COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I have zero questions that the US has made mistakes in this. At all levels of governmental and personal responsibility and decision making.

However, I have been to Europe, read reporting about various countries for decades, and know that for as many selfish self centered idiots that we have here. there are as many in other countries as well.

This America's is uniquely bad narrative is ridiculous. There simply are a certain segment of humans who can be counted on not to be counted on.
Maybe we don't have the market cornered on ignorance? Didn't the the theory that 5G networks spread the virus originate in the UK? We still lead the pack, though. A June Pew Research study revealed 25% of Americans believe that powerful people planned and deployed the COVID-19 virus including 37% of those identifying as conservative. That's a pretty big segment.

The governor of Georgia is suing the mayor of Atlanta for issuing mandatory mask rules. Got any European anecdotes of equal manifest ignorance?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Maybe we don't have the market cornered on ignorance? Didn't the the theory that 5G networks spread the virus originate in the UK? We still lead the pack, though. A June Pew Research study revealed 25% of Americans believe that powerful people planned and deployed the COVID-19 virus including 37% of those identifying as conservative. That's a pretty big segment.

The governor of Georgia is suing the mayor of Atlanta for issuing mandatory mask rules. Got any European anecdotes of equal manifest ignorance?

That's not even in the ballpark of the nuttiest theories ... we have a large segment of the population that believes JFK Jr. is still alive, Tom Hanks is a cannibal, and that the Clinton's have been secretly executed and their executions will be unveiled on PPV in the near future. And that's just one overall conspiracy theory.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
That's not even in the ballpark of the nuttiest theories ... we have a large segment of the population that believes JFK Jr. is still alive, Tom Hanks is a cannibal, and that the Clinton's have been secretly executed and their executions will be unveiled on PPV in the near future. And that's just one overall conspiracy theory.
We have members on HF Penguins who believe that.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Talk about moving the goal posts when it comes to flattening the curve. Yikes.

If you only have 4 cases wouldn't it make sense to completely kill the spread than to have to deal with 100s or 1000s of cases later?

A short sacrifice to prevent long term consequences, they have the opportunity to stamp it out. Remember when the US had 15 cases, which was soon going to be 0? Instead they ended up with 5,000,000.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
A significant percentage of jobs in this country don't produce wealth (sales, marketing, middle management). These jobs, however, would actually contribute to society.
sales, marketing, do or atleast they help. middle maagement is more like 25% good, and 75% are just blood suckers

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Another indication that we are getting close to the goal of a vaccine by the end of the year.

Is Moderna the company that has never actually brought a product to market, and is basing it's work on an entirely new tech that hasn't produced a vaccine yet?

Not being snarky, just too many vaccine candidates/companies to keep track of.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Is Moderna the company that has never actually brought a product to market, and is basing it's work on an entirely new tech that hasn't produced a vaccine yet?

hey woah let's not question the safety of an experimental vaccine if it was made in this country, that would be irresponsible

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
If you only have 4 cases wouldn't it make sense to completely kill the spread than to have to deal with 100s or 1000s of cases later?

A short sacrifice to prevent long term consequences, they have the opportunity to stamp it out. Remember when the US had 15 cases, which was soon going to be 0? Instead they ended up with 5,000,000.

Should that be done with every illness that can be spread from person-to-person then? Because you're going to end up hurting more people than the virus does with that kind of thinking.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yes, but that's more "mRNA vaccines are a new groundbreaking way to make vaccines" than "Moderna has no credibility for making vaccines".

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Isn't that xenophobic to not allow people to come into your country?

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Isn't that xenophobic to not allow people to come into your country?

I'm pretty sure you're just trolling a little on this, but I'm going to respond to the point anyway.

One silver lining about COVID is it makes it clear who the mindless partisans are. Aggressive border controls, social distancing, and masks are working. Each of those strategies seem to get certain groups very mad because they conflict with things those groups like.

People on board with all 3 are staying on my list of serious people worth listening to. People that are not on board with all three are going on my real life ignore list.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure you're just trolling a little on this, but I'm going to respond to the point anyway.

One silver lining about COVID is it makes it clear who the mindless partisans are. Aggressive border controls, social distancing, and masks are working. Each of those strategies seem to get certain groups very mad because they conflict with things those groups like.

People on board with all 3 are staying on my list of serious people worth listening to. People that are not on board with all three are going on my real life ignore list.

I think we somewhat agree here. I believe one of the silver linings to this pandemic is that people are becoming more aware of differing perspectives- that their way of thinking perhaps could use some re-evaluation

Or maybe I'm just an optimist...

Reactions: Sideline

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
You support utilitarianism measures where the greater good trumps personal rights?

Not meant to come across as snarky. Just curious to your position

If I lived in New Zealand I would absolutely support their current measures. They have 4 known cases after 102 days of no new cases, if they can prevent those from 4 causing outbreaks they can enjoy a more normal life soon after, unlike the US which will be plagued by this until a vaccine exists.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad