the waves go too high to manage, we need to impose a temporary lockdown like we're doing now. It won't go back down without some kind of intervention. Ideally we can keep a "scenario 3" for as long as possible with good contact tracing and other measures. It's not going to just go away like magic.

A large reason why things went so well this summer is because contact tracing was able to keep things in check (among other factors). But now? Contact tracing is not possible and will never be possible with the level of new cases we're seeing. So we really don't have a choice.

The best way to avoid alternating cycles of quarantining and re-opening is simple: Everyone needs to be on board, everyone needs to take this seriously, everyone needs to do their part. Everyone. If there's even just one person with a head full of shit thinking they know better than public health officials then it's enough to derail it for many, many others.

We're all suffering, making sacrifices. When someone turns around and says this thing is not so bad, and acts accordingly, it undoes the work that everyone is doing.

It's selfish, and I personally will not forget.

Reactions: The Mandalorian

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
There are over 10 vaccines that are ongoing stage 3 trials, so they proved they were both efficient and safe to a certain extent on limited groups of people. None of these vaccines have been put on hold so far, except for one for which research was held a couple of days, because of an unknown condition that arose in a patient, condition that was finally deemed unrelated to the vaccine itself. So I would say the outlook is great for a vaccine to be approved in the next 12 months.

The Oxford vaccine was the one paused, and it is currently paused again in the US as a 2nd person got the same neurological issues.

Reactions: PhysicX

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I know. I gave her a look and simply walked away fast to ensure I didn't stay in that area just in case.
No win argument - as if you want her talking more to defend her behaviour. Plus, she’s handling your stuff. “Fragile”? Oops!

Best to turn and walk away like you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad