OT: COVID-19 Megathread III (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Yeah gonna suck if the Bridge has to stop accepting fans if there is another surge locally this winter

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Yeah gonna suck if the Bridge has to stop accepting fans if there is another surge locally this winter

On the contrary the Bridge is very accommodating. Mask requirement lifted just in time for the rodeo! Coincidental timing I’m sure.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
On the contrary the Bridge is very accommodating. Mask requirement lifted just in time for the rodeo! Coincidental timing I’m sure.

I'm just saying if Tennessee is the next hot spot this fall/winter because of poor vaccination rates they might be forced to do it.

Reactions: LCPreds

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I'm just saying if Tennessee is the next hot spot this fall/winter because of poor vaccination rates they might be forced to do it.
If they can keep infection numbers down with just a mask requirement but still allow attendance, good tradeoff IMO. However, I noticed at the playoff games the majority of people weren't wearing masks by the third period.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Temnessee just needs to grow a pair and get their damn shots...
I got a text from TN Dept of Health urging me to get my second shot. Which I have and they should have received info on this. I hope it was just a mass text they sent to every cell phone in the area but it kind of annoyed me.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Volde, what the state should do and will do are two totally different things. Even if cases spike again, I can't see leadership ever going back to protective measures. They had to have their hand forced just to half-ass things during the height of the pandemic last year, and now that mandates are relaxed I'm certain it will stay this way no matter what case numbers look like in the future.

Reactions: bdub24

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Volde, what the state should do and will do are two totally different things. Even if cases spike again, I can't see leadership ever going back to protective measures. They had to have their hand forced just to half-ass things during the height of the pandemic last year, and now that mandates are relaxed I'm certain it will stay this way no matter what case numbers look like in the future.

You're probably right. I was just thinking about what the NHL might do. But they probably wont care unless it starts affecting players

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't think the data supports that claim at all.

According to the CDC, as of 6/9/21, death data looks like this:

18-29: 2,323

30-39: 6,669

How many in that same age range have died from the vaccine? I know the number is greater than zero due to the blood clot issues. Of course, every death from the vaccine is a tragedy, and intuitively it feels differently because it's an active choice (nobody chooses to get COVID), but I think this is one case where our intuition fails. Yes, being young puts you at a decreased risk from a serious COVID infection, but is it less of a risk than getting the vaccine? Current evidence wouldn't support that.

Additionally, if you live in a place like TN, which is like 47th in the nation in vaccine uptake, then the chances of a outbreak are increased come this fall and winter making vaccination even more important compared to a region of the U.S. with high uptake.
Either way you are talking fractions of a fraction of the population. We are literally talking about something like .00000001% in either case.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Either way you are talking fractions of a fraction of the population. We are literally talking about something like .00000001% in either case.
That's "literally" wrong. Those zeros have actual meaning. There are something like 53 million people aged 18-29 in the USA. 2,323/53mil = o.0044% which is not even close to .00000001%... and that's just deaths... every other measure is much higher than deaths.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
That's "literally" wrong. Those zeros have actual meaning. There are something like 53 million people aged 18-29 in the USA. 2,323/53mil = o.0044% which is not even close to .00000001%... and that's just deaths... every other measure is much higher than deaths.

People using the multiple zero decimal points to justify not taking the shot are ignoring the big picture. Do they want to keep living like this? If we reach the 70-80% threshold and it's well distributed through the US we should see the cases drop to a minimal level and stay there. But if there is still 40 to 50 percent of the population that's susceptible then we will still see spikes in the cold months and we have to hope and pray that a vaccine resistant mutation doesnt spring up.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
The online misinformation wars have managed to not only suppress covid vaccine acceptance but also give pre-Covid anti-vaxxers a massive win here. Of all the outcomes this is not one I was expecting.

Reactions: PredsV82

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Hate to derail the hockey talk but this is important.

This is just dangerously and deliberately stupid.

Guess which animation house was doing all the outreach animations for this. Sigh. This state just keeps on giving.

My elder granddaughter is completely vaccinated, not sure about the status of the 5 year old but my guess is birth mom is against it.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Many California counties going back to mandated indoor masking. Unclear whether Governor is going to mandate it at a state level, as he is facing a recall election (largely based on his perceived handling of the pandemic).

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
So the NFL is gonna make teams forfeit if they cant play due to COVID, and teams are starting to cut/fire players and staff who wont vaccinate.

The COVID numbers are already multiplying at an alarming rate. Gotta wonder if the NHL has a plan if another shutdown comes or if they are gonna be more stringent on vaccinations

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Nobody said anything about "mandated" vaccination. This is eliminating materials to promote and educate.
At this point there has been a glut of information about COVID and Vaccines. Pretty much everyone who hasn't gotten jabbed understands the inherent value prop behind inoculations. The hold-outs won't be swayed , especially if the Govt is telling them they should do it for "their own good".

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Gotta wonder how that NFL policy is gonna turn out in court. Businesses like that have some leeway but you still can't step on individuals rights while doing so.

It could get sticky especially with each individual having a contract and I seriously doubt for alot of them there was any stipulations about something like this.

Heck it may even be different state by state being each team is an individual franchise.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Gotta wonder how that NFL policy is gonna turn out in court. Businesses like that have some leeway but you still can't step on individuals rights while doing so.

It could get sticky especially with each individual having a contract and I seriously doubt for alot of them there was any stipulations about something like this.

Heck it may even be different state by state being each team is an individual franchise.
There won't be any issues with court. Private employers can mandate whatever they want in most cases and especially in a contract labor situation like professional sports rather than some guy making an hourly wage. However, I don't think the NFL is mandating vaccines, they are just having greater consequences for unvaccinated players and teams who miss games due to positive tests, And teams can therefore make decisions based on these possible consequences

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
There won't be any issues with court. Private employers can mandate whatever they want in most cases
Agreed, but in this case the contract likely has very well defined parameters on what the player must do in order to remain in good standing with the team, and on what grounds the team could terminate the player's contract. It is unlikely that a team anticipated including anything like a COVID clause prior to last year, so the question would be whether refusal to get a vaccine falls within the scope of another covenant in the agreement that could give the team grounds to terminate the contract. The league is free to enforce its rules, but the team is still on the hook for a player that they won't be able to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad