OT: COVID-19 Megathread III (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Agreed, but in this case the contract likely has very well defined parameters on what the player must do in order to remain in good standing with the team, and on what grounds the team could terminate the player's contract. It is unlikely that a team anticipated including anything like a COVID clause prior to last year, so the question would be whether refusal to get a vaccine falls within the scope of another covenant in the agreement that could give the team grounds to terminate the contract. The league is free to enforce its rules, but the team is still on the hook for a player that they won't be able to play.

NFL contracts are not guaranteed like NHL. They cut players all the time for no reason other than saving cap space. If a team wants a player gone, hes gone

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
There won't be any issues with court. Private employers can mandate whatever they want in most cases and especially in a contract labor situation like professional sports rather than some guy making an hourly wage. However, I don't think the NFL is mandating vaccines, they are just having greater consequences for unvaccinated players and teams who miss games due to positive tests, And teams can therefore make decisions based on these possible consequences
If they are firing coaches and players for no other reason than not being vaccinated then they are mandating it. They may not have it written down but the courts generally don't care about that if your actions are continually showing something else.

I'd be interested to know about coaches because they and players are under completely different contract stipulations. When they get fired it's normally for performance so if that was not the given reason that could cause some issues.

Reactions: bdub24

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
One thing this Covid situation has taught me is that all of the wealth of knowledge freely available to everyone with an internet connection (in the USA at least) isn't really worth anything when so many just goes to Facebook for their mental inoculation instead.
Sadly though alot of people don't just go to Facebook they also go to media sites and gobble that stuff up and never do any actual checking into it. That's an issue on the right and left where people don't seem to understand that most of them are not about feeding you facts but rather about making money.

The bad thing too is places like Google and YouTube are increasingly becoming more and more about curating under the guise of misinformation.

This is how you end up with professionals like the guy that created the mrna versions of vaccines being shut down. The last thing we should be seeing is Healthcare professionals and researchers being shut down because someone somewhere doesn't like a certain piece of information.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
At this point there has been a glut of information about COVID and Vaccines. Pretty much everyone who hasn't gotten jabbed understands the inherent value prop behind inoculations. The hold-outs won't be swayed , especially if the Govt is telling them they should do it for "their own good".
Good thing this idiotic mindset didnt exist when the polio vaccine came out.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
We've still got just under 3 months until the season gets started but I'm getting worried that Covid may cause some disruption again next season. Considering the CDC guidance that just came out regarding masks and the Delta variant, and certain areas already reinstating indoor mask mandates (Vegas just announced this morning), I wonder what the fall/winter weather will bring. Ownership has to be thinking about this when allowing Poile to spend their money in FA. And I don't blame them.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Good thing this idiotic mindset didnt exist when the polio vaccine came out.
People trusted the government back then, it also helped that you knew getting Poilio would either kill you or leave you with some bad physical issues. Covid doesn't exactly have the issues with it that Polio did, at least not yet. Polio nailed everyone, Covid generally is mostly harmless for most people.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Dear willfully unvaccinated adults:

YOU SUCK!!

ITS ALL YOUR FAULT
ITS ALL YOUR FAULT
ITS ALL YOUR FAULT.

I had a beautiful little 8 year old girl in my office yesterday. Held still without crying or complaining while I cleaned out her ears.

After I was done I told her mom that since she was 8 she couldnt get the vaccine yet so the best way for the mom to protect her little girl was to get the vaccine herself and make sure the adults in the house were all vaccinated. Mom looked at me with a sneer and said "theres no way I'm doing that" and then put her head down and walked out.

There just are no words to adequately express my anger and frustration, so I'll just use our goalie chant, which comes pretty close.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL IN ANY CLOSELY RELATED FIELD REGARDING COVID. This is just my wall of text explaining why I'm taking the vaccine and why I think you should too. I'm happy to educate myself if you disagree with something.

There wasn't internet and such an easy access to bullshit back in the day. Different medias are fishing for clicks with titles that may mislead you and perhaps cause unwarranted fear, misinformation being shared without fact checking, alternative views that challenge the currently accepted facts about the virus worshipped as the second coming of Jesus. Lots of talk about the side effects. Lot's of references to swine flu vaccine and narcolepsy (at least here in Finland) and what if these vaccines cause something similar as well? Well there were around 300 cases and there were over 60 million administrated doses, so that's what 0,0005%. AND it was found out that it was the swine flu itself that caused narcolepsy and mostly in Nordic countries (most notably Finland if I recall). Still it's being used as an excuse to not take a vaccine. What about the side effects we know about vaccines that are used now? There are many lists of possible side effects floating around the internet, but what they often seem to forget to mention is how infrequent those negative side effects are.

Take a look at the ibuprofen side effects list
Side effects

The most common side effects of ibuprofen are:
  • headache
  • dizziness
  • drowsiness, fatigue and restless sleep
  • thirst and sweating
  • tingling or numbness in hands and feet
  • ringing in the ears
  • blurred vision and eye irritation
  • fluid retention and ankle swelling
  • mild allergic reaction
  • abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, heartburn, diarrhoea and constipation
  • bladder irritation and pain, frequent urination

And that's just ibuprofen. Now if you take any medication, take a look at the side effect, I dare you. You have probably seen similar lists circling the internet about covid vaccine side effects, right? SCARY STUFF, RIGHT? :eek:

You have to remember that while there are common side effects and some more severe rare ones, there are severe side effects to having the virus itself as well. We don't know the long term effects of the vaccine right? Do we know long term effects of having had the virus? Yeah, didn't think so. While if I'm not mistaken we have mostly seen old, sick and obese people on IR, but there are examples of young healthy people hospitalized and having long term effects (long covid). I just want to point out that when you think of the more or less known risks of the vaccine, same uncertainty shadows the virus itself. EXCEPT that to my understanding, not having herd immunity exposes us to more mutations.

The data we have so far strongly suggests that the benefits of the vaccines overweighs the risks. What I've gathered from the sources I find credible is that it's questionable whether children should be vaccinated or not, but it seems widely accepted that majority of the population need to be vaccinated to avoid any new variants to be able to be mutated.

When I had my shot a thought of "what if I'm one of the few that gets some serious side effects", you know a cold feeling. Fear I suppose. Perhaps due to the numerous times I had heard about the god damn side effects. Then I remembered that the mRNA vaccine I was about to get is designed to trigger my muscle cells to create the same spike proteins that the virus uses to get in, but without having any of the actual virus in it. If my body reacts strongly against this spike protein alone (side effects), then how would it react if I got the actual virus that uses these same proteins? I don't know how it works more specifically or if some other component in the vaccine triggers something else in my body, but I trust the professionals who work on this stuff every day.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I work in primary care and am dealing with the reluctants/resistors now. It is very frustrating. Especially my older patients who are at high risk for hospitalization. I try to find out what they are concerned with and answer their concerns to the best of my ability. I have been thanking patients who have gotten vaccinated. I think some resistance would be overcome if the FDA would just approve them instead of continuing the EUA.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I work in primary care and am dealing with the reluctants/resistors now. It is very frustrating. Especially my older patients who are at high risk for hospitalization. I try to find out what they are concerned with and answer their concerns to the best of my ability. I have been thanking patients who have gotten vaccinated. I think some resistance would be overcome if the FDA would just approve them instead of continuing the EUA.

Approval would certainly help though with this being so political now I'm not sure. It would also be nice if they would go ahead and just ban certain things without proof of vaccination that actually impact people. Air travel would be a great start. Exceptions should be made for children who are not able to get the vaccine of course.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If you are the federal government, or anything else right now, you better be very careful about running bans on stuff. This country is primed for a serious backlash. Not all of that is due to covid, but you have large segments of the population that are just done. You ban one thing, the other side bans something else to react. This stuff is only going to be settled in the courts for so long before it spills over. This is the closest we've been to outright battles in the streets since the 60's, and in most ways this is a heck of a lot more dangerous because neither side this go around gives a damn about peace, love, or happiness.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be doing what we can to prod people into getting the vaccine, I'm just saying if you prod too much you may not have anything left to worry about prodding.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
If you are the federal government, or anything else right now, you better be very careful about running bans on stuff. This country is primed for a serious backlash. Not all of that is due to covid, but you have large segments of the population that are just done. You ban one thing, the other side bans something else to react. This stuff is only going to be settled in the courts for so long before it spills over. This is the closest we've been to outright battles in the streets since the 60's, and in most ways this is a heck of a lot more dangerous because neither side this go around gives a damn about peace, love, or happiness.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be doing what we can to prod people into getting the vaccine, I'm just saying if you prod too much you may not have anything left to worry about prodding.

This country has a significant number of people who are being willfully stupid. For Gods sake piddly ass Owensboro KY had almost as many new cases as the entire province of Ontario the other day. Why? Because Canadians arent acting like idiots. They suffered quite a bit because their government didnt get them enough doses of vaccine initially but now that they have enough they are approaching 80% vaccinated and lo and behold COVID is disappearing up there. But we will never reach herd immunity any time soon because of a bunch of hardheaded morons.

And if all that happened was that the imbeciles got COVID I wouldnt be so upset. But as of right now these bastards are endangering my children, oth from the standpoint of being at risk for COVID and they are also screwing up my kids education. So screw them. If they dont want to be "prodded" they can get their heads our of their asses and do the right thing. Yes of course people have the freedom to choose not to do something that is logical, reasonable and even life saving... and I have the right to call them our for their stupidity and selfishness.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Titans' Ryan Tannehill: NFL 'trying to force our hands' on COVID-19 vaccines

Titans 90% vaccinated.

Tannehill pissed but getting his shots because of NFL mandates.

This is how and why there need to be mandates. There is a segment of people that will grudgingly do the right thing if they are forced to.
7 fully vaccinated people have died from COVID-19 in Texas, city says
I don’t want to live in any country that “Forces people to do anything”.

Who gets to decide what the “right thing” is? You? “Vice” President Harris? She said 8 months ago not to trust it!
Does it not seem odd our leadership is saying “Vaxxed of Masked” (that’s when I decided not to ever get Vaccinated or wear a mask) talking about going door to door, and now are monitoring and censoring people’s Facebook accounts. This is a dangerous overreach and Authoritarian

Vaccines are supposed prevent someone from catching the disease this one doesn’t even prevent someone from catching it, spreading it, or even dying from it. What does it actually do? I already have a 99.997% of surviving Covid. The masks are supposed to be worn because most people never even know they have Covid even before the vaccine it was a mild disease.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Man you really need to go do some research on how vaccines actually work. Do the work yourself and don't pull the info from Facebook or wherever you got that terrible insight.

Harris said 8 months ago not to trust the vaccine? Really? You need to go read the real quote and not whatever version you pulled it from. Come on man. Do the work.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
7 fully vaccinated people have died from COVID-19 in Texas, city says
I don’t want to live in any country that “Forces people to do anything”.

Who gets to decide what the “right thing” is? You? “Vice” President Harris? She said 8 months ago not to trust it!
Does it not seem odd our leadership is saying “Vaxxed of Masked” (that’s when I decided not to ever get Vaccinated or wear a mask) talking about going door to door, and now are monitoring and censoring people’s Facebook accounts. This is a dangerous overreach and Authoritarian

Vaccines are supposed prevent someone from catching the disease this one doesn’t even prevent someone from catching it, spreading it, or even dying from it. What does it actually do? I already have a 99.997% of surviving Covid. The masks are supposed to be worn because most people never even know they have Covid even before the vaccine it was a mild disease.

Nice. Dont even include the denominator of how many unvaccinated have died. You may have had a 99+% chance of "surviving" back last year but with the delta variant you do not have a 99%+ chance of not being hospitalized, ending up in a vent, dying, or having long term complications.

What does it do, you ask? The vaccine does make your chances of not getting sick and not ending up on a vent/dying VANISHINGLY small. Try reading some non biased news. The numbers are pretty impressive. Nowadays about 99.5% of all COVID deaths are in the unvaccinated. Almost all hospitalized COVID patients are unvaccinated.

Look at Canada, where vaccine acceptance is widespread... COVID numbers continue to drop whereas they are spiking down here and it's still summer.

If you refuse to see the benefit of vaccination, it's because you choose not to see it.

Best analogy I have is the vaccine isnt a force field but it is a bullet proof vest. If you get shot you will feel something and might be a little sore but you wont get penetrated by a bullet.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I mean businesses can pretty much mandate what they want but the minute they do they are required to provide whatever that is and then immediately become liable if something occurs because of said mandate.

It's one reason you don't see normal businesses requiring it, because if something does happen they are screwed. Not only that but because of the laws the business can't turn around and sue the pharmaceutical companies to recoup that.

No one is forcing anyone to play for the NFL. If you don't want to follow their rules then you have the option to stay home and work for a company that doesn't require it.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Man you really need to go do some research on how vaccines actually work. Do the work yourself and don't pull the info from Facebook or wherever you got that terrible insight.

Harris said 8 months ago not to trust the vaccine? Really? You need to go read the real quote and not whatever version you pulled it from. Come on man. Do the work.
Understanding How COVID-19 Vaccines Work
COVID-19 vaccines help our bodies develop immunity to the virus that causes COVID-19 without us having to get the illness.
Poilo vaccine prevents someone from getting or transmitting Polio

Harris saying not to trust the vaccine
Harris on taking a COVID vaccine: If Trump tells us to take it, I won't
Door to door forced vaccinations

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
Censorship of free Speech
Biden administration's admission they're flagging content to Facebook sparks furor

if you volunteer to give up your rights to a Authoritative government that’s fine with me my issue is they take my rights by force

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Nice. Dont even include the denominator of how many unvaccinated have died. You may have had a 99+% chance of "surviving" back last year but with the delta variant you do not have a 99%+ chance of not being hospitalized, ending up in a vent, dying, or having long term complications.

What does it do, you ask? The vaccine does make your chances of not getting sick and not ending up on a vent/dying VANISHINGLY small. Try reading some non biased news. The numbers are pretty impressive. Nowadays about 99.5% of all COVID deaths are in the unvaccinated. Almost all hospitalized COVID patients are unvaccinated.

Look at Canada, where vaccine acceptance is widespread... COVID numbers continue to drop whereas they are spiking down here and it's still summer.

If you refuse to see the benefit of vaccination, it's because you choose not to see it.

Best analogy I have is the vaccine isnt a force field but it is a bullet proof vest. If you get shot you will feel something and might be a little sore but you wont get penetrated by a bullet.

More cases of vaccinated get it vs unvaccinated.

Question if I do not have COVID why should I wear a mask?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Understanding How COVID-19 Vaccines Work

Poilo vaccine prevents someone from getting or transmitting Polio

Harris saying not to trust the vaccine
Harris on taking a COVID vaccine: If Trump tells us to take it, I won't
Door to door forced vaccinations

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
Censorship of free Speech
Biden administration's admission they're flagging content to Facebook sparks furor

if you volunteer to give up your rights to a Authoritative government that’s fine with me my issue is they take my rights by force

Stop. This is a bullshit smokescreen obscuring the real issue. Blah blah authoritarian blah blah Kamala Harriss blag blah....

None of that has anything to do with the actual issue. The actual issue is if you have a functioning brain and actually talk to your doctor about this there is no logic or reason for NOT taking the vaccine in the absence of a medical contraindication. None.

Yes, I concede that you have the RIGHT to be a stubborn dumbass. But having that right doesnt change the fact that you are not choosing to go unvaccinated because of logic, reason or science... you are choosing to do so IN SPITE of that, which, makes you a selfish dumbass.

Reactions: bdub24 and LCPreds

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
This country has a significant number of people who are being willfully stupid. For Gods sake piddly ass Owensboro KY had almost as many new cases as the entire province of Ontario the other day. Why? Because Canadians arent acting like idiots. They suffered quite a bit because their government didnt get them enough doses of vaccine initially but now that they have enough they are approaching 80% vaccinated and lo and behold COVID is disappearing up there. But we will never reach herd immunity any time soon because of a bunch of hardheaded morons.

And if all that happened was that the imbeciles got COVID I wouldnt be so upset. But as of right now these bastards are endangering my children, oth from the standpoint of being at risk for COVID and they are also screwing up my kids education. So screw them. If they dont want to be "prodded" they can get their heads our of their asses and do the right thing. Yes of course people have the freedom to choose not to do something that is logical, reasonable and even life saving... and I have the right to call them our for their stupidity and selfishness.
The major difference is the mindset of Canadians, and alot of that goes back to the differences in how the countries were formed and who went where. Both countries also have entirely different medical structures as well which also plays some part in it I'm sure.

I also can't emphasize it enough but people simply don't trust the government anymore. Right or left that has universally become the case in the US. You see the same factor pop up in other areas as well, not just this topic.

A good example is a statement I heard from Dave Chapelle in an interview fairly recently. He said the reason higher taxes and universal Healthcare works in some European countries is because those people genuinely feel like they are getting something for their money. No one feels that would be the case with the US government. If they did you would see a much broader willingness to do those things.

I mean you can point the finger and blame the " idiots ", I get it. At the same time though I'm pointing a finger at the federal government because their previous schemes are what has driven alot of it. Perfect example is the African American community and why they have resisted it so much. It's due to past events where they were used as essentially human test beds without their knowledge.

People simply don't trust the government and after the opiod issues they sure as heck don't trust the pharmaceutical companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad