OT: COVID-19 Megathread III (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Just saw on the news that there have been 29 severe allergic reactions reported so far. Now, that sounds scary but it's out of 5,000,000 vaccinations given. If you don't have a history of severe allergic reaction like anaphylaxis, you should be okay.

My wife is one of those people and likely won't get the vaccination because of it, and that, along with children who can't get it, makes it more important for people who are able to get the vaccination to actually get it.

edit: When it's available to you, which is another situation...

Reactions: predfan98

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Just saw on the news that there have been 29 severe allergic reactions reported so far. Now, that sounds scary but it's out of 5,000,000 vaccinations given. If you don't have a history of severe allergic reaction like anaphylaxis, you should be okay.

My wife is one of those people and likely won't get the vaccination because of it, and that, along with children who can't get it, makes it more important for people who are able to get the vaccination to actually get it.

edit: When it's available to you, which is another situation...
I read about that. I do have a history of anaphylaxis, came pretty close to dying from it in 1987 after eating lobster. Over time I've come to the conclusion that it was THAT lobster (which tasted off) and not all lobsters since I have eaten shellfish of other types with no problems. But to err on the side of caution I don't eat it. I've also had milder reactions to brazil nuts--just cause my lips to itch and swell. Hey doctors, do I need to mention this to them?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I read about that. I do have a history of anaphylaxis, came pretty close to dying from it in 1987 after eating lobster. Over time I've come to the conclusion that it was THAT lobster (which tasted off) and not all lobsters since I have eaten shellfish of other types with no problems. But to err on the side of caution I don't eat it. I've also had milder reactions to brazil nuts--just cause my lips to itch and swell. Hey doctors, do I need to mention this to them?
More information is never a bad thing to give them. Sure as heck beats ending up in a hospital.

Reactions: Adz

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Just tested positive for COVID today. In the beginning of the week, I was showing pretty strong symptoms for a guy my age (23) and my health, high fever which drained the energy from me, a severe headache and the losing of the sense of smell and taste. Because of the headache, I was also feeling nauseous for a few days.

It's going better now, but for a few days there all I could do was just lay in bed. I'm quarantined for the next 10 days, fortunately I can work and study from home.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
More information is never a bad thing to give them. Sure as heck beats ending up in a hospital.
True, but I don't want to be told I can't get it because of something that happened 34 years ago, too. I can err on the side of caution but I'm not sure I want them to. Ha!

I'll think about it. I have a while before my number is called, anyway. I did a Davidson County Tennessee-centric online thing to determine where I'd fall and it determined I would be eligible when my age range came up. I have "risk factors" but they're not enough of a big deal to bump me up. Good in the long run, of course.

Scoresberg, hope you feel better soon!

Reactions: Scoresberg

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Pfizer. Feel more poopy today than I did with the last one, but apparently that's expected

I have heard the same from both vaccines. It also makes sense that you have a stronger immune response to the second introduction based on your body having a glance at the virus and knowing how to prepare itself...at least in it's own automated way.

Edit: errghhh.... I mean double the micro chips, double the fun, I got COVID from the vaccine!!

Last edited:
Reactions: bdub24 and PredsV82

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Just tested positive for COVID today. In the beginning of the week, I was showing pretty strong symptoms for a guy my age (23) and my health, high fever which drained the energy from me, a severe headache and the losing of the sense of smell and taste. Because of the headache, I was also feeling nauseous for a few days.

It's going better now, but for a few days there all I could do was just lay in bed. I'm quarantined for the next 10 days, fortunately I can work and study from home.

And you can't spread it as a computer virus.

Get well soon!

Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Lol haven’t even dropped the puck and COVID has already caused disruption.

Dallas Stars push season opener due to COVID-19
Would people really have been mad if the NHL had made a private purchase of 10,000 doses of vaccine, and basically gave everybody their first shot when they reported to town, and their second one a week or two into the season or whatever it would take? :dunno:

I admit I was going to stay home anyway, hockey on the screen or no hockey on the screen. But I can still see an argument for it not being a bad thing to have some of these things running smoothly as another form of pandemic mitigation.

Reactions: LCPreds

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Would people really have been mad if the NHL had made a private purchase of 10,000 doses of vaccine, ***********.

There are lots of folks who need the vaccine more than multi million dollar athletes. I get the trickle down economic effect of having the league play, and not all the benefits go to those athletes and the much wealthier owners, but it reeks of elite that are always the first in line.

I'm jonesin' for NHL too, but I could live with an off year too. We lived through lockouts and we can live though a pandemic off year.

Reactions: predfan98

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
There are lots of folks who need the vaccine more than multi million dollar athletes. I get the trickle down economic effect of having the league play, and not all the benefits go to those athletes and the much wealthier owners, but it reeks of elite that are always the first in line.

I'm jonesin' for NHL too, but I could live with an off year too. We lived through lockouts and we can live though a pandemic off year.
So what I'm thinking is there isn't really "a line", per se. Oh sure, maybe there is if you are waiting to receive from the government stock at some level via your local health care provider. But those contracts are already in place and those lines are already formed. And still the vaccine manufacturers have stock sitting in their warehouses. Or is that incorrect? There's in theory nothing wrong with phoning them up and signing a contract to buy some vaccine via private contract? I know in December there were news articles to the effect that that was precisely what the NHL was planning to do. But then they backed off, I presume due to a perception of bad PR.

And I think the benefits aren't necessarily so much economic, as straight to the pandemic spread mitigation bottom line... get people to sit home watching sports on TV, even for those few hours a few times a week, rather than wandering around the streets spreading Covid. Which they'll accomplish now anyway, even without the vaccine purchase, so it's perhaps moot (unless the NHL ends up shutting down). It also won't be long before everybody in the NHL has already had Covid too. It's gotta be over 50% on some teams by now, no? :dunno:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
MPHD creates 'Standby List' to ensure no COVID-19 vaccines go to waste

I signed up. I may get spam mail from the Department of Health for the rest of my life but I'll take that chance. I think it's a good move to try to avoid wasting doses.

I posted on the main board COVID-19 topic about hospital administrators getting shots in Milwaukee before frontline workers because the lottery picked workers were refusing the shots at about a 50% rate, so that people down the list are getting them so they don't go to waste.

It ignited about 2 pages of responses from people going back and forth over various issues. That wasn't what I expected for reporting the truth in my little corner of the planet.

Good for you Adz!

I am not in an eligible group as yet, for a shot. I just try to avoid going out in public.

I heard on the news today that the planet passed 2 million COVID-19 deaths.

The Spanish Flu of 1918-1920 is estimated at killing 50 million people, with 675,000 in the US. I am praying that we don't repeat that disaster.

When I was in high school (during the Swine Flu), my grandmother told me that her 21 year old healthy next door neighbor got sick and he was dead two days later. Coffins were stacked up in church basements because the ground was frozen and people were dying faster than they could be buried. (The refrigeration trucks on the TV news remind me of that.)

Things can get even worse. Please be careful and try to be nice to people!

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I am not in an eligible group as yet, for a shot. I just try to avoid going out in public.
I'm not, either. From everything I've read my health issues are not bad enough to bump me up (I see that as a good thing) so I'll be eligible when my age rolls around. Looks like March or April, if they get enough vaccines in.

My mother (age 87) travels back and forth to Alabama and while down there she was able to get on a list to have her first vaccine done at her doctor's office next week, then the second dose on Feb. 8. This is going to be a huge load off my sister's mind as Mama lives with her when she's not in AL. Sis has been super super careful. Don't know that I could have been as diligent in my own house, but she's done a great job. Having it done in familiar surroundings will be helpful to Mama, too. She's tiny and nervous (I got my dad's genes so I'm fluffy and serene--ha!)

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Yesterday on that Doctors show, they were talking to a lady that was billed $3100 for a drive up COVID test. You guys want to know why I don't trust hospitals with numbers, stuff like this is why. We spent so much time and effort on health care cost by going after the insurance companies when the one of the biggest problems is providers over charging.
I hope they do something about up front pricing, and/or complete up front transparency. I'd also like to see less advertising for prescriptions, dtc advertising has gotten out of hand and is really driving up the cost of prescription medicine.

Reactions: adsfan

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
My mother got her first vaccination today. Definitely glad about it. Her second one is for Feb. 8, I believe my sister told me. Having her in the fully vaccinated group will be a big load off our minds! As an update, the Preds fan I mentioned a month or so back has been moved to a recovery house so that's also good news. She's still pretty sick but looks like she will live.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Looks like the situation is improving significantly in TN. Daily tests and cases are down from the holiday period highs. That's tough to extrapolate much info from. However, hospitalizations are down almost 700 from the high of nearly 3500 right after the New Year, and the percent positive of tests is showing a clear trajectory downward. With vaccinations ramping up hopefully this is the beginning of the end.

https://covidtracking.com/data/charts/all-metrics-per-state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad