COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
@Jaded-Fan - I just think you are spot on and it's a realization none of us want to fully accept. I don't think there is ANY situation in ANY country in ANY world that could keep businesses afloat in an unexpected pandemic. I think that's the harsh reality my mind hates to admit. I just think you are right and people will go out and make it sound so simple to fix, but it isn't. It really isn't.

That's good that he's still around in some capacity. Like all the other small businesses, I hope he makes it.

I asked as I was curious how he's operating. My gym is still closed, but a friend is now working as a trainer at a niche gym. This gym is only letting four to eight people in each hour in four segregated pods. When the person (or duo) finishes, the pod is briefly closed and disinfected, then the next person/duo can come in. Selfishly, the gym is the thing I miss most so I'm probably going to take the plunge starting next week.

So they run a HIIT Gym. 10 stations. To follow Allegheny/PA rules, everyone has to be 6 feet apart so they run the normal class times but instead of 20 people per class, it can only be 16 because of spacing. Everyone must wear a mask unless a medical condition exists. The mask part is strict. It's not just take it off as we all please. That is unfortunately something the city presses hard for. And we just added 15 minutes extra between classes to do a full cleaning before.

Normal gyms have done where they allowed a specific number of people in. Obviously that's how the LA Fitnesses of the world operate.

As for the mobile platform, f*** anyone who says run live classes. That is beyond stupid. This is an on-demand world. If you run classes or stuff like that, just PM me and i can give you a lot of what works. Including a host site.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, there's no way I'm going back to my gym for a while. Especially when people couldn't even be bothered to wipe down their equipment pre-pandemic.

This was my mindset, too. I already have personal problems with how people treated gyms PRE-Covid. I won't even coach in-studio anymore because people just do what they want. No matter how clean others will try to make it, there will always be 1 person. That 1 person trying to high five others and just not taking it serious.

So finally built my at-home gym. I've wanted to do this for years. Went with Rogue equipment for the majority because I know it lasts forever. Pay a little more but you get QUALITY USA built equipment that lasts for f***ing ever. And i do love my buddy's on-demand site. It's as cheap as 10/month and the cardio/segments are easy. So i have my full lifting set up and i have my full cardio.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I've been doing cardio nearly every day. Saturday was the first time since March or April that I went for a run and that went surprisingly well. Most days I use my exercise bike and I should probably use my rower more often. I throw in the jump rope on leg days.

For strength stuff I use my resistance bands. That's getting a bit boring though. I'm also on my third round of Athlean-X's "Get a bigger chest in 22 days" challenge video.

For abs I also use Athlean-X videos, but found another YouTube channel that has some killer routines. MadFit:

They're some damn good ab videos she does.

Reactions: Andy99 and ColePens

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
They only have to drag this along for another 2 months. Then when it gets cold again people will get colds/flu and they will fear it's Covid.

That's the scary thing to me.
Every cold/flu season from now on people will run to the ER, possibly en masse.

The people who just have the flu may end up getting Covid from those who truly have it. Now we have another exponential force in play.

It's going to be awful in the coming months.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I just passed 30 pounds lost since April. 174 pounds now at 6 feet tall.

Eating well, and simply a lot of walking, even though I am indoors. I averaged on my phone app between 8,500 and 15,000 steps a day during that period.

I have said before, being forced to eat at home made a huge difference. I always thought that I ordered fairly healthy. But you never know what they put into even seemingly healthy dishes.

Lots of fish, fresh veggies, salads, etc. It did not even feel like I was giving anything up.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Strength training with minimal equipment is IMPERATIVE. I'll send you a PM with a trial for 5 days to give my buddy's place a shot. Free - no info needed AT ALL. They focus a lot on strength because look.. the best way to "Cut fat", which really doesn't exist, is to build lean muscle. People over-do cardio all the time. You cannot cardio yourself to the body everyone wants. Cardio is great for some basic health (mental health, blood circulation, healthy heart), but the athlete body people desire for is about building lean muscle. So finding bands or DBs, or a KB you can use for multi-purpose is key.

And yo.. I LOVE Athlean-X. :laugh: I just love science. I hate all the BS fitness stuff. Give me some science.

And lastly - on my rant. People need to do what they love and just accept it. If you hate jogging, stop doing it. Jogging is probably one of the weakest low intensity steady state cardio movements. But if you LOVE jogging - DO IT. You will make it sustainable to get good low impact cardio. If you love jump roping and yoga... DO IT. You will sustain a healthy fitness life.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Yeah, there's no way I'm going back to my gym for a while. Especially when people couldn't even be bothered to wipe down their equipment pre-pandemic.

Yeah, that's my thought about my regular gym, too. Even if it was open, I don't think I'd go. The equipment is pretty well spaced apart and most everyone was very good at wiping equipment down, being respectful overall, but all it takes is one person...

I'm going to this new place because I basically won't run into anyone else while I'm there. I'm also looking to get the first session of the day at like 6am, too.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Strength training with minimal equipment is IMPERATIVE. I'll send you a PM with a trial for 5 days to give my buddy's place a shot. Free - no info needed AT ALL. They focus a lot on strength because look.. the best way to "Cut fat", which really doesn't exist, is to build lean muscle. People over-do cardio all the time. You cannot cardio yourself to the body everyone wants. Cardio is great for some basic health (mental health, blood circulation, healthy heart), but the athlete body people desire for is about building lean muscle. So finding bands or DBs, or a KB you can use for multi-purpose is key.

And yo.. I LOVE Athlean-X. :laugh: I just love science. I hate all the BS fitness stuff. Give me some science.

And lastly - on my rant. People need to do what they love and just accept it. If you hate jogging, stop doing it. Jogging is probably one of the weakest low intensity steady state cardio movements. But if you LOVE jogging - DO IT. You will make it sustainable to get good low impact cardio. If you love jump roping and yoga... DO IT. You will sustain a healthy fitness life.

Yeah, a set of dumbbells and maybe a fid bench can get you 80% of the way to a good gym setup.

I just moved back home to help my parents out and I found my old set of steel dumbbells in the basement. Coming into a set of 5s to 75s in the middle of the COVID home gym equipment shortage was a very pleasant surprise.

Reactions: ColePens

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013

Anytime I get into an exercise conversation with someone, I always bring up a line I heard (but cannot take credit for):

What's the best exercise routine out there? The one you do.

Doesn't matter what it is, doing something is always better than doing nothing. As much flack as Crossfit gets, the only real reason that they've succeed in getting so many people ripped is because they've applied gamification and people want to work out.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I just passed 30 pounds lost since April. 174 pounds now at 6 feet tall.

Eating well, and simply a lot of walking, even though I am indoors. I averaged on my phone app between 8,500 and 15,000 steps a day during that period.

I have said before, being forced to eat at home made a huge difference. I always thought that I ordered fairly healthy. But you never know what they put into even seemingly healthy dishes.

Lots of fish, fresh veggies, salads, etc. It did not even feel like I was giving anything up.

Yeah, I lost 25 lbs...I usually eat pretty healthy but love sugar/sweets...I almost completely cut those out...at our age, with Covid, weight loss is a good thing..lol

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Anytime I get into an exercise conversation with someone, I always bring up a line I heard (but cannot take credit for):

What's the best exercise routine out there? The one you do.

Doesn't matter what it is, doing something is always better than doing nothing. As much flack as Crossfit gets, the only real reason that they've succeed in getting so many people ripped is because they've applied gamification and people want to work out.

A-f***ing-men.

And i'll equally steal that. If someone LOVES Yoga, Walking, and swimming - they will continue to do it and sustain a healthier lifestyle. I don't care if squats, deadlifts, and sprints are better exercises. If someone HATES doing those 3 things, they won't sustain a healthy lifestyle. So embrace what you love and do it. So instead of dreading going to the gym to do squats, no matter what the science says about the exercise, if you dread it - you won't do it. So who cares if you burn 50% of the calories at Yoga. Those 50% less calories will be there consistently than all the days you skip the gym because you cannot stand going to do squats. And over a month.. it will be a HUGE number in your favor because you simply did something you loved.

And if you hate everything, find what you hate the least. :laugh: But I cannot stand people who tell me they hate jogging but have to do it. Jogging is an average exercise at best. It's LISS. So if you hate doing it, i have about 300 things that are more effective for you to try.

Reactions: NMK11 and Jaded-Fan

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, a set of dumbbells and maybe a fid bench can get you 80% of the way to a good gym setup.

I just moved back home to help my parents out and I found my old set of steel dumbbells in the basement. Coming into a set of 5s to 75s in the middle of the COVID home gym equipment shortage was a very pleasant surprise.

And i have many tricks around that, too. If you need a specific item, you can easily find it. And if anyone needs help - just PM me. I have some ways that work and can help you.

Fitness = health. Not just your body, but your mind. I'll help anyone.

That and there's a high percentage of Americans that just hate their knees.

This is the 2nd thing that drives me nuts. People always ask "What does your rest day look like?" Man... all of our rest days are different. I like to walk and do shoulder mobility exercises because i play hockey/tennis. If your knees hurt, do some knee mobility movements and yoga poses that help. If your back hurts, find 3-4 movements (10-20 mins max) that help YOU and do it.
:laugh:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Hopefully the Federal Government will pick up this cost.

I honestly expect that to happen.

Moderna will charge between $32 and $37 a dose for its experimental coronavirus vaccine for some "low volume" customers, the company's CEO said Wednesday

The company will be using a tiered pricing system, and will charge less for higher volume orders. The company considers a small order to be "in the millions" of doses, CEO Stéphane Bancel said on a conference call to discuss the company's quarterly earnings.

Bancel said the company will be charging “well below value” during the pandemic, but will follow market pricing once the virus is under control and considered endemic.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Yeah, if the choice is a ventilator for people our age or a 9 year old and we're all equally likely to die without it there's not much to debate as far as I see it.

Or it delays the inevitable we all die hate to break it to you. Hope all of us live forever.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I was thinking why I wasn't too upset about the loss tonight, and the Pens likely being bounced soon.

First, the oddness of this 'playoffs' with no fans. It seems slapped together, fake crowd noise. Almost like an All-Star game or outdoor gimmick. Any winner will have an asterisk for sure.

Second, the lottery and knowing the loser has a one in eight chance at the top pick. And even if the Pens don't get that they still pick about ten or twelve picks higher than they would have in a normal year where they lost in the first round. They did have the seventh best regular season record.

But finally it is stuff like the following most of all. In a year when 150,000 Americans have already died, millions of businesses went under, their owners bankrupt and the local and national governments are helpless to do much to help, the Pens winning or losing means a lot less.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I am more torn.

We have already lost 60% of restaurants. They are already gone.

How much does it cost to run a business, between rent, utilities, etc? From tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars a month. Multiplied by what? 31 million small businesses.

10 Small Business Statistics You Need to Know in 2020 [May 2020].

By the time we have enough vaccinated for herd immunity, most likely by maybe February at best, unless you are going to spend an unthinkable amount, you are going to flush a lot of that money down the toilet because most of those businesses are going to go under anyways if you throw only a few dollars at them, which is what would happen. And the current program, a loan, only makes things tougher to get out from under after this ends as you have all of these small margin businesses now with hundreds of thousands of dollar in loans to repay.

It is another of the no-win choices in this pandemic.
Either that number is wrong or they are counting the lemonade stand run by 10 year olds, because there is no way there are 31 million small businesses. The working age population in the US is 210 million. The real employment rate before the pandemic was a little over 60%. So you are at about 125-130 million. So the average company has 4 employees? That seems impossible to believe.

And after looking at it further, it turns out only 1/4 to 1/3 of those companies actually have employees, which makes a little more sense. The rest are "companies" created for tax purposes.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
I was thinking why I wasn't too upset about the loss tonight, and the Pens likely being bounced soon.

First, the oddness of this 'playoffs' with no fans. It seems slapped together, fake crowd noise. Almost like an All-Star game or outdoor gimmick. Any winner will have an asterisk for sure.

Second, the lottery and knowing the loser has a one in eight chance at the top pick. And even if the Pens don't get that they still pick about ten or twelve picks higher than they would have in a normal year where they lost in the first round. They did have the seventh best regular season record.

But finally it is stuff like the following most of all. In a year when 150,000 Americans have already died, millions of businesses went under, their owners bankrupt and the local and national governments are helpless to do much to help, the Pens winning or losing means a lot less.

I don’t disagree. Whatever makes us feel better about the Penguins absolutely sucking!

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh

Totally agree. It's hard for me to get excited about too much in general these days, for various reasons. It's nice to watch hockey, but it doesn't have much depth to it. Not only is the crowd noise fake, but the body language of the players and quietness of the arena just feels like a Tuesday game in February. I'm definitely appreciative of what the NHL is doing, but I just don't care. I'd feel this way if the Pens were up 2-1 right now.

I think part of it is also the time of year. Normally, this time of year is a very festive time. Back to school, football is gearing up, the NHL offseason is concluding and we start getting excited about the new team and new players, the cicadas are out, harvest season is around the corner, summer projects are winding down, the heat of the summer is dissipating, autumn and the holidays are in view... All of that just doesn't have the same feeling this year. There's a dark cloud hanging over this country right now.

Not to mention I was a little disappointed when the Pens lost yet another first round pick. To get that back - first overall or not - is nice. I'd rather lose it next year. They need a prospect pool to draw from, because this team just looks so stale.

And with regards to COVID, this ties into what I wrote before. Friends and family are struggling, not just with jobs, but with their kids, with their mental health, etc. To me, an available vaccine would be like a stanley cup victory right now. It's what I think about and get excited about.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
100 cases on 1574 tests is only a positive rate of 6.4%, which is well below where Allegheny County was at a few weeks ago. I don't think Allegheny County is in the "clear" of this spike yet, but I think it's pretty reasonable to think that we'll fall back down to around 40-60 cases a day going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad