OT: COVID-19 Megathread III (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Well not really Covid related but my mother in laws cancer has spread and they are just waiting on her doctor to review things so they can send her home with hospice. My sister in law has been admitted at the same time due to an ongoing foot condition ( two hack job surgeries in the past may cost her that foot ).

Packed my wife up late Saturday to head to her moms after begging her to wait til the morning and my parents would take her. She just had to go and proceeded to run over the stop sign in the neighborhood, crack the front bumper and put a hole in it. Luckily it seems to just be all cosmetic.

On top of that I had a tooth filled last week and have had a bump come up where they injected the local anesthesia, which I kind of think now that he must of hit a blood vessel. No real major pain, more annoying than anything, kind of like a canker sore. Doesn't seem to be getting worse, but isn't getting better either so I'll call about that in the morning.

Not really a religious guy, but if you do that prayer thing I could probably use some right about now.

I'm sorry about your mother in law. Cancer is a real bitch. Took my sister in her early 30s. f*** cancer

Reactions: Armourboy

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Numbers have spiked so badly here that the schools are shut down again, virtual learning only, which does jack squat nothing for my son with autism... gonna be a looooong winter unless the vaccine drops soon

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Numbers have spiked so badly here that the schools are shut down again, virtual learning only, which does jack squat nothing for my son with autism... gonna be a looooong winter unless the vaccine drops soon

When would teachers and students be in line for the vaccine? I know frontline health workers will be first, but what kind of priority order are we looking at after that?

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
CDC says wearing a mask protects both you and everyone around you

CDC now finally agrees that masks protect the wearer as well. I've been saying this all along as the initial thought was you needed an N95 because it was better than a surgical mask, but there are studies on record that show the surgical mask protected medical workers from airborne infection just as well as N95. Keywords there being that the protected the workers and no significant difference. The real key to effectiveness is wearing the properly.

Here's a recap article, you can check out any of the studies referenced in it for the minutiae...

N95 Masks vs. Surgical Masks: Which Is Better at Preventing the Coronavirus? – Smart Air

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Healthcare workers
Elderly
high risk
Police and emergency workers
Teachers

is what I heard

That makes sense although there are a lot of "high risk" people including teachers so they will get theirs pretty early too

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
FWIW I just took a survey from my organization asking if I wanted to take the vaccine when it becomes available(uh, yeah) and then I gave them my health info. Nothing definite on when it would be ready but they are going to go ahead and stratify us so when it's ready it will go to those who "need" it most first

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
FWIW I just took a survey from my organization asking if I wanted to take the vaccine when it becomes available(uh, yeah) and then I gave them my health info. Nothing definite on when it would be ready but they are going to go ahead and stratify us so when it's ready it will go to those who "need" it most first
I read that after you've received it you feel like the worst hangover ever, so if they give you a choice try to schedule it when you have an off day upcoming.

Since people have to take two injections with time in between, they're also trying to work out how to make sure everyone remembers the second one and also that they get the same type. Lots of logistics involved! But I'll be in line when I get the chance. Thinking about the risk categories, I'll probably fall somewhere in the middle of the queue.

Reactions: PredsV82

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Friend of friend posted this on FB ... She works at Ballad Health and previously the Tn Dept of Health.

"233 patients. Today I left our command center and I sat alone in my car for a few minutes and cried.

As we break records day over day, I no longer know what it will take to convince our community, our region, and our state to change behavior. We can beg, plead, or mandate, and it seems I hear so many say they will not change their behavior. I’m not asking you to live in fear. I’m asking for your help.

I’m not looking for thanks or pity or glory. I’m simply sharing that we have reached a point in this pandemic that I prayed we would never reach. We are surging with no end in sight. And I don’t know what to do or say to help.
So what I say to the ones who do ask what they can do for healthcare workers. Well, here’s my list. To be clear, this is MY personal list from my personal thoughts:

• Pray for us. From the leaders and administration facing extremely difficult decisions, to the front line staff that just keep on giving when there’s nothing left to give, to the support departments that run the labs and fix the meals and clean the rooms...we’re tired. And sad. And wondering when it will end.
• Stay home. Just stay home. Stop going to restaurants. Order take out, but the science is there to show that dining in restaurants is a significant contributor to this pandemic. I’m not anti-economy or anti-business. Support those businesses. Order take out. Lord knows my family has ordered take out more than we ever have because I’m simply too tired to cook most nights.
• If your Thanksgiving plans involve anyone outside of your house, cancel them. We did. I don’t want to risk someone in my family being asymptomatic and spreading it to my parents or grandmother.
• Wear the mask. Any time you’re out. And wear it correctly.
This post is not up for debate. It’s where I am today. Comments spreading false information or attacks will be deleted. I’m not up for that today."

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't know about the restraunt thing. It's my understanding that they have only tracked one spreader event in Nashville to a restaurant and that was months ago and I believe it was 15 people. Now bars apparently are a completely different story which is why they have been treated differently.

When it comes to masks it varies greatly depending on where you are. Here is Shelbyville I'd say its 50/50 depending on where you are, but things haven't been to bad here. Went to Murfreesboro last night and didn't see a single person without one, myself included.

When it comes to Thanksgiving I think that needs to be left up to individual families. If there is a year where we need family and a time to give thanks its this one. If she makes it that long, this will be the last Thanksgiving my wife will have with her mother, so I will drive to Ohio to be there. The family will be together because the family needs to be together. There is no discussion to be had on that one, especially from someone outside the family.

Reactions: triggrman

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
hqdefault.jpg.cf.jpg

Reactions: bdub24

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I don't know about the restraunt thing. It's my understanding that they have only tracked one spreader event in Nashville to a restaurant and that was months ago and I believe it was 15 people. Now bars apparently are a completely different story which is why they have been treated differently.

When it comes to masks it varies greatly depending on where you are. Here is Shelbyville I'd say its 50/50 depending on where you are, but things haven't been to bad here. Went to Murfreesboro last night and didn't see a single person without one, myself included.

When it comes to Thanksgiving I think that needs to be left up to individual families. If there is a year where we need family and a time to give thanks its this one. If she makes it that long, this will be the last Thanksgiving my wife will have with her mother, so I will drive to Ohio to be there. The family will be together because the family needs to be together. There is no discussion to be had on that one, especially from someone outside the family.
Those where you know it's the last one are so bittersweet. Virtual hugs! I've been there.

Reactions: Armourboy

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
My parents and I were officially released from our Covid quarantine/isolation this weekend.

My parents both got it first. My mom started to feel bad one Friday in October. My dad started to feel bad that next Sunday. Monday my mom went to the doctor and she was tested. Tuesday she was confirmed positive. My dad got tested Wednesday, confirmed positive on Thursday.

Because I was around them I was exposed, but never developed any symptoms. The health Dept said I didn't need to get tested unless I developed symptoms. I got a cough a few days later but never any sore throat/fever/chills/aches. About a week later I lost my sense of smell.

Before I developed anything I was doing all the cooking and cleaning so they could stay in their isolated rooms. It was like trying to keep kids in their rooms, "I'm bored", "I'm hungry", "I have to go to the bathroom." Everyday and multiple times a day I was spraying Lysol behind everyone, using wipes on every surface and object that was touched.

I didn't know that the health Dept would be calling almost every day. Somehow they screwed up the dates of my mom's case and kept trying to tell her that her symptoms started a week after she tested positive! They kept calling me Alicia, after I told them every day no, it's Lisa.

Anyway, I still have a little bit of a cough and my sense of smell is slowly coming back. I was judging by whether I could smell nail polish remover. I could not for a while then one day I opened the bottle, took a whiff and WHOA there it was!

But as of today we are all doing well! :handclap:

Please just wear a mask. I don't care if you are the only person wearing one in a crowd, just wear it.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
My parents and I were officially released from our Covid quarantine/isolation this weekend.

They kept calling me Alicia, after I told them every day no, it's Lisa.

But as of today we are all doing well! :handclap:

Please just wear a mask. I don't care if you are the only person wearing one in a crowd, just wear it.

Great first name you have there!

Glad you're all better.

Reactions: sparkle twin

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
ahhh, you may be correct.
I was awoken from my off-season slumber by the reference to me and my daughter.

No, it wasn’t me and “Ally from Brentwood”. That 13-year-old kid-girl-regular-caller-into-Willy’s-post-game-show in the early years is now a 35-year-old mother of two and a nurse at Vandy’s Pediatric ICU. I miss the call-in-show era. Felt more personal. We remain good friends with Willy and unlike some, think Willy is a great play-by-Play guy cuz he’s been with us when it wasn’t cool. His historical knowledge of Pred-dom and his all-around sports knowledge makes him fun to listen. He’s also a great guy who bleeds Pred Gold.

It’s been relaxing, staying away from this thread. I regret getting emotionally involved earlier this year. The COVID response, and the political world in general, continue to frustrate me but I can’t make the world right so I’d rather wait until we can sound off about real hockey. I’ve managed to stay COVID free while living a quasi-normal life. I flipped Cuomo and de Blazio the bird a few months ago and drove 15 hours to NY to see my 90 year old mom, who lives alone and got tired of living to not die. Snuck in, stayed 4 days, and snuck out. Thankfully, nobody got sick and my mom was so grateful for the company.

I’m mourning the apparent Trump lose and what’s to come. I now fear that 2021 will be shot and “health justice” will make mask wearing in crowds permanent. Oh the humanity.

I fear another NHL season with no real home games with crowds. The league may never recover. After a while, people get out of the groove and find other things to do. I think they are whistling past the Financial Graveyard. Just more carnage in the name of not-dying. I wear my friggin’ mask everywhere, like a good subject, even though I believe it’s useless. I’d wear a Hazmat Suit if they’d let me and 17,113 of my dearest friends watch a hockey game at Bridgestone in a Saturday night. But alas ...

Best new thang lately is Sports betting in TN. Joined MGM, Fan Dual, and Draftkings and have been leveraging every promo out there. I was in on that ridiculous Vandy cover bet Saturday. 17.5 point dig to KY, bet Vandy and for every 250 peeps who make the same bet, spread increases 1 point. Last I checked a few hours b4 game time the spread was 72.5. Don’t know how high it got but Vandy only lost 3. Easiest $45 ever. Really have fun betting these games. Was also in on the crazy Derrick Henry prop bet the other night. Henry needed to gain 6+ yards in the 1st Quarter. Easy enough, right? Accept Titans kept throwing it and Derrick ran for 3 and then lost 4. Titans got the ball with 30 secs left in the quarter, handed to Derrick, who ripped off 8 yards up the middle for the win!!! I’m hooked.

Well, I’ll return into my hole now. Still love reading this and other threads to stay somewhat engaged. Miss being normal.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
When I started posting on the boards my daughter (now 33) was 15 and my son (30!) was 12--and I lurked for YEARS before that. My grandchild is now the same age Goalie Boy was, though of course I'm still the same age. Funny how that works out, huh?

I remember hearing Ally from Brentwood on the drives home. There was also a Rangers fan-- may have been you since you have NY ties, @ILikeItILoveIt , but the mind is fuzzy on that one.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Three of the highest one day new cases in Tennessee have been in the last 8 days. With a new record today.
11/9/20 - 5919 new cases
11/15/20 - 5817 new cases
11/16/20 - 7951 new cases

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
If the vaccines are as effective as they have been publicized and people will get their heads out of their asses and take the damn thing we have a real chance at things getting back to "normal" by next summer. Hockey is gonna have to fudge it with limited seating for this coming year although they might be in good enough shape to have full crowds for a summer playoffs.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
If the vaccines are as effective as they have been publicized and people will get their heads out of their asses and take the damn thing we have a real chance at things getting back to "normal" by next summer. Hockey is gonna have to fudge it with limited seating for this coming year although they might be in good enough shape to have full crowds for a summer playoffs.

Perhaps the one silver lining coming out of this whole thing will be a new respect for vaccines for those people who have previously regarded them as unnecessary or worse. I don't say this with any political slant, as I am a stout conservative. I say this as a man who lives in the 21st century and can point to empirical evidence that vaccines cure disease and save lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad