OT: Covid-19 (Part 25) Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
All of these plans include taking the entire police budget that they cut and give it to black people or programs specifically for them, like that is ever going to happen or that white people would ever go along with such a plan.

This makes it a nonstarter before it even begins. Plus, the wealthier people will budget for and get private security (which in all likelihood be the same cops that just lost their jobs).

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
All of these plans include taking the entire police budget that they cut and give it to black people or programs specifically for them, like that is ever going to happen or that white people would ever go along with such a plan.

This makes it a nonstarter before it even begins. Plus, the wealthier people will budget for and get private security (which in all likelihood be the same cops that just lost their jobs).

personally, i'm fine with forever protests. they just locked down a port in Oakland

if businesses are fine losing tonnes of money to protect a violent system, so be it

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

I've seen it tossed a few times that the budget needs to go specifically to programs for black people.

I think this mob mentality is getting to their head. Programs for minorities? The less fortunate? The unemployed? etc... of course. Making it about one group is kind of exclusive, not inclusive. It defeats the purpose.

There is progress to be made on all fronts but I fear some politician desperate to get re-elected and pull a 'good guy/girl image' will succumb to stupidity and blindly give people what they want.

I wonder if politicians are responsible for their actions? I doubt it. It costs them an election, nothing more.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
personally, i'm fine with forever protests. they just locked down a port in Oakland

if businesses are fine losing tonnes of money to protect a violent system, so be it

How much capacity of these ports does the US actually need? Plus, ports in Vancouver and Prince Rupert can handle a lot of capacity or through the Panama Canal.

It’s almost like a replay of the Reagan/air traffic controllers strike in the ‘80’s.

For the younger readers the air traffic controllers went on strike across the US, so the government kept flying planes with just the management/non union workers and the union caved. It destroyed the power of unions (except for police unions and a few other professional workers) and the unions still haven’t recovered.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
How much capacity of these ports does the US actually need? Plus, ports in Vancouver and Prince Rupert can handle a lot of capacity or through the Panama Canal.

It’s almost like a replay of the Reagan/air traffic controllers strike in the ‘80’s.

For the younger readers the air traffic controllers went on strike across the US, so the government kept flying planes with just the management/non union workers and the union caved. It destroyed the power of unions (except for police unions and a few other professional workers) and the unions still haven’t recovered.

no idea

dunno if the Reagan reference works since those were government workers

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
After having only 1 confirmed travel related positive case in the past 6 weeks or so and with yesterdays news that there are currently 0 active cases here in NL the province it seems is now gonna join the Atlantic Canada "bubble" with the other 3 Atlantic Canadian provinces which will come into effect in early July it seems.

Even though opening the border eventually had to happen as a resident of NL I'm not very happy with this news at this point. I'd have zero issues with allowing people to travel here from other provinces provided they're still be required to do their 14 day self isolation period but that isn't the case here.

Even with very low numbers in Atlantic Canada with this Atlantic Canada "bubble" proposal residents from these 4 provinces will be able to enter each province without needing to self isolate for 14 days and can roam around anywhere. That to me is a huge issue and IMO is just asking for trouble after doing such a great job of keeping the spread under control here and is quite disappointing to hear.

After reading comments from other NL residents on this possible decision it seems many aren't very happy about this possibly happening at this point and would like to wait a little longer.

I have a feeling the Premier, Health minister, and Chief Medical Officer who have been updating us here every day and has received huge amounts of praise for doing such a great job will soon likely go from hero to zero very quickly if this possible decision miserably backfires.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Even with very low numbers in Atlantic Canada with this Atlantic Canada "bubble" proposal residents from these 4 provinces will be able to enter each province without needing to self isolate for 14 days and can roam around anywhere. That to me is a huge issue and IMO is just asking for trouble after doing such a great job of keeping the spread under control here and is quite disappointing to hear.
Is there usually a lot of movement between the Atlantic provinces? Were people angry about being restricted from traveling over there?
I have a feeling the Premier, Health minister, and Chief Medical Officer who have been updating us here every day and has received huge amounts of praise for doing such a great job will soon likely go from hero to zero very quickly if this possible decision miserably backfires.
That is a recurring theme around the world!

Reactions: Runner77

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-19_19-17-56.png

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
no idea

dunno if the Reagan reference works since those were government workers
The air traffic controllers belonged to a union and the union went on strike. Who they worked for didn’t enter into the equation.

There’s a lot of container ports around the world with lots of spare workers who would be willing to be a scab for a big bundle of US $ Dollars. These are good jobs in tough times, this is just stupidity, imo.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Are we really surprised given what has happened in last 2 weeks in the USA?

I'm sure there's a small bits of that…..but this part has yet to hit fully.
Some epidemiologist said that the result takes a lot more time to show in the numbers.
Around 5 to 6 weeks according to her to see the real full effect cause it's not about those picking it up during the protest more than the ones they are going to infect in after that.

Let's say 1 infected persons gave it to 5 people in the protest.
Took about 1 week to show symptoms, another 3 to 5 days to get tested and counted
So after 2 weeks you only got 6 new cases. It takes more times.
Those 6 will give it to 15 persons, those 15 to 40 and those 40 will give it to 110 and so on.

Texas is burning right now and it's not because of their protests against racism….that's not where the party was.
But they were protesting like hell against the stay at home orders 6 weeks ago.

And the day is not over, the States are now at 31,798 today
Texas got 4000+ today

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Is there usually a lot of movement between the Atlantic provinces? Were people angry about being restricted from traveling over there?

I would think the area from PEI, and the southern parts of NB and maybe Halifax would be the where most of the movement will be, imo. It’s mostly going to be business and family reasons for travelling.

Going from St. John’s, NL to Halifax is a 2 day project. a full day across NL, overnight on the ferry and 7 hours to Halifax.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
The air traffic controllers belonged to a union and the union went on strike. Who they worked for didn’t enter into the equation.

There’s a lot of container ports around the world with lots of spare workers who would be willing to be a scab for a big bundle of US $ Dollars. These are good jobs in tough times, this is just stupidity, imo.

pretty sure it's 'illegal' for government workers to go on strike in the US

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

I'm not really sure but it sure seemed like there were many wanting to come into NL from NS this year and were complaining because they weren't allowed in. I also read comments from NL residents who weren't happy they couldn't visit NS either but no where near the same amount as there were from the other side.

The thing that irks me is the province wouldn't let people in who owned summer homes here and wanted to come in for 3-5 months and were willing to self isolate for 14 days but were told no you're not allowed in. Now after denying these people entry they're now thinking of letting residents from 3 other provinces in who won't have to self isolate for 14 days and yet the people from outside of Atlantic Canada with summer homes here still likely won't be allowed in even with a 14 day self isolation plan in place. Makes zero sense to me.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
pretty sure it's 'illegal' for government workers to go on strike in the US
Essential workers obviously are essential and therefore have restricted striking rights. I would assume that the rest of the unionized workers could legally go on strike. Not sure and don’t really care, tbh.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Dock workers are one powerful union. If they decide to act, it could paralyse the whole world. I don't see management stepping in this time.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
"Just a few bad apples"

You know how it's a crime to aid in a crime? Well, if you help a bad apple.. you're a bad apple.

This is grotesque. Why would they do this for any other reason than to protect themselves and others from footage of them committing murder?

Disgusting.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I'm sure there's a small bits of that…..but this part has yet to hit fully.
Some epidemiologist said that the result takes a lot more time to show in the numbers.
Around 5 to 6 weeks according to her to see the real full effect cause it's not about those picking it up during the protest more than the ones they are going to infect in after that.

Let's say 1 infected persons gave it to 5 people in the protest.
Took about 1 week to show symptoms, another 3 to 5 days to get tested and counted
So after 2 weeks you only got 6 new cases. It takes more times.
Those 6 will give it to 15 persons, those 15 to 40 and those 40 will give it to 110 and so on.

Texas is burning right now and it's not because of their protests against racism….that's not where the party was.
But they were protesting like hell against the stay at home orders 6 weeks ago.

And the day is not over, the States are now at 31,798 today
Texas got 4000+ today
I’m don’t really have a lot of faith in some of the epidemiologists surrounding this pandemic to be honest.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
"Just a few bad apples"

You know how it's a crime to aid in a crime? Well, if you help a bad apple.. you're a bad apple.

This is grotesque. Why would they do this for any other reason than to protect themselves and others from footage of them committing murder?

I’m sure someone will come and twist this saying that they had to be removed because the civilians were gonna break them, so you have to save public property lol

Reactions: WeThreeKings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino