OT: Covid-19 (Part 25) Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
At this point none of the numbers or news makes any sense to me anymore so while I am staying informed, I am not bothering to analyze or make sense of any of this because it just doesn't add up.

Numbers plummeting in Quebec but exploding in Florida/Texas? COVID traces found in March 2019 wastewater in Spain? Makes ZERO sense to me. So I'm not going to frustrate myself anymore.
Same here. None of this makes sense. Numbers are going down despite our actions, not because of them. We're being trolled by a virus with a sense of irony.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
That's what I expected as well. And I second what @waffledave wrote above. COVID traces in wastewater found in Italy in December? Wait... March 2019 in Spain? What??

When I see a piece of news like that my plan is to read the original paper, because what come directly to my mind is, how did they detect it exactly, and is this a less contagious parent form of the current virus that suddenly mutated at the end of 2019? Detection tests are often based on a piece of RNA or DNA but a very similar and parental virus could have the same piece. I wonder if they sequenced it. Anyway, I will try to find the info directly today.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Anyone active in these threads can attest to my highly conservative views regarding handling this pandemic and despite Quebec moving forward with things in a way I thought was far too aggressive and reckless, I have to say that the numbers have been really encouraging overall. I think people are slipping a bit and there is still a chunk of people who are selfishly not wearing masks/following guidelines but despite that, the numbers have been falling more and more and it is super encouraging.

Do you live in Montreal? Because I see about 10-20% people wearing masks, and they will be Asian or 40+. Young people good luck with 5% or more.

I barely see anyone in masks, Ahuntsic, Ville Saint Laurent, CSL area. Its like I am at a Trump rally LOL.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Do you live in Montreal? Because I see about 10-20% people wearing masks, and they will be Asian or 40+. Young people good luck with 5% or more.

I barely see anyone in masks, Ahuntsic, Ville Saint Laurent, CSL area. Its like I am at a Trump rally LOL.
I heard CSL passed a motion making masks mandatory in any indoor public space. Is that true? If so, that's a pretty bold move.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

In VSL I see around 70% wearing masks, but only 50% of those wearing masks properly.

Reactions: scrubadam

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Maybe in your specific neighbourhoods or if you're just seeing people outside. There's no need to wear a mask when out walking, when I go inside shops though, the majority of people wear some.
Everyone I know does it this way, some even wear gloves.

On another note...
Here's a fun video of your guy

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Maybe in your specific neighbourhoods or if you're just seeing people outside. There's no need to wear a mask when out walking, when I go inside shops though, the majority of people wear some.
Everyone I know does it this way, some even wear gloves.

As far as I know the official recommendation is to wear a mask if you will be around others indoors and it is difficult or impossible to socially distance.

So, I wear a mask if I'm going to a store, pharmacy, etc... I don't really go anywhere else where I'll be indoors around people.

I don't wear a mask when I'm walking outside, driving, at the park with my kid, etc...

Yesterday I went to the pharmacy and the dep to buy a few things. I don't put on the mask at all until I've already arrived there, right before I get out the car. But once I do put it on, I won't take it off till I get home and wash my hands.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
As far as I know the official recommendation is to wear a mask if you will be around others indoors and it is difficult or impossible to socially distance.

So, I wear a mask if I'm going to a store, pharmacy, etc... I don't really go anywhere else where I'll be indoors around people.

I don't wear a mask when I'm walking outside, driving, at the park with my kid, etc...

Yesterday I went to the pharmacy and the dep to buy a few things. I don't put on the mask at all until I've already arrived there, right before I get out the car. But once I do put it on, I won't take it off till I get home and wash my hands.
Same here, and that's how all my friends and family do it too, and obviously that's worked otherwise we would have seen major surges already from people gathering in parks and in their backyards.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal

same thing except, I remove the mask and throw it in the garbage before going in the car. wash my hand with hand sanitizer.
When I get home, I wash my hands

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal

I was in Laval today and I was really surprise to see many people wearing masks. I would say roughly 50/50, I don’t know if I just got lucky seeing that many people but I was expecting it to be a lot less.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
If you don't have a mask in a public area, breath through your nose. Nasal pathways filter out toxins much better than breathing through your mouth. You also aren't expelling as much moisture.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

My issue is people don't make an effort to keep a distance when you cross paths on a sidewalk. I go to the side, or even on the road, to respect that, but most people don't give a f*** and have no issue being one foot away from you.

Also went to Ikea, barely 50% had masks. This in Montreal. Went to the one in Boucherville and it was worse, about 30% of people had masks.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-29_15-14-52.png

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I was in Laval today and I was really surprise to see many people wearing masks. I would say roughly 50/50, I don’t know if I just got lucky seeing that many people but I was expecting it to be a lot less.
I live in Laval, that's about right. I used to feel weird when I was wearing a mask in public here, now it's the opposite, I feel people look at me if I don't have a mask. Where I see less people wear a mask is when they go to the dep because it's a quick in and out...otherwise, SAQ, Grocers, Pharmacies, Shops/restaurants...always a ton of people wearing masks.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
My issue is people don't make an effort to keep a distance when you cross paths on a sidewalk. I go to the side, or even on the road, to respect that, but most people don't give a f*** and have no issue being one foot away from you.

Also went to Ikea, barely 50% had masks. This in Montreal. Went to the one in Boucherville and it was worse, about 30% of people had masks.

That's unfortunately. Honestly there are a couple of stores, IKEA being one, that I would never, ever go to as long as the situation remains as it is. IKEA is chaos even without the pandemic. To me it's no shock they aren't able to control things there.

Where I'm at everyone gets out of the way of each other. It's pretty sweet. The streets are empty so it's easy to distance, thankfully.

Reactions: le_sean

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I live in Laval, that's about right. I used to feel weird when I was wearing a mask in public here, now it's the opposite, I feel people look at me if I don't have a mask. Where I see less people wear a mask is when they go to the dep because it's a quick in and out...otherwise, SAQ, Grocers, Pharmacies, Shops/restaurants...always a ton of people wearing masks.
Laval'ers are throwing their masks on the ground. WDF is that? Many times I noticed that. That's my biggest concern...

Reactions: DavePeak

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

My fro was enormous, and yesterday I gave in and shaved the back and sides, but left the top untouched. My wife kind of digs it so I'll keep it like this for a bit even if it looks a bit silly.

I had already chopped off half my beard a month or 2 ago and cut way too much off. Yesterday I chopped a bunch off again but this time I didn't go overboard so it looks ok.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
My trick is to look them in the eye, rapidly moving my eyebrows up and down and licking my lips. Works 100% of the time. :sarcasm:

But seriously, in my area, I'd say it's 50/50. Some people walk as they would have done pre-COVID, some move out of the way. I'm in the latter category (if it's safe to do so). Some even cross the street to walk on the other sidewalk, but it's a much rarer ocurrence than in March/April, fortunately.

I'm the same as most of you guys, I wear a mask whenever I'm inside a store, but not on the way there or back to home.

I work downtown though, and the streets are packed, so I put my mask on the moment I enter the metro station and keep it outside afterwards. Impossible to keep a safe distance and not a lot of people wearing masks.

The risk of getting it crossing someone on the street has been said to be very low though. I'm still very careful as I wouldn't want to infect anyone if I'm asymptomatic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lshap and le_sean

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Well ya, because it's a horrible analogy. You have no proof of MLK's disgusting treatment of women. This would be cancel culture. You also haven't been asking for years to take this statue down. Might as well just invent crap and say the Statue of Liberty's real meaning is actually telling the USA to go f*** themselves and she represents a cocaine heiress psycho like Griselda Blanco so let's tear that bitch down. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

For the Emancipation Memorial though, we already have the proof. We know there were slaves, and after that there was a century of Jim Crow laws and institutional racism where people still are affected by it today. They asked for years to remove these monuments but their asks have fallen on deaf ears.
So these people now are saying enough and taking things into their own hands. You can disagree with their decision but there actually is rationality behind it and you can't deny that.

It's an example that was brought up in this thread. i don't know american history enough to bring up other ones. That said, this kid hasn't been asking for years, let's not kid ourselves.

There actually is no rationality. Offensive is subjective. This is a statue paid for by freed slaves.

The exact problem is one you demonstrated in this very post. "I am offended by something. I tried getting it removed and it did not work and as such I will do something illegal to get my way."

Given offense is subjective, what happens when other groups take the same approach? If it gets enough signatures then so be it, I can do whatever I want?

If you do not understand the danger of this you are not looking past the now. It sets a horrible precedent where the law is not the driving force in actions, only personal preference. When hate groups use the same logic should they be put in jail or be free to go? If you let one go, you have to let the other go too. It's nonsensical.

Again, this is the problem with the mob exaggeration mentality. There is no priority, no rationality. It's "EVERYTHING MUST GO NOW". That causes the issue. It didn't start at Statue A,B and C then move onto others. This is starting wherever someone can possibly take offense.

This is also the other critical element. Which petitions have previously been signed in significant numbers? People keep referencing this. "They tried the peaceful way, now they have no choice." Every single article I see says this:

In the hometown of the statue’s designer, a petition to remove the copy prompted officials to schedule a public hearing on next steps on June 30.

"I've been watching this man on his knees since I was a kid," the petition from Tory Bullock reads. "It's supposed to represent freedom but instead represents us still beneath someone else. I would always ask myself, 'If he's free, why is he still on his knees?' No kid should have to ask themselves that question anymore."

Where's the mention of the previous inquiries or petitions made? I'm not talking about petitions of 100 signatures because its obvious why that wouldn't get traction but clearly there is no mention of this being petitioned in great numbers before. What makes you think that it was for sure done? What is your source besides assuming? You talk about rationality, where's the rationality in that?

With a review set for tomorrow, why tear it down today?

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
i mean, M4BL was started by Black queer women

Okay? So a black queer woman started black lives matter.

That frees MLK of any potential wrong doing and offense to women?

Black lives decide whether a statue of slavery is offensive? Agreed. They are ancestors of victims of that abuse.

Black lives decide whether a statue of someone who allegedly treated women like shit is offensive? Why?

That's ridiculous. I don't anticipate the MLK statue be removed but that is besides the point. The reasoning makes no sense. On one hand those offended make the decisions, on the other the offended don't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad