HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 11.04.46 AM.png

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

Interesting graph here. It illustrates some of the dangers we've been discussing here for days now around how this wave is different in that it is being driven by young people.

The increasing figures of "no known epi-link" we are seeing now is a direct result of young people getting infected and spreading it around in the community. That's nearly half of new cases!

Sure, they may have a lower chance of developing severe illness but that's not the point. They will spread it to people that are more likely to suffer, eventually.

In fact, the numbers are showing this in Ontario, as the number of cases under 40 is decreasing rapidly despite the fact that overall cases are increasing exponentially. If it's fewer cases under 40 but uncontrolled growth in cases overall... well, guess who's getting sick?

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Interesting graph here. It illustrates some of the dangers we've been discussing here for days now around how this wave is different in that it is being driven by young people.

The increasing figures of "no known epi-link" we are seeing now is a direct result of young people getting infected and spreading it around in the community. That's nearly half of new cases!

Sure, they may have a lower chance of developing severe illness but that's not the point. They will spread it to people that are more likely to suffer, eventually.

In fact, the numbers are showing this in Ontario, as the number of cases under 40 is decreasing rapidly despite the fact that overall cases are increasing exponentially. If it's fewer cases under 40 but uncontrolled growth in cases overall... well, guess who's getting sick?

Is there a breakdown of new cases by age group?

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
So some geniuses are planning a anti zone rouge and mask protest tomorrow night in Montréal...

It’s crazy...also another one planned for thanksgiving.

If some still doubt we need to invest more in education...I don’t know what to say.

I expect the gouvernement to give more power to the police. Sadly it could make thing uglier forma little one.

Everyone should put aside their personal view (both extreme) and simply apply those easy restrictions.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Is there a breakdown of new cases by age group?

COVID-19 case data: All Ontario

Has to be done manually, but they show total cumulative cases by age group here. You'd have to check each day and see the difference.

The main observation is that the %age of new cases among people under 40 was around 72%, and about 10 days later it's fallen to 60% and continues to fall. So, fewer people under 40 are the ones newly testing positive.

Reactions: Lshap

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The Oxford vaccine was the one paused, and it is currently paused again in the US as a 2nd person got the same neurological issues.

It’s been resumed, I’m not sure if it’s restarted in the US at the moment.

the fact that it’s resumed and Canada signed the deal with AZ AFTER the delay should inspire some confidence, and the fact that we heard about the delay should put confidence in that they’re not just rushing through.

A vaccine approval before 2021 and vaccination program before the summer of 2021 for the general population looks like real possibility with how many are in phase 3 and no major issues being detected thus far that caused them to stop completely.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

It's pretty obvious what he intended to say though. The data that will be made available can't be properly evaluated without any context. There is a context behind each and every outbreak. And without that data being put into context by epidemiologists and people on the front line, it's pretty useless as a whole and will only create confusion in the population, which will use that data to second-guess every single move they make, but without seeing the full picture.

Reactions: ProMath

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
It's pretty obvious what he intended to say though. The data that will be made available can't be properly evaluated without any context. There is a context behind each and every outbreak. And without that data being put into context by epidemiologists and people on the front line, it's pretty useless as a whole and will only create confusion in the population, which will use that data to second-guess every single move they make, but without seeing the full picture.
You don't say. And whose fault is it that we're not provided with any context?

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Honestly, I don't know a single person who didn't party, nobody caught covid.
Same here.

Wondering how much the fear helps something like this spread. I’ve read about some people who damn near died after taking every precaution imaginable. Kinda weird.

As for people thinking this is what’s exposing selfishness in the world, lol, sure. Selfishness was just as bad before all this, maybe you just didn’t notice it cause it wouldn’t get you sick.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
You don't say. And whose fault is it that we're not provided with any context?

Providing enough context to the uneducated population is wasted time. For every semi-clever person that will understand and read the data in its context, there are a dozen idiots like Jeff Fillion who'll just come up with even more stupid arguments to back up their outrageous claim. You can't win that game if you're the government and public health.

Reactions: Milhouse40

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Same here.

Wondering how much the fear helps something like this spread. I’ve read about some people who damn near died after taking every precaution imaginable. Kinda weird.

As for people thinking this is what’s exposing selfishness in the world, lol, sure. Selfishness was just as bad before all this, maybe you just didn’t notice it cause it wouldn’t get you sick.

I'm absolutely not scared of the virus. If I catch it I won't break a sweat. If I have to pick a losing ticket, well there's that. But I know the odds are in my favor. Although, I'm doing all in my power to avoid catching it and then potentially spreading it, as IMHO it's part of being a responsible citizen in a functional society. And you know, in general, part of being a man.

That being said, fear has absolutely nothing to do in how a virus spreads. I would imagine that anxiety weakens the immune system. But not knowing anyone who held huge parties who caught it is a pretty ridiculous argument. Hell, I know a ton of people who text and drive, and none of them die. Doesn't make it any more clever.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I'm absolutely not scared of the virus. If I catch it I won't break a sweat. If I have to pick a losing ticket, well there's that. But I know the odds are in my favor. Although, I'm doing all in my power to avoid catching it and then potentially spreading it, as IMHO it's part of being a responsible citizen in a functional society. And you know, in general, part of being a man.

That being said, fear has absolutely nothing to do in how a virus spreads. I would imagine that anxiety weakens the immune system. But not knowing anyone who held huge parties who caught it is a pretty ridiculous argument. Hell, I know a ton of people who text and drive, and none of them die. Doesn't make it any more clever.

Avoiding catching and spreading the virus is a very basic civic duty that we all need to accept.

Myself? I can't afford to get it. If I get sick, it means I can't have my family over to help with childcare. If I can't get help with childcare, I can't work. And if I'm too sick for childcare, I won't be able to work AND my wife won't be able to work since she'll need to be available for childcare.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Same here.

I just think its odd how they were able to predict a 2nd wave so precisely (September-fall, which started a week ago) but weren't able to prevent it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't think it's as cut and dried as being selfish or not selfish. I do agree that people that were selfish at the start, are still selfish, but I also think that a lot of people that were careful at the start gradually started being less careful and started letting their guard down...Some may not have even noticed it. People started doing what they were doing before. Getting together with their whole family, big groups of friends for BBQs, weddings with 100+ people, people drinking and being super close with each other. I wouldn't flat out blame it on the schools reopening, as I do think this second wave would have come eventually.
By selfish people im only referring to the minority who were purposely careless and defiant.
There's a big group of people who with time just cracked because..well..wanting to be with others is an actual need. Like my mom wanting to see her grandchildren isn't a selfish act. Someone who goes to see his gf isn't being selfish either.
Someone who's throwing a 100 person party, ya...he's a selfish twat.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I just think its odd how they were able to predict a 2nd wave so precisely (September-fall, which started a week ago) but weren't able to prevent it.

Well, it had been established rather early that heat + sun = bad for virus.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think it's more about being outside for gatherings that limited the outbreaks. As soon as temperature went down, it started again.
But the temperature didn't drop that badly. We were still mostly gathering outside with my friends.
The one thing that really augmented indoor gatherings are schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad