OT: Covid-19 (Part 29) Sick Again...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
But the temperature didn't drop that badly. We were still mostly gathering outside with my friends.
The one thing that really augmented indoor gatherings are schools.

That's another factor that I think the government just doesn't want to realize. My house is right in front of a park next to a high school. Teens don't give a crap about social distancing. I'm pretty sure a lot of the outbreaks have a lot to do with schools being opened. And in all honesty, while I think it's crucial to leave the elementary schools open, I think teenagers can have their classes remotely and care for themselves at home without their parents.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
That's another factor that I think the government just doesn't want to realize. My house is right in front of a park next to a high school. Teens don't give a crap about social distancing. I'm pretty sure a lot of the outbreaks have a lot to do with schools being opened. And in all honesty, while I think it's crucial to leave the elementary schools open, I think teenagers can have their classes remotely and care for themselves at home without their parents.
I’m assuming that because you have “elementary schools” you live in a western nation. Is this correct?

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
But the temperature didn't drop that badly. We were still mostly gathering outside with my friends.

yet recent case counts show 50% in the 20–39 age range. Those aren’t school aged children. (<20 at around 10%)

bars, restaurants and gatherings are the big culprits.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

Most of the people infected are in their 20's.

Schools started again, including universities. The universities are all virtual but university parties also started and those are not virtual. Neither are the many university aged kids going to bars and restaurants more often now that the semester has started.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
De façon temporaire | Loto-Québec : 1350 employés mis à pied

So I just got laid off, no notice or anything. They only paying us the hours worked til Wednesday midnight. All supervisors and employees gone... I was expecting to get laid off with the closing coming up. But I was expecting them to give us 2 weeks for pay so people have time to settle in their new reality.
Nope massive middle finger to everyone. I'm a lucky one, I'm only losing 1 day of pay this week but I got some staff members who won't even get 1 hour paid this week because they work Thursday to Sunday... what a cluster ****
Using the force majeure excuse so they don't have to pay anyone. Then you add the government forcing my families resto to close down too. I might have to sell my condo and everything I worked for the last 5 years...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I thought this was disproven given how it spread to multiple hot climates.

... Mostly as people went inside.
(I mean, there were cases of people catching covid at late house parties/bars this summer)

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
Anyone with a strong immune system will have a more mild illness in most cases. That’s the case for any virus, influenza, etc., though.

I think lockdowns were necessary at the start because it was largely unknown, but public health officials have done more to strike fear in the population rather than give people insight and advice on how to improve their own immune system to cause a better outcome if they did contract it. Yes, keep distance, wear a mask, wash your hands, but also eat well, get your nutrients, get a good sleep and exercise.

The lack of proactive health info was ridiculous. I'm finally seeing Vitamin D being suggested in news articles even though I've known about it for months.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
You're not going to catch this virus magically. You need to be in contact with someone that has it, and even then, that person needs to be close enough to you.
The other option you left out is they didnt actually have the virus.

If the virus was as prevalent in an asymptomatic way, the spread would have kept growing. If so many had it without symptoms, well then when we'd see our parents, they would for sure get it, at least a few of them.

So no one out of all these people you said were partying had it? Or they did have it but didn't get close enough to other people to spread it, while partying?

If none of them had it, why are we so worried about getting it?

If they did have it but could party indoors with people without spreading it, why are we worried about getting it?

I'm not questioning what you're saying btw. I'm trying to figure out how all those people could party indoors together, no one had it, no one spread it...but we need to lock things down, take measures while calmly walking through a store not partying, and even then we're supposed to worry about getting it.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

So I just got laid off, no notice or anything. They only paying us the hours worked til Wednesday midnight. All supervisors and employees gone... I was expecting to get laid off with the closing coming up. But I was expecting them to give us 2 weeks for pay so people have time to settle in their new reality.
Nope massive middle finger to everyone. I'm a lucky one, I'm only losing 1 day of pay this week but I got some staff members who won't even get 1 hour paid this week because they work Thursday to Sunday... what a cluster ****
Using the force majeure excuse so they don't have to pay anyone. Then you add the government forcing my families resto to close down too. I might have to sell my condo and everything I worked for the last 5 years...

I'm sorry to hear that. And that's why I think we have to look a bit over the virus itself and find a balance.
What I find unacceptable is the softball "OSCAR" operation they had a couple of weeks ago. You get inside bars and pretty much ignore people not giving a damn about the rules, fail to hand out tickets and just give warnings to some people? Fine. But then don't come up and close everything one week later. I mean, for weeks we've heard about this "Convaincre pas contraindre" argument, and now, all a sudden, we penalize those who for the most part did everything possible to keep their job. And we don't hand out a single f***ing ticket to those who broke the rules repeatedly. We let idiots gather thousands at a time without a mask to protest the sanitary measures. And from one day to the other, you shutdown pretty much all of the economy.

I'm sorry, but it's unacceptable. And I'm one of those who is ALL FOR precautionnary measures and being careful. But at some point, we have to stop being completely Pejorative Slur about it and take some measures that can last for the next several months. Because you can't play yo-yo with owners and entrepreneurs forever. Or even with employees who just try to earn their living.

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010

You can’t apply for the PCRE (CRB) ?

pvanders21

Feb 5, 2015
You are a nut!!

This is actually the plan.

Impose measures to keep spikes as low as possible, relax them as things get better while maintaining certain mitigation efforts in place and adjusting to incorporateanything new we learn along the way.

The 'quarantines' we do are meant to be both a hard stop to uncontrolled spread, as well as a reset of sorts, to allow the wave to die down and get to a level that is more manageable.

As it stands, with levels the way they are, proper contact tracing is impossible. That's the biggest issue. Contact tracing programs are the only way to control the pandemic without a vaccine. But with 1000 cases/day they cannot possibly do that effectively and they admit as much.

Most projections have been expecting waves that rise and fall during the course of the pandemic, for about 2 and a half years or so.
5eb1cafc42278d0cb46414e5

When the waves go too high to manage, we need to impose a temporary lockdown like we're doing now. It won't go back down without some kind of intervention. Ideally we can keep a "scenario 3" for as long as possible with good contact tracing and other measures. It's not going to just go away like magic.

A large reason why things went so well this summer is because contact tracing was able to keep things in check (among other factors). But now? Contact tracing is not possible and will never be possible with the level of new cases we're seeing. So we really don't have a choice.

The best way to avoid alternating cycles of quarantining and re-opening is simple: Everyone needs to be on board, everyone needs to take this seriously, everyone needs to do their part. Everyone. If there's even just one person with a head full of shit thinking they know better than public health officials then it's enough to derail it for many, many others.

We're all suffering, making sacrifices. When someone turns around and says this thing is not so bad, and acts accordingly, it undoes the work that everyone is doing.

It's selfish, and I personally will not forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad