COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I have been complaining about the slow reporting of test results for a long time now.

But a byproduct is that it makes tracing almost impossible. What good is it to warn people that five weeks ago may have come in contact with someone who tested positive? By then it is way too late to matter.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah Gov DeWine tested positive this morning with that tested and negative this afternoon with a different, supposedly more reliable test.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Yeah Gov DeWine tested positive this morning with that tested and negative this afternoon with a different, supposedly more reliable test.

I've been saying through most of this, that the data is corrupted and unreliable. Note I don't believe its nefarious or intentionally misleading
It's difficult to identify trends and establish counter measures when you have bad info.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I've been saying through most of this, that the data is corrupted and unreliable. Note I don't believe its nefarious or intentionally misleading
It's difficult to identify trends and establish counter measures when you have bad info.

Depends which tests he took in each case. Suspecting the first one was an abbott rapid that the WH is using for it's staff and anyone that is going to be around the president. Those have a higher false positive rate. The PCR that most people get is the opposite, higher false negative ... which to believe????

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Depends which tests he took in each case. Suspecting the first one was an abbott rapid that the WH is using for it's staff and anyone that is going to be around the president. Those have a higher false positive rate. The PCR that most people get is the opposite, higher false negative ... which to believe????

The more important question is: does his positive test get included as a "positive" in the aggregate collective data?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
That I'm not sure about. Depends on who was doing the testing. Was it his local office or WH? Where does it count? Do both the positive and negative count?

Multiple that scenario across hundreds of thousands and you start to question things altogether
Not saying this virus doesn't exist. But to what extent the infected and morality rates are representative should very much be called into question.

I'm not even sure how other countries are tracking either. So now you have a "millions" problem

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Multiple that scenario across hundreds of thousands and you start to question things altogether
Not saying this virus doesn't exist. But to what extent the infected and morality rates are representative should very much be called into question.

I'm not even sure how other countries are tracking either. So now you have a "millions" problem

Yes, because multiple "hundreds of thousands" are getting 2 tests, and results, all in the span of a day because they're meeting the president ...

Now do some "what ifs" on hospitalizations/ICU stays. We'll wait.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'll be getting take out from a location restaurant right before the Pens game. Nachos, wings if they have any, and a growler fill of beer.

But which place do I get it from? I love both of the places' nachos nearly equally. One place I know for sure has wings and their draft list online - a draft list I don't care too much for. The other place I'm not sure if they have wings, but I can add meat to the nachos. And their draft list isn't listed, but they've had some good choices when I've gone before.

What a conundrum.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
I'll be getting take out from a location restaurant right before the Pens game. Nachos, wings if they have any, and a growler fill of beer.

But which place do I get it from? I love both of the places' nachos nearly equally. One place I know for sure has wings and their draft list online - a draft list I don't care too much for. The other place I'm not sure if they have wings, but I can add meat to the nachos. And their draft list isn't listed, but they've had some good choices when I've gone before.

What a conundrum.

Order from both establishments. I'll be over 6:30pm to kick your stomach ala Kevin Spacey in Seven.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Order from both establishments. I'll be over 6:30pm to kick your stomach ala Kevin Spacey in Seven.

I went with the place that had chicken wings. Ate all the chicken wings, but wasn't able to eat all of the nachos. I left maybe an eighth of the nachos in the take out box.

Somehow, I've not had any of the beer yet.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@Andy99 . . . I don't think you're shutting it down fully for another 6 weeks, not unless (a) the virus stops following the pattern of hitting an area and petering out and (b) the mortality rates everywhere are like New York and New Jersey (which isn't even close to the case).

The other thing that gets me with articles like this is people like this were telling me 5 months ago 'flatten the curve so our medical system doesn't get overwhelmed' and, with that accomplished, now are saying 'shut it down until there's a vaccine'.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
@Andy99 . . . I don't think you're shutting it down fully for another 6 weeks, not unless (a) the virus stops following the pattern of hitting an area and petering out and (b) the mortality rates everywhere are like New York and New Jersey (which isn't even close to the case).

The other thing that gets me with articles like this is people like this were telling me 5 months ago was 'flatten the curve so our medical system doesn't get overwhelmed' and, with that accomplished now are saying 'shut it down until there's a vaccine'.

My take is that people learn more as this thing goes on and unfortunately blab about what they “know” early on and it turns out to be wrong...I personally think it’s too late to lockdown again, or at least in some areas...some have already come down in rates and it might not make that big of a difference...I don’t think one size fits every area in the US but yeah, like in SF, we never really opened back up much publicly but people were still having get togethers and spreading the virus, and it’s been shit here for a few weeks...if we had a more strict lockdown a few weeks ago we’d be in a lot better shape...I don’t think it’s going to work locking everything back down until January lol

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
My take is that people learn more as this thing goes on and unfortunately blab about what they “know” early on and it turns out to be wrong...I personally think it’s too late to lockdown again, or at least in some areas...some have already come down in rates and it might not make that big of a difference...I don’t think one size fits every area in the US but yeah, like in SF, we never really opened back up much publicly but people were still having get togethers and spreading the virus, and it’s been shit here for a few weeks...if we had a more strict lockdown a few weeks ago we’d be in a lot better shape...I don’t think it’s going to work locking everything back down until January lol

No, I think you hope as many people as possible are smart about following the guidelines, make sure the medical system isn't overwhelmed, and otherwise protect the most vulnerable and do isolated lockdowns when isolated hot spots flare up. It's a very imperfect solution, of course, that probably simultaneously is the least imperfect one.

Reactions: Andy99

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
You know, as someone who lost a parent to Alzheimer's, just had another diagnosed with dementia, and has memory/cognitive issues because of autoimmune shit...yeah. I'm gonna go sit in a corner for a year.

As soon as they started taking about neurological things related to Covid, I was done. Done-Done. At first it was strokes and then they kept adding. I know my family history and I’ll be fine being a hermit.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
A report came out yesterday showing countries with highest number of fatalities per 100,000 population we are 8th. The U.K. is first.

Being 1st is worse in this case. This is a race you want to lose.

Another stat showed that of countries with at least 50,000 cases, the US currently ranks 24th in fatality per case.

UK, Spain, France, Belgium, and yes, even Canada have higher per case death ratios.

I pulled this from NPR. It was the first site that came up when I googled for the stats.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... ase-count

Fordy

May 28, 2008
people should really consider not unquestioningly believing every time a brain dead reporter writes an article on a known but very rare side effect of viral illnesses as if it’s a brand new thing that only the new virus does and it happens to everyone and you’ll all die!!!!!!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
people should really consider not unquestioningly believing every time a brain dead reporter writes an article on a known but very rare side effect of viral illnesses as if it’s a brand new thing that only the new virus does and it happens to everyone and you’ll all die!!!!!!

You had me at:

people should really consider not unquestioningly believing every time a brain dead reporter writes an article.

Reactions: KIRK

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
A report came out yesterday showing countries with highest number of fatalities per 100,000 population we are 8th. The U.K. is first.

Being 1st is worse in this case. This is a race you want to lose.

Another stat showed that of countries with at least 50,000 cases, the US currently ranks 24th in fatality per case.

UK, Spain, France, Belgium, and yes, even Canada have higher per case death ratios.

I pulled this from NPR. It was the first site that came up when I googled for the stats.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... ase-count

But we keep getting told all those countries beat the virus! :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad