OT: Covid-19 (Part 25) Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's an example of taking dangerous high-stakes actions before critical thought.
Before critical thought? You realize they've been discussing this for years right? That's why you have people vandalizing and tearing them down, they've been asking for monuments related to racism be removed for a long time mate.
People have had enough of the inactions so they're going to what they feel is the next logical steps.
He organized the mob to tear it down.
Due to the inactions of the government. He said it himself: “We’re trying to let the government know we’re not going to wait any longer for our freedom to happen.”
Activists Push for Removal of Statue of Freed Slave Kneeling Before Lincoln

For him, the statue shows how Black people's freedoms is dependant on white people and you can't fault him for feeling this way.

There would be a very simple solution to all this, the most logical one and it should have done years ago, put all these in Museums.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
While I mostly agree with you that the way Quebec has reopened so far is fine (imo the problem is that a good part of the population doesn’t seem to care anymore compared to back in March/April), your numbers are off. 218 was the total new cases for the Canada yesterday, not including BC or Quebec as they don’t update their numbers during weekends. So Ontario + Alberta (+1 in SK). BC has a total of 159 active cases. That should go up when they update the data later today. They don’t test as much as here, but they also aren’t really a hotspot anymore.

I have a hard time comparing QC with BC, our situation is really closer to Ontario. Isn’t it a different SARS-CoV2 strain than theirs?

Source 1
Source 2
Correct for cases, misread it.
In any event, doesn't change my point. Qc has progressively reopened over 2 months. Lombardy is going to reopen La Scala on July 4th for concerts. We're talking one of the worst epicenters hit in the World, Italy reopened its borders already to EU, UK and few more countries already.
They started reopening back in May progressively, as we have.

A raise in cases wouldn't be surprising, it also doesn't mean everything must stay shut.
People are loosening some measures, it's only normal. It's fine to give my buddy a high five, but people are still conscious of this. I'm not really sharing food with friends, and if anybody feels something then of course we would say things, mostly seeing the same group of 15 people or so weekly.
So if an increase in numbers happen, people and the government are a lot more prepared.

Reactions: DavePeak

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
A raise in cases wouldn't be surprising, it also doesn't mean everything must stay shut.
Indeed, if a 100% effective vaccine would be coming our way next week, I’d say sure, let’s stay closed and wait until then, but we’re far from there. We had to reopen eventually and the government went step by step, even if the last bits seemed to have been rushed somewhat (ask some restaurants and bar owners).

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Indeed, if a 100% effective vaccine would be coming our way next week, I’d say sure, let’s stay closed and wait until then, but we’re far from there. We had to reopen eventually and the government went step by step, even if the last bits seemed to have been rushed somewhat (ask some restaurants and bar owners).
Well I don't think they rushed restaurants and bars. Most of those businesses were closed for 3 months. Last week they announced reopening of bars effective immediately but that doesn't mean they actually had to open, just that they're allowed to. These guys had a lot of time to prepare for reopening, if they weren't ready to go, it's probably more on them.

In any event, guess we will see how next few weeks go.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Before critical thought? You realize they've been discussing this for years right? That's why you have people vandalizing and tearing them down, they've been asking for monuments related to racism be removed for a long time mate.
People have had enough of the inactions so they're going to what they feel is the next logical steps.

Due to the inactions of the government. He said it himself: “We’re trying to let the government know we’re not going to wait any longer for our freedom to happen.”

For him, the statue shows how Black people's freedoms is dependant on white people and you can't fault him for feeling this way.

There would be a very simple solution to all this, the most logical one and it should have done years ago, put all these in Museums.

Again, we're talking about a mob of self-entitled judges. These mobs aren't discussing anything, let alone for years. They want results now. Problem is, that's not how change happens. We've seen amazing social change in the past century and all of it has happened peacefully after a lot of talk and negotiations, and a winning over of hearts and minds. Those groups did the work and got real results.

Mobs aren't part of any process. In fact, they stall the process because they shut down debate. If the government acts on the protests and removes certain statues, what's the mob gonna do with a statue that isn't removed? Does a mob respect any negotiation, compromise, or disagreement?

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Hmm how is BC doing it differently?
QC has gradually reopened for 2 months now and cases continued to drop to where we were under 50 cases daily.
BC is open as much as QC and had 218 cases yesterday no?

We expect a raise in cases as places open up, such is normal, and if rollbacks must happen they will.
The goal is to learn with the virus among us, not go into hiding until theres 0 case.

BC is about 10-15 cases per day, we had about 2 deaths in the past week. ICU is down to 5 for the past 2 weeks so testing has nothing to do with it. What we are doing is we opened to 65% based on simulation models. Zero case are not the goal, but we want contact tracing under 48 hours, again, based on models.

I seriously hope it works for you guys, because what you are doing have a direct impact on me seeing my families in Quebec, and it is actually very hard to cancel our trip this summer. My kids are crushed, and so are their grandparents. So if you guys fail to be in control, well it will be even longer.

The numbers today (311 for 4 days) are not really that reassuring. They would be if you would still be in restriction because it is clearly a good trend, but you are not at that phase anymore, and these numbers are a high starting point to reopen. One person going into a bar can start this all over again, and it would be all for nothing what we did in the past 4 months. Anyway, we will see.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Solid words from the harvard student. I'm glad he can say stuff for the gram.

Seriously, lets try this:

I say we remove MLKs statue. We do not wait. We do it now as every day it oppresses the values of women who still strive for equal respect, pay and equality. Women are raped constantly and a statue of a man marginalizing that should not stand.

Please support me in tearing the statue down IMMEDIATELY if not you are sexist. You need an opinion NOW. It doesn't matter I haven't consulted women about this. It doesn't matter what other genders or generations think. This is my event! I need to be heard!

I sound like an entitled brat, not an activist. It's stupid. He even talks about how as a black man he got advantages getting into Harvard.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Again, we're talking about a mob of self-entitled judges. These mobs aren't discussing anything, let alone for years. They want results now. Problem is, that's not how change happens. We've seen amazing social change in the past century and all of it has happened peacefully after a lot of talk and negotiations, and a winning over of hearts and minds. Those groups did the work and got real results.

Mobs aren't part of any process. In fact, they stall the process because they shut down debate. If the government acts on the protests and removes certain statues, what's the mob gonna do with a statue that isn't removed? Does a mob respect any negotiation, compromise, or disagreement?

The problem with a mob is it removes any chance of good will. There are politicians who have agreed to review certain statues.

If you tear it down before hand you are not allowing the system to support you, you will always go around saying 'we had to do it ourselves'. It's bullshit. It's designed to put importance on yourself and not the cause.

All you are doing is something illegal, disruptive and undemocratic.

You do not destroy things because you find them offensive. If that's the case, everything would be destroyed.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I say we remove MLKs statue. We do not wait. We do it now as every day it oppresses the values of women who still strive for equal respect, pay and equality. Women are raped constantly and a statue of a man marginalizing that should not stand.

Please support me in tearing the statue down IMMEDIATELY if not you are sexist. You need an opinion NOW. It doesn't matter I haven't consulted women about this. It doesn't matter what other genders or generations think. This is my event! I need to be heard!

I sound like an entitled brat, not an activist. It's stupid. He even talks about how as a black man he got advantages getting into Harvard.
Well ya, because it's a horrible analogy. You have no proof of MLK's disgusting treatment of women. This would be cancel culture. You also haven't been asking for years to take this statue down. Might as well just invent crap and say the Statue of Liberty's real meaning is actually telling the USA to go f*** themselves and she represents a cocaine heiress psycho like Griselda Blanco so let's tear that bitch down. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

For the Emancipation Memorial though, we already have the proof. We know there were slaves, and after that there was a century of Jim Crow laws and institutional racism where people still are affected by it today. They asked for years to remove these monuments but their asks have fallen on deaf ears.
So these people now are saying enough and taking things into their own hands. You can disagree with their decision but there actually is rationality behind it and you can't deny that.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

i say we let Black people make that decision

it's already silly enough that Americans think Lincoln freed slaves

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
BC is about 10-15 cases per day, we had about 2 deaths in the past week. ICU is down to 5 for the past 2 weeks so testing has nothing to do with it. What we are doing is we opened to 65% based on simulation models. Zero case are not the goal, but we want contact tracing under 48 hours, again, based on models.

I seriously hope it works for you guys, because what you are doing have a direct impact on me seeing my families in Quebec, and it is actually very hard to cancel our trip this summer. My kids are crushed, and so are their grandparents. So if you guys fail to be in control, well it will be even longer.

The numbers today (311 for 4 days) are not really that reassuring. They would be if you would still be in restriction because it is clearly a good trend, but you are not at that phase anymore, and these numbers are a high starting point to reopen. One person going into a bar can start this all over again, and it would be all for nothing what we did in the past 4 months. Anyway, we will see.
311 cases in 4 days is actually very good for us. That's less than 80 per day, which actually is great news considering the protesting and reopening since mid-june. Keep in mind we're still testing around 8K daily too.

This ''one person can go into a bar and start it all over'' is true for anywhere in the world. You can't function with this line of thinking.

Hopefully you're vacation will go as planned. We have a chalet planned for the end of July in Sandbanks for a week in a group of 10, hopefully that will still be good.
I'm doing a bday party on the 10th of July as well, so I don't want numbers to surge back up in July either messing everything up, but I don't think we rushed back into things at all either.
Also worth knowing, businesses were given the green light to operate but a lot of them stayed closed and some still are. Lululemon for example, has stayed closed all this time and only recently opened just for curbside pick ups.
Some places are waiting till after Canada day to open too.

They might show you scary pictures on TV but things aren't as bad as you might think.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
311 cases in 4 days is actually very good for us. That's less than 80 per day, which actually is great news considering the protesting and reopening since mid-june. Keep in mind we're still testing around 8K daily too.

This ''one person can go into a bar and start it all over'' is true for anywhere in the world. You can't function with this line of thinking.

Hopefully you're vacation will go as planned. We have a chalet planned for the end of July in Sandbanks for a week in a group of 10, hopefully that will still be good.
I'm doing a bday party on the 10th of July as well, so I don't want numbers to surge back up in July either messing everything up, but I don't think we rushed back into things at all either.
Also worth knowing, businesses were given the green light to operate but a lot of them stayed closed and some still are. Lululemon for example, has stayed closed all this time and only recently opened just for curbside pick ups.
Some places are waiting till after Canada day to open too.

They might show you scary pictures on TV but things aren't as bad as you might think.

Unfortunately we had to cancel because when we go it is about 3 weeks of parasiting the families, most of them over 70s and 80s, staying at their houses, etc. So that's a no-no for us. We couldn't live with ourselves if something were to happen because we stayed at their place. Going into hotels is also out of the question from a financial point of view, 3 weeks would be harsh.

I just have to find a job in Quebec to go back and be there all the tme but well, right now is not very favorable on emplyment aspect either :)

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Anyone active in these threads can attest to my highly conservative views regarding handling this pandemic and despite Quebec moving forward with things in a way I thought was far too aggressive and reckless, I have to say that the numbers have been really encouraging overall. I think people are slipping a bit and there is still a chunk of people who are selfishly not wearing masks/following guidelines but despite that, the numbers have been falling more and more and it is super encouraging.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Anyone active in these threads can attest to my highly conservative views regarding handling this pandemic and despite Quebec moving forward with things in a way I thought was far too aggressive and reckless, I have to say that the numbers have been really encouraging overall. I think people are slipping a bit and there is still a chunk of people who are selfishly not wearing masks/following guidelines but despite that, the numbers have been falling more and more and it is super encouraging.
I expect a surge in July. And not a small one. I've seen a lot of careless folks around these neck of the woods. And I'm guessing it's the same elsewhere.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Unfortunately we had to cancel because when we go it is about 3 weeks of parasiting the families, most of them over 70s and 80s, staying at their houses, etc. So that's a no-no for us. We couldn't live with ourselves if something were to happen because we stayed at their place. Going into hotels is also out of the question from a financial point of view, 3 weeks would be harsh.

I just have to find a job in Quebec to go back and be there all the tme but well, right now is not very favorable on emplyment aspect either :)
Well that's unfortunate, some hotels are pretty cheap though due to their low numbers. Might be worth to check but ya, three weeks in a hotel with kids..will still cost you a pretty penny.

I feel you for the employment, I've been stuck here for months and looking for a half decent position but it's very difficult.

Reactions: Paddyjack

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
At this point none of the numbers or news makes any sense to me anymore so while I am staying informed, I am not bothering to analyze or make sense of any of this because it just doesn't add up.

Numbers plummeting in Quebec but exploding in Florida/Texas? COVID traces found in March 2019 wastewater in Spain? Makes ZERO sense to me. So I'm not going to frustrate myself anymore.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I expected one a few weeks back and it hasn't happened yet. I think it's just really rare to catch it outside, and most people are interacting outside primarily.
We should have seen a big surge already due to protests and reopenings but it doesn't seem to have happened..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad