COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
A report came out yesterday showing countries with highest number of fatalities per 100,000 population we are 8th. The U.K. is first.

Being 1st is worse in this case. This is a race you want to lose.

Another stat showed that of countries with at least 50,000 cases, the US currently ranks 24th in fatality per case.

UK, Spain, France, Belgium, and yes, even Canada have higher per case death ratios.

I pulled this from NPR. It was the first site that came up when I googled for the stats.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... ase-count
We've been quoting the Johns Hopkins stat on this thread for months now. US generally ranks between #6 and #8 in mortality/100,000. Call me a cynic, but I think that our response is beyond pathetic.

I live essentially half way between Seattle and Vancouver, BC, 30 miles south of the border. 50% of Vancouver's population is Asian. Shitloads of Asian flights land every day at YVR with Chinese and East Asian travelers. Yet Canada has enjoyed less than 50% of the morbidity and mortality compared with the US. BC is similar in population to Massachusetts and for every SINGLE person in BC who has died, 44 have died in Mass. Want a hint why? Testing rates in Canada has been 5 times that of the US, and they've had a unified answer, while we jabber about masks and freaking "liberty". On July 30th, the US reported almost 60,000 new COVID cases; the same day British Columbia reported 5.

This is the story, regardless of what obfuscation one choses to feel better:
JH.jpg

Attachments

• JH.jpg
    JH.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 0

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just have so many questions about data, consistency in reporting, etc. And i want to stress beyond any doubt - I know the severity in this pandemic. I do not want to come off as i'm downplaying it. Hell.. i've stayed in "Red" phase the whole time. So if there is any question on how serious i take it. Especially with my scenario.

But I want to know a few things
- What are the flu stats YTD? (Deaths) Are we combining covid/flu? Are we separating and HOW are we separating?
- What are other countries doing with their reporting?
- Are there actual standards in reporting these numbers?
- How valid are these tests? I just hear too many stories of positives come up and then a negative. Are those counted twice? How we are we even keeping track?

# of cases obviously is based on how much testing is going on. That's obvious. And more testing SHOULD happen so people can readily know if they are going to spread it. But damn.. when I really sit back and think "How the f*** are we testing this with any validity?", my mind just explodes with questions.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
We've been quoting the Johns Hopkins stat on this thread for months now. US generally ranks between #6 and #8 in mortality/100,000. Call me a cynic, but I think that our response is beyond pathetic.

I live essentially half way between Seattle and Vancouver, BC, 30 miles south of the border. 50% of Vancouver's population is Asian. Shitloads of Asian flights land every day at YVR with Chinese and East Asian travelers. Yet Canada has enjoyed less than 50% of the morbidity and mortality compared with the US. BC is similar in population to Massachusetts and for every SINGLE person in BC who has died, 44 have died in Mass. Want a hint why? Testing rates in Canada has been 5 times that of the US, and they've had a unified answer, while we jabber about masks and freaking "liberty". On July 30th, the US reported almost 60,000 new COVID cases; the same day British Columbia reported 5.

This is the story, regardless of what obfuscation one choses to feel better:
View attachment 359960
i think you're 100% projecting your own biases onto this. maybe there's other explanations? canada is a generally healthier population? new york still has the most covid deaths of any state due to nyc population density and decisions made by cuomo and de blasio and bc doesnt have to deal with that? california has had mandatory masking the whole time but now has the highest case total anyway? you're comparing british columbia to an entire country? boston has 3 times the population density of vancouver? maybe less massive protests in the streets plays a factor? maybe the warm wet climate plays a factor in respiratory health vs massachusetts cold and dry air?

Last edited:

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Did California really ever lift lockdown restrictions as much as other states? It seems like they've had the strictest lockdowns while also being the largest hotspot in the country.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Did California really ever lift lockdown restrictions as much as other states? It seems like they've had the strictest lockdowns while also being the largest hotspot in the country.

From 7/15:

Here we go again. California is back on coronavirus lockdown.

And we have no one to blame but ourselves.

With the harshest of initial pandemic closures lifted around Memorial Day, many Californians seemed to think the danger from the novel coronavirus was over and rushed out to make up for three terrible months of quarantine.

We partied, we protested, we patronized salons and stores. And too often, we did so without maintaining a safe distance from others or wearing a face mask. Businesses ignored infection-control rules in large numbers, and some county sheriffs refused to enforce the rules.

And — surprise, surprise — the virus took full advantage of our lowered defenses. COVID-19 cases have risen steadily over the past month, with Los Angeles as the hottest hot spot in the state. More troubling: Hospital admissions rose, too, as did the percentage of coronavirus tests that come back positive. Health officials said they expect to see the COVID-19 mortality rate, which has been decreasing, start rising again in the next few weeks.

Opinion: Oh no. It's Lockdown 2.0

Fordy

May 28, 2008
talk about an axe to grind in that article. "we patronized salons and stores"? nothing in there indicates to me that california's reopening was anywhere close to what other states got to do. and to reiterate: strictest level of masking in the country
upload_2020-8-11_11-26-7.png

upload_2020-8-11_11-26-23.png

upload_2020-8-11_11-26-36.png

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
talk about an axe to grind in that article. "we patronized salons and stores"? nothing in there indicates to me that california's reopening was anywhere close to what other states got to do. and to reiterate: strictest level of masking in the country

Then how does it compare to what other states did?

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Then how does it compare to what other states did?
i mean if you're trying to argue that california has been more lax than other states in their rules i don't think you'll find much to support that. i'm saying they've had among the strictest rules

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I have zero questions that the US has made mistakes in this. At all levels of governmental and personal responsibility and decision making.

However, I have been to Europe, read reporting about various countries for decades, and know that for as many selfish self centered idiots that we have here. there are as many in other countries as well.

This America's is uniquely bad narrative is ridiculous. There simply are a certain segment of humans who can be counted on not to be counted on.

Back to some C-19 news.

Didn't she date Robbie 'Mario made me' Brown at one time?

Robbie owes Mario more than letting him ride his wing to a paycheck.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
i mean if you're trying to argue that california has been more lax than other states in their rules i don't think you'll find much to support that. i'm saying they've had among the strictest rules

I wasn't asserting that. Someone asked if they loosened restrictions there and they had.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
well of course they did. i would hope so. but what he actually said was "Did California really ever lift lockdown restrictions as much as other states? It seems like they've had the strictest lockdowns while also being the largest hotspot in the country." so he was speaking relatively not saying they never changed any restrictions. if you told me they like, still weren't letting people get haircuts, i'd say they're being run by a dictator who wants their lives to be miserable

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Do I trust Russia to do this right no matter how much they stole the data from us?

No.

That said, I have few problems with Russians volunteering their country to be the being test subjects for this. If it works, great. That speeds up the time table on getting everyone vaccinated. If not then it is not us, it is on them.

The stock market likes the news however. All-Time highs again, based at least in a large part on this news. Not because Russia per se, but the message that a vaccine is getting close.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I live in California..people following the masking requirements were a joke...and no enforcement of it either...don’t hold the state up as any model

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think the issue is Russia didn't do the clinical trials that we require in this county.

General Patton once told the story of being stopped by a German Minefield. They were going to be there the rest of the day clearing the mines.

A Russian Battalion came up and the officer asked Patton what the hold up was. He told the man. And the officer said, that is nothing we can have this field cleared in a half an hour. Patton wanted to see this new technology. The officer brought up a thousand men, lined them shoulder to shoulder, and ordered them to march with machine gunners behind them if they retreated.

Russians have a long history of this.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I live in California..people following the masking requirements were a joke...and no enforcement of it either...don’t hold the state up as any model
cases go up -> i saw someone not wearing a mask so thats the problem

cases inevitably go down again -> see the masks work! but wait, there's still people not wearing masks? so you can always claim one or the other?

doesn't this seem unfalsifiable at this point? maybe there's other factors at play beyond the religious esque assigned significance of wearing a mask?

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I think the issue is Russia didn't do the clinical trials that we require in this county.
i think the article clearly states that they just haven't told us what trials i went through, but they do clearly quote him saying that there's been 1000s of trials in the article. personally i don't hold our clinical trial system up as a shining beacon to the world as we have our own long history of medical malpractice

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I have zero questions that the US has made mistakes in this. At all levels of governmental and personal responsibility and decision making.

However, I have been to Europe, read reporting about various countries for decades, and know that for as many selfish self centered idiots that we have here. there are as many in other countries as well.

This America's is uniquely bad narrative is ridiculous. There simply are a certain segment of humans who can be counted on not to be counted on.

Back to some C-19 news.

Didn't she date Robbie 'Mario made me' Brown at one time?

Robbie owes Mario more than letting him ride his wing to a paycheck.

Specifically, look at what is going on in the UK and Spain. HUGE crowds are flocking to beaches ignoring any social distancing guidelines and mask requirements. The people trying to float the narratives how Americans are unique in their stupidity or how the rest of the world has beaten/contained the virus simply aren't paying attention to anything outside their own bubble.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
cases go up -> i saw someone not wearing a mask so thats the problem

cases inevitably go down again -> see the masks work! but wait, there's still people not wearing masks? so you can always claim one or the other?

doesn't this seem unfalsifiable at this point? maybe there's other factors at play beyond the religious esque assigned significance of wearing a mask?

Im just saying that citing California for evidence one way or another about whether masks work or not is not useful...

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Im just saying that citing California for evidence one way or another about whether masks work or not is not useful...

I just saw something that the Mayor in LA is going to turn off electric and water for people who host large parties and don't comply with gathering rules.
Unique approach for sure.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Obviously they just got the reports from the labs dating back to March. And probably classified deaths from natural causes as C-19 deaths.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
New York’s true nursing home death toll cloaked in secrecy

AP article about New York manipulating reporting of how many people died due to their policy of sending infected people into nursing homes. They didn't count nursing home residents who were infected, transferred to a hospital, and subsequently died at the hospital as victims of this policy. If they had-- which they should have-- the estimates suggest that about 11,000 deaths were directly attributable to the policy of sending infected people to nursing homes.

That means that 565 people per million residents in New York died just from this policy.

Barely less than the total per million in Arizona. About 42% more than Florida. About 88% more than Texas or Georgia.

And these states are counting deaths WITH COVID as deaths FROM COVID (i.e., as reporting from states like Florida shows, a person who gets in a motorcycle accident and dies and the autopsy shows the person was infected, then that counts as a COVID death).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad