OT: Covid-19 (Part 25) Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Maybe in your specific neighbourhoods or if you're just seeing people outside. There's no need to wear a mask when out walking, when I go inside shops though, the majority of people wear some.
Everyone I know does it this way, some even wear gloves.

On another note...
Here's a fun video of your guy

That is a guy who told on all his schoolmates to be the teacher's pet.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
When I see a piece of news like that my plan is to read the original paper, because what come directly to my mind is, how did they detect it exactly, and is this a less contagious parent form of the current virus that suddenly mutated at the end of 2019? Detection tests are often based on a piece of RNA or DNA but a very similar and parental virus could have the same piece. I wonder if they sequenced it. Anyway, I will try to find the info directly today.

Ok I read the paper.

First of all, this was in MedRxiv, which is not peer reviewed. So, yeah.

Second, this result was only positive on one date in March 2019, on the 12th. It was also only positive with 2 of the 5 genome targets they were using. (IP2 and IP4 fragments for those who knows). It was negative for the enveloppe and the nucleoprotein N1 and N2 targets. So like I said above, this could be an close relative of our beloved coronavirus where the test recognize these 2 proteins but not the others.

No genome sequence have been done. So before they conclude SARS-CoV-2 was in the wastewater of Barcelona in March 2019 they should run a lot more tests. That is probably why they are publishing in MedR.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Okay? So a black queer woman started black lives matter.

That frees MLK of any potential wrong doing and offense to women?

Black lives decide whether a statue of slavery is offensive? Agreed. They are ancestors of victims of that abuse.

Black lives decide whether a statue of someone who allegedly treated women like shit is offensive? Why?

That's ridiculous. I don't anticipate the MLK statue be removed but that is besides the point. The reasoning makes no sense. On one hand those offended make the decisions, on the other the offended don't matter.

i didn't say it freed him of said allegations, i said that's something for Black people to debate amongst themselves

honestly, the only times i've heard MLK being called a womanizer was from White conservatives...

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
i didn't say it freed him of said allegations, i said that's something for Black people to debate amongst themselves

honestly, the only times i've heard MLK being called a womanizer was from White conservatives...

Again, that makes no sense. Why would black people decide if he is guilty?

It's like saying confederates should decide if confederate heroes are guilty. It's biased.

That said, this stems from unreleased FBI tapes which depict MLK as a womanizer who laughed at a woman being raped.

They are unreleased but that is the jist of the information available.

It's inconclusive but this was merely an example in how it should not be MLK supporters deciding if its offensive. It would be women and rape victims to make that decision.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Again, that makes no sense. Why would black people decide if he is guilty?

It's like saying confederates should decide if confederate heroes are guilty. It's biased.

That said, this stems from unreleased FBI tapes which depict MLK as a womanizer who laughed at a woman being raped.

They are unreleased but that is the jist of the information available.

It's inconclusive but this was merely an example in how it should not be MLK supporters deciding if its offensive. It would be women and rape victims to make that decision.

because White people have often led the conversation on topics that have zero consequences on their lives while turning away from their own crimes. it's best they stay out of this one considering how hated MLK was back in the day (it's only recently that he's been looked as a good figure and White people still misquote him to put Black people back in their place)

yes, and lord knows we should believe what the FBI has to say about MLK. they've never made stuff up about Black revolutionaries

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
because White people have often led the conversation on topics that have zero consequences on their lives while turning away from their own crimes. it's best they stay out of this one considering how hated MLK was back in the day (it's only recently that he's been looked as a good figure and White people still misquote him to put Black people back in their place)

yes, and lord knows we should believe what the FBI has to say about MLK. they've never made stuff up about Black revolutionaries

Again, you've missed the point. Women would be the victims, why wouldn't they decide? Women isn't just white women. It's a whole gender.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Again, you've missed the point. Women would be the victims, why wouldn't they decide? Women isn't just white women. It's a whole gender.

no, White women are def their own thing. unless you have some proof that shows White women's lives were affected by MLK or other Black revolutionaries - their opinion doesn't matter here

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
no, White women are def their own thing. unless you have some proof that shows White women's lives were affected by MLK or other Black revolutionaries - their opinion doesn't matter here

lol what. Again, MLK is accused of being a womanizer who made light of rape against a woman.

Why do women's opinions not count?

By no means am I worried about MLK as i'd keep statues of him but in this hypothetical scenario how can you say women aren't affected by this? Do white women not suffer from inequality? Rape?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's an example that was brought up in this thread. i don't know american history enough to bring up other ones. That said, this kid hasn't been asking for years, let's not kid ourselves.
Why not? Because he's 20? So he couldn't be fighting for this cause at 18? Dude, no offense, but that's some weird ass rationale. A lot of kids get involved in causes they believe in at an early age. Just look at some of the leaders fighting against China in HK, Joshua Wong was an activist at 14.
Don't paint everyone with your preconceived brush and trying to just paint him as some jerk off kid.
There actually is no rationality. Offensive is subjective. This is a statue paid for by freed slaves.
Yes there absolutely have a rationality behind removing all public monuments focusing on racism and putting them in a museum.
Ya, paid by slaves but designed and created by a white man who refused to take in the input of the emancipated.
The exact problem is one you demonstrated in this very post. "I am offended by something. I tried getting it removed and it did not work and as such I will do something illegal to get my way."
Why do you generalize something that is very specific? It's not just ''something'' that offends him. It's the image of slavery and the past. Again, disagree with him or not, but to claim zero validity to his point is an odd stance to take.

Given offense is subjective, what happens when other groups take the same approach? If it gets enough signatures then so be it, I can do whatever I want?
If the cause they're fighting for is as f***ed up as slavery, then ya, if going through proper channels lead nowhere then I'm not going to be surprised people have a breaking point. You want them to wait perpetually?
We're not talking about being offended because some twit puts ketchup on his pasta here man. A bit of perspective can go a long way.
If you do not understand the danger of this you are not looking past the now. It sets a horrible precedent where the law is not the driving force in actions, only personal preference. When hate groups use the same logic should they be put in jail or be free to go? If you let one go, you have to let the other go too. It's nonsensical.

Again, this is the problem with the mob exaggeration mentality. There is no priority, no rationality. It's "EVERYTHING MUST GO NOW". That causes the issue. It didn't start at Statue A,B and C then move onto others. This is starting wherever someone can possibly take offense.
That's BS. I haven't seen you mention how what this mob is fighting for is to remove monuments related to slavery from the streets. This is not an irrational or ridiculous demand. They don't want statues of White Supremacists in the streets, this ain't some crazy ask.
The Emancipation Monument, ya paid by slaves, so what, it still is a tough reminder for some and it should already have been put in a museum like the rest of the statues.

This is also the other critical element. Which petitions have previously been signed in significant numbers? People keep referencing this. "They tried the peaceful way, now they have no choice." Every single article I see says this:

Where's the mention of the previous inquiries or petitions made? I'm not talking about petitions of 100 signatures because its obvious why that wouldn't get traction but clearly there is no mention of this being petitioned in great numbers before. What makes you think that it was for sure done? What is your source besides assuming? You talk about rationality, where's the rationality in that?

With a review set for tomorrow, why tear it down today?

There's been criticism of this monument dating back to Frederick Douglass days where the American University quotes him saying: "This statue showed the Negro on his knees when a more manly attitude would have been indicative of freedom."
Emancipation Memorial - Wikipedia

You can also read here an article discussing the history of the statue and pointing out criticism around it dating as far back as 1916 until the 2000s.

And the discussions of slavery related monuments have been a constant topic of discussion across many states for multiple years. Questioning if a petition was actually signed is silly man. They shouldn't even have to write a petition, the cities and states should be smart enough to figure out these things should be in a museum, not in the streets.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
lol what. Again, MLK is accused of being a womanizer who made light of rape against a woman.

Why do women's opinions not count?

By no means am I worried about MLK as i'd keep statues of him but in this hypothetical scenario how can you say women aren't affected by this? Do white women not suffer from inequality? Rape?

accused by whom? the FBI? lol

yes, White women suffer from all those things - yet most still defend the patriarchy. have you seen Black people suggest all White women should be canceled because of the recent story of how many Women were slave owners?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm not much of a conspiracy peddler but you can't possibly ignore the major gain it would be for white america back in those days to make it seem like MLK was some sadistic rape enthusiast....seems a tad too convenient.
But yes, if it did come out that he was this disgusting misogynist prick, then remove his statue. I don't get the problem.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
accused by whom? the FBI? lol

yes, White women suffer from all those things - yet most still defend the patriarchy. have you seen Black people suggest all White women should be canceled because of the recent story of how many Women were slave owners?

I'm not much of a conspiracy peddler but you can't possibly ignore the major gain it would be for white america back in those days to make it seem like MLK was some sadistic rape enthusiast....seems a tad too convenient.

Too focused on the person. Its an example. Call it whoever you want, if the evidence came out it would not be black people to decide. It would be the victims.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Too focused on the person. Its an example. Call it whoever you want, if the evidence came out it would not be black people to decide. It would be the victims.
Except it's not the victim who decide, that's the problem. It's the states, and they haven't responded for years to the criticism of removing statues.
If there's proof that anybody who has a statue comes out showing they were actually bad people, then remove it.
Again, just like they did in Penn State with Paterno.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Why not? Because he's 20? So he couldn't be fighting for this cause at 18? Dude, no offense, but that's some weird ass rationale. A lot of kids get involved in causes they believe in at an early age. Just look at some of the leaders fighting against China in HK, Joshua Wong was an activist at 14.
Don't paint everyone with your preconceived brush and trying to just paint him as some jerk off kid.

Did you read his quotes that were recorded with video?

"Let me show you how full of shit all y'all out here are," Folden said. "A lot of people out here want to tear this statue down, but they don't even know the history."
As Folden spoke, Foster asked him to be quiet, saying that older people should have no say in black activism.

"Last time I checked, this was my event," Foster said.

Yeah, I consider statements like that to be representative of a dickhead.

Yes there absolutely have a rationality behind removing all public monuments focusing on racism and putting them in a museum.
Ya, paid by slaves but designed and created by a white man who refused to take in the input of the emancipated.

I agree. So change the statue. There's a review soon.

Why do you generalize something that is very specific? It's not just ''something'' that offends him. It's the image of slavery and the past. Again, disagree with him or not, but to claim zero validity to his point is an odd stance to take.

His motive and his actions are two different things. Don't confuse the two, I don't. The motive? Sure. The action? No.

If the cause they're fighting for is as f***ed up as slavery, then ya, if going through proper channels lead nowhere then I'm not going to be surprised people have a breaking point. You want them to wait perpetually?
We're not talking about being offended because some twit puts ketchup on his pasta here man. A bit of perspective can go a long way.

You keep saying 'going through proper channels' but then say 'why would they have to go through the proper channels' later.

That's BS. I haven't seen you mention how what this mob is fighting for is to remove monuments related to slavery from the streets. This is not an irrational or ridiculous demand. They don't want statues of White Supremacists in the streets, this ain't some crazy ask.
The Emancipation Monument, ya paid by slaves, so what, it still is a tough reminder for some and it should already have been put in a museum like the rest of the statues.

I even said remove all statues. I don't care for statues. Museum or otherwise, I have no issue with it. My issue is illegally tearing them down especially when a review is already scheduled. That's stupid.

There's been criticism of this monument dating back to Frederick Douglass days where the American University quotes him saying: "This statue showed the Negro on his knees when a more manly attitude would have been indicative of freedom."
Emancipation Memorial - Wikipedia

You can also read here an article discussing the history of the statue and pointing out criticism around it dating as far back as 1916 until the 2000s.

And the discussions of slavery related monuments have been a constant topic of discussion across many states for multiple years. Questioning if a petition was actually signed is silly man. They shouldn't even have to write a petition, the cities and states should be smart enough to figure out these things should be in a museum, not in the streets.

Well you suggested they went through the legal channels and were not heard, not me. You can't say something then take it away.

Why not start there? Why start at violence and vandalism? That is the point.

Again, it's not about the statues to me. It's about the process. At least try a solid petition because I am certain in this climate it would get reviewed and changed without the drama.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Except it's not the victim who decide, that's the problem. It's the states, and they haven't responded for years to the criticism of removing statues.
If there's proof that anybody who has a statue comes out showing they were actually bad people, then remove it.
Again, just like they did in Penn State with Paterno.

Well, shouldn't it be?

Obviously, in the cases where someone is proactive the issue is irrelevant. In the cases of statues 200 years old then obviously people need to speak up about their concerns.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

you mean like Bill Cosby? because yeah

ps. Joshua Wong isn't an activist

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Well ya, because it's a horrible analogy. You have no proof of MLK's disgusting treatment of women. This would be cancel culture. You also haven't been asking for years to take this statue down. Might as well just invent crap and say the Statue of Liberty's real meaning is actually telling the USA to go f*** themselves and she represents a cocaine heiress psycho like Griselda Blanco so let's tear that bitch down. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

For the Emancipation Memorial though, we already have the proof. We know there were slaves, and after that there was a century of Jim Crow laws and institutional racism where people still are affected by it today. They asked for years to remove these monuments but their asks have fallen on deaf ears.
So these people now are saying enough and taking things into their own hands. You can disagree with their decision but there actually is rationality behind it and you can't deny that.

They prefer the Orange's way of treating women! :)

Reactions: Forum93

Fergy22

Nov 9, 2003
Ft Wayne

I guess you never read Ralph Abernathy's book. Ralph was not a white conservative BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad