Couturier or Schenn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
First half of the year is when players rack up points before the tough hockey starts after xmas when the two stars go awol.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Even if trading them was the right thing to do (it's not IMO) right now you're trading them for spare parts just to move the salary in order to do what?

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Even if trading them was the right thing to do (it's not IMO) right now you're trading them for spare parts just to move the salary in order to do what?
You would get some good players back for both. Don't want your young players watching them do nothing most nights.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

If all you can get are spare parts for Giroux and Voracek, it certainly would show how bad their contracts portend to be for the Flyers over the next 5 and 6 years.

I think there's a window still open where you could get a first round pick and a well regarded young player/prospect for either of them. But it's closing, and it will be shut with one more mediocre season.

When the Flyers are ready to contend, they will be based on a different core than Giroux and Voracek, so I don't see why it hurts to explore right now ridding yourselves of contracts that are likely to be albatrosses when they are legitimately contending for the Cup, and hopefully add a couple more younger assets who better fit the team's timeline.

Giroux has an NMC and the org loves him, so he's most likely staying put, regardless. But Voracek -- I think Hextall would be wrong if he's not at least feeling out the market. If all you can get are spare parts, forget it. But I think there's still an albeit closing window to trade Voracek for something worthwhile and eliminate a bad contract in the process.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
First half of the year is when players rack up points before the tough hockey starts after xmas when the two stars go awol.

Well.....except in the last 15 games that you call "garbage time" when discussing Weise, Couts and Schenn as a line.

So really, the only time that matters is the 25 games in Jan and Feb. Right?

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Well.....except in the last 15 games that you call "garbage time" when discussing Weise, Couts and Schenn as a line.

No not at all but lets see a year of intense all out hockey not the boring **** we saw last year where teams are playing backups and not playing us hard. Coots line looked good but lets see it right from the start.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The same reason you would want to trade Giroux and/or Voracek is the exact reason you won't get value back for them.

The amount of teams that have the need and cap space would significantly reduce the market, and GMs know it. Factor in the NMC, and we're looking at pennies on the dollar. They'd never enough to make it worthwhile - just look at the Kessel trade.

Sure, Kapanen turned out decent, but that return, for a top 10 scorer with retention was a joke. For better or worse, regardless of your opinion on him, we're married to G at this point unless we want to take a huge hit on value.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

:laugh:

The amount of effort he puts into being ignorant is almost impressive.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
No not at all but lets see a year of intense all out hockey not the boring **** we saw last year where teams are playing backups and not playing us hard. Coots line looked good but lets see it right from the start.

I am just pointing out what you are saying:

someone plays good to start the year, it's easy hockey.
Someone plays well to end the year, it's garbage time.

In a perfect world every players plays well all year. But it doesn't always work like that.

I have talked before about moving core players and have said on MANY occasions that us winning a cup will be on the backs of our future D and not on the backs of G, Jake and Simmer. I have used the Hossa role as an example of what I see them like.

We finally have the depth that people have been screaming about. Couts is now on the 3rd line on paper. We now should have the scoring #2 C to add matchup issue. How about we keep everyone and see how this all meshes together with the additions of Lindblom and Flip for a whole year and an older, hopefully stronger Konecny.

Last edited:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
:laugh:

The amount of effort he puts into being ignorant is almost impressive.
Players talk all the time about the first 30 to 35 games are hard but not like after xmas. This team had the puck away more then yrs past in the ozone and done **** with it and the top two went backwards hard. Streit's contract was an anchor but these two are gonna sink.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I am just pointing out what you are saying:

someone plays good to start the year, it's easy hockey.
Someone plays well to end the year, it's garbage time.

In a perfect world every players plays well all year. But it doesn't always work like that.
I know that but teams didn't even play the flyers hard this yr and our players had tough times. This team might not be the best but they should have been in if G and V would have played better along with others but those two were bad and a hot start in kinda training camp time doesn't cut it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The same reason you would want to trade Giroux and/or Voracek is the exact reason you won't get value back for them.

The amount of teams that have the need and cap space would significantly reduce the market, and GMs know it. Factor in the NMC, and we're looking at pennies on the dollar. They'd never enough to make it worthwhile - just look at the Kessel trade.

Sure, Kapanen turned out decent, but that return, for a top 10 scorer with retention was a joke. For better or worse, regardless of your opinion on him, we're married to G at this point unless we want to take a huge hit on value.

Montreal and St. Louis are the only 2 teams that I can see making a serious offer for Giroux. Both have veteran teams that are in win-now mode and both cant seem to find a 1C.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016

I want to move Voracek because of the contract. I do not want to pay 8.25 mil for 7 more dam years for his lazy ass play. The value in moving him is the anvil of the contract that hextall gave is gone. He is not an elite player. Not a leader...just passed for the "A'" fr one of the worst forwards statistically in the NHL. Giroux is not going anywhere at this time...he is damage goods. Voracek at 7 more years at a 8.25 mil cap hit? Are you ok with that? I am not.....

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would rather overpay our top 2 scorers by 1-1.5 million than pay guys like AMac 5 million.

People on here have a hard time understanding that part of their overpayment was due to them being so underpaid before hand. Remember G getting $3.75 million for 2 top 3 scoring years?

I guess we should have just traded them when they were becoming UFA's.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I would rather overpay our top 2 scorers by 1-1.5 million than pay guys like AMac 5 million.

People on here have a hard time understanding that part of their overpayment was due to them being so underpaid before hand. Remember G getting $3.75 million for 2 top 3 scoring years?

I guess we should have just traded them when they were becoming UFA's.

Well said. G and Vs contracts arent an issue.

MacDonalds (and before him Umberger, Lecavalier, Grossmann, Schenn) is.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Plus, even if we got all that cap space, what exactly are we spending it on? Voracek is gone and so is his 8.25m... where does the money go?

Not the young players on our roster, they'll be cheap(ish) for years.

Not on any vets who are due for big raises.

So on FAs? Bad move. We don't need to overpay for mediocre players who never live up to their contracts. Dumping an overpaid player to get a worse overpaid player makes no sense.

So, like Tripod said, you suck it up and keep your top scorer, even if he's overpaid by a little bit.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Trading Voracek only makes sense if it's a hockey trade. Like the forward version of Subban for Weber.
Might happen one day, but certainly not now.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

There are exceptionally few teams that do this. Demanding we blow up the team whenever this doesn't happen is ****ing absurd.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
There are exceptionally few teams that do this. Demanding we blow up the team whenever this doesn't happen is ****ing absurd.
two players because our top pick in three yrs will get a pay day and provy,along with a lot of prospects are gonna need raises if they turn out which I think most will. G and V don't cut it anyway.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
two players because our top pick in three yrs will get a pay day and provy,along with a lot of prospects are gonna need raises if they turn out which I think most will. G and V don't cut it anyway.

These are more than "two players." Trading those two is blowing up the team.

And considering that's your response to them not being runaway President's Trophy and Cup winners, essentially, it's truly absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad