OT: COVID-19 Megathread III (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Been looking more into the vitamin D stuff. Why is this not being recommended? It seems is likely as effective as mask wearing.

You cant compare vit d to mask wearing. Mask wearing is preventative. Vit D helps you fight it off if you get it. I suspect it's not being pushed more because unlike vitamin C which doesnt really hurt you if taken in excess, vitamin d overdose can cause serious problems.

That said, I am taking a Zinc supplement and a vit D supplement

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
You cant compare vit d to mask wearing. Mask wearing is preventative. Vit D helps you fight it off if you get it. I suspect it's not being pushed more because unlike vitamin C which doesnt really hurt you if taken in excess, vitamin d overdose can cause serious problems.

That said, I am taking a Zinc supplement and a vit D supplement
But taking a daily normal dosage isn't going to make you overdose. Just be smart, don't take excessive amounts. Also the report I read said it could also fight it off.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well not really Covid related but my mother in laws cancer has spread and they are just waiting on her doctor to review things so they can send her home with hospice. My sister in law has been admitted at the same time due to an ongoing foot condition ( two hack job surgeries in the past may cost her that foot ).

Packed my wife up late Saturday to head to her moms after begging her to wait til the morning and my parents would take her. She just had to go and proceeded to run over the stop sign in the neighborhood, crack the front bumper and put a hole in it. Luckily it seems to just be all cosmetic.

On top of that I had a tooth filled last week and have had a bump come up where they injected the local anesthesia, which I kind of think now that he must of hit a blood vessel. No real major pain, more annoying than anything, kind of like a canker sore. Doesn't seem to be getting worse, but isn't getting better either so I'll call about that in the morning.

Not really a religious guy, but if you do that prayer thing I could probably use some right about now.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Well not really Covid related but my mother in laws cancer has spread and they are just waiting on her doctor to review things so they can send her home with hospice. My sister in law has been admitted at the same time due to an ongoing foot condition ( two hack job surgeries in the past may cost her that foot ).

Packed my wife up late Saturday to head to her moms after begging her to wait til the morning and my parents would take her. She just had to go and proceeded to run over the stop sign in the neighborhood, crack the front bumper and put a hole in it. Luckily it seems to just be all cosmetic.

On top of that I had a tooth filled last week and have had a bump come up where they injected the local anesthesia, which I kind of think now that he must of hit a blood vessel. No real major pain, more annoying than anything, kind of like a canker sore. Doesn't seem to be getting worse, but isn't getting better either so I'll call about that in the morning.

Not really a religious guy, but if you do that prayer thing I could probably use some right about now.
I am, I do, and I will.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
But taking a daily normal dosage isn't going to make you overdose. Just be smart, don't take excessive amounts. Also the report I read said it could also fight it off.
you and all the reasonable people could be trusted to dose appropriately I'm sure. I dont know why it hasnt become a recommendation. And "fight off" versus "prevent" is just semantics. Masks prevent exposure, vit D may keep you from developing symptoms once exposed. Same result, you dont get sick, but different mechanism

Reactions: triggrman

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What does 90% really mean, I wonder? I admit to being too lazy to go off on a lengthier Google hunt. I skimmed one news article that said 94 people in a study of 44,000 got Covid. (How, we don't know.) Of those 94, only 9 of them were people who had received the necessary 2 doses of the vaccine.

So... that means the vaccine is 90% effective since 85/94 = 90% of the people who got Covid weren't part of the study population who got the vaccine? :skeptic:

And also where "got Covid" means they got positive tests AND were symptomatic. (Nothing said about potential asymptomatic cases).

I guess the data isn't released yet, but that seems like a weird way to interpret the efficacity, which might just be the author of that news article getting it wrong?
:huh:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN

Wow, Armour and family, you got more than your share of woes for sure. Positive vibes and a couple of prayers, too.

As for the Vitamin D, one of my docs has me on a pretty large dose (not ridiculous) every day. I can't remember now if it's for the pre-diabetes or the thyroid issues, to be honest--they both check it whenever I see them so I guess they both think they originally told me to take it.

Apparently O Blood types are more resistant to covid, as well. I'm O negative (not sure if + or - makes a difference) so hopefully I can stave off the covid forever. Possible Link Between Blood Type and COVID-19 - Hematology.org

Reactions: Armourboy

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Over 2000 people in Wisconsin hospitalized with COVID-19, over of them 400 in the ICU.

About 2 months ago, it was about 250 people in the entire state in the hospital with COVID-19.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land

Wishing you and your strength and mercy and peace. That is a lot of weight.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Not sure if its a true interpretation or not ( at this point it's hard to believe much of anything) but supposedly buried in a CDC report is a section that says that they reported that 80%+ of those that said they wore masks still got Covid.

I don't have time atm to fact check it for obvious reasons but if someone wants to take a stab at it it would be appreciated. Also means I can ignore another source.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Not sure if its a true interpretation or not ( at this point it's hard to believe much of anything) but supposedly buried in a CDC report is a section that says that they reported that 80%+ of those that said they wore masks still got Covid.

I don't have time atm to fact check it for obvious reasons but if someone wants to take a stab at it it would be appreciated. Also means I can ignore another source.
I can't believe anybody after 8 months of this would still say something like that. Or at least how that sounds. Are you really trying to say that masks don't protect you from getting Covid, Armourboy? Really??? 'Cuz that's what it sounds like.

(I know... let him answer first please?)

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I can't believe anybody after 8 months of this would still say something like that. Or at least how that sounds. Are you really trying to say that masks don't protect you from getting Covid, Armourboy? Really??? 'Cuz that's what it sounds like.

I think some part of it is true in the sense that in a "vacuum" the masks would protect you from SPREADING the virus not from getting it yourself. But people tend to act a lot more loose when they wear masks, not practicing social distancing, touching each other and that's another way the virus can spread. Also, people are constantly touching their masks, taking them off and then putting them on again. That reduces their effectiveness by a lot.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

I day this again for clarity. Masks arent perfect. If someone with COVID, not wearing a mask, sneezes in your face, you wearing a mask wont protect you. But if that person had on a mask and you had in a mask, the risk is much less. The mask you wear protects everyone else from your droplets. Which is why masks are more effective if everyone wears them.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think some part of it is true in the sense that in a "vacuum" the masks would protect you from SPREADING the virus not from getting it yourself. But people tend to act a lot more loose when they wear masks, not practicing social distancing, touching each other and that's another way the virus can spread. Also, people are constantly touching their masks, taking them off and then putting them on again. That reduces their effectiveness by a lot.
If things were working perfectly, then 100% of people who get Covid would say that they were consistently and properly wearing a mask beforehand.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.

I remember some additional factor like they lived with an infected person or had very close contact ..... And none of them had N95 masks.

Best to you and your family.

Reactions: Armourboy

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Take a step back and reread that, its not what I am saying, it's what I heard was in a CDC report from another source.

I was essentially asking if anyone else had heard this or had run across it or if they had some free time and liked to dig to see if it was true or if there was some weird caveat to it.

If its true it has me wondering if the downturn we see in areas with a mask mandate are really from the mask themselves or is more that people are staying home more in those places.

I wear a mask pretty much anywhere that I'm going to be around more than a couple of people, especially if they aren't people I know.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Take a step back and reread that, its not what I am saying, it's what I heard was in a CDC report from another source.

I was essentially asking if anyone else had heard this or had run across it or if they had some free time and liked to dig to see if it was true or if there was some weird caveat to it.

If its true it has me wondering if the downturn we see in areas with a mask mandate are really from the mask themselves or is more that people are staying home more in those places.

I wear a mask pretty much anywhere that I'm going to be around more than a couple of people, especially if they aren't people I know.
I'm sure it is a combination of both. I'm mostly at home, seems like more til I think of the things I actually do get out for, but still, 80% home for sure. When I'm out I wear a mask, but I don't consider it protection for myself. It's to protect others from me. The only masks designed for your own protection are the N95's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad