Couturier or Schenn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
This offseason is bad and you guys should feel bad.

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: Curufinwe

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Neither. Both are to slow and watching another playoffs neither would fit on any of the clubs that made it. Hexy should drop both and change this team up.

Couturier on Pitt would be scary. He's certainly better than Bonino and Cullen. Having him as a 3rd line center on that team would be a nightmare.

He would be either be 2nd or 3rd line center on Ottawa after Turris. Brassard didn't have a great year but he would probably still play 2nd line center over him but Couturier is certainly better than Pageau.

On Anaheim he would also be scary playing behind Getzlaf and Kesler. It's not even debatable whether he's better than Vermette or not.

He would be 2nd or 3rd line center for Nashville as well. He's obviously better than Jarnkrok and it's debatable that he would play above Fisher too.

Couturier would be an obvious upgrade at 3C for all 4 remaining teams in the playoffs and possibly even a 2C for one or two of them.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What kind of fantasy world do you have to live in to think the top 9 centers and wingers on the playoff teams are all speedsters?

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Couturier on Pitt would be scary. He's certainly better than Bonino and Cullen. Having him as a 3rd line center on that team would be a nightmare.

He would be either be 2nd or 3rd line center on Ottawa after Turris. Brassard didn't have a great year but he would probably still play 2nd line center over him but Couturier is certainly better than Pageau.

On Anaheim he would also be scary playing behind Getzlaf and Kesler. It's not even debatable whether he's better than Vermette or not.

He would be 2nd or 3rd line center for Nashville as well. He's obviously better than Jarnkrok and it's debatable that he would play above Fisher too.

Couturier would be an obvious upgrade at 3C for all 4 remaining teams in the playoffs and possibly even a 2C for one or two of them.
A shown they also don't need a coots because the top players check well. 4.3 coots is not a need as a 3rd line center.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I'd rather keep Couturier. Never been crazy about either, as both have been slight disappointments since entering the league.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Schenn is a maddening player and continues to disappear for way too many stretches, but somehow he manages to pot his 25 goals and 30 assists.

I don't really see being able to trade him for a player of equal or greater production, so I think you just have to ride the good with the aggravating.

Similarly with Couturier, his offensive dry spells and inability to capitalize on scoring opportunities and the PP are aggravating, but I don't think you're going to be able to trade him for a player who makes it worthwhile. Just take the good with the bad, and the good is that Couturier is a big center who is the best defensive forward on the team and will still give you at least close to 40 points while matching up against the opponents' top lines. And also wingers tend to play better when on his line.

I lean toward keeping them both, barring of course an unexpectedly good trade offer. It's Giroux and Voracek I'm more concerned about as the top two players on the team.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I agree this thread really sucks. I keep both but for the record I voted for Schenn just because I want to **** off people who need a whipping boy on this site.:popcorn:

In doing so you've missed the point of the entire thread.

Check the Flyers/Coyotes thread in the trade board.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016

Stop it..... he is not an NHL 2C and that has been proven with the Flyers lack of success depending on him for scoring. Hextall even gave up on the idea of him being a 2c with the acquisition of another center. Open your eyes and watch the games and stop using CORSI as the determining factor. He does not have the skill to produce offense consistently in the NHL. He is a PK/checking center. But he is slight of build and does not play physical but his reach presents issues. He is a good 3rd line center but not elite. You guys overrate him so much that its getting almost weird. But this last injury at the Worlds should have you Couturier-ites worried. Is his slight body wearing down? He is entering his 7th NHL season. And has missed significant games the last two regular seasons and was run over & knocked out of his last playoff series. Time will tell but a third season with another injury would not be good.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Schenn is a maddening player and continues to disappear for way too many stretches, but somehow he manages to pot his 25 goals and 30 assists.

I don't really see being able to trade him for a player of equal or greater production, so I think you just have to ride the good with the aggravating.

Similarly with Couturier, his offensive dry spells and inability to capitalize on scoring opportunities and the PP are aggravating, but I don't think you're going to be able to trade him for a player who makes it worthwhile. Just take the good with the bad, and the good is that Couturier is a big center who is the best defensive forward on the team and will still give you at least close to 40 points while matching up against the opponents' top lines. And also wingers tend to play better when on his line.

I lean toward keeping them both, barring of course an unexpectedly good trade offer. It's Giroux and Voracek I'm more concerned about as the top two players on the team.

I agree.... I would rather move Voracek and his contract for picks and prospects and cap space.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We finally have the depth to have 3 scoring lines, and people want to trade our top point getter for picks, prospects and cap space????

I was in the "trade Simmonds" boat..hell, I might have been captain of the ship. But adding Flip, Lindblom, #2pick, and year older Konecny, makes me want to see what this group can do over a whole season. We are essentially adding a complete line to our team vs last years opening roster. Everyone in the 3rd/4th line are getting shoved down a line. That's a big improvement.

Let's see what we got.

Oh....and with the poll being at 100 votes, 90 are for Couts, 10 for Schenn. I guess I was not out to lunch when I said most Flyers fans would take Couts vs Schenn.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
G is still hanging out at center for team Canada in a **** tourney and is slow as hell. He won't do much more and that will kill his line no matter the teammates.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
As usual, people are short sighted.

In fact, it's short-sightedness that they've convinced themselves is long term thinking.

Trade for picks and prospects! Yeah sure, sometimes that's good, but not when you're giving up your top scorer and have no real reason to do so. People can't see past his poor end to the year, as if there's no chance he rebounds.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

In fact, it's short-sightedness that they've convinced themselves is long term thinking.

Trade for picks and prospects! Yeah sure, sometimes that's good, but not when you're giving up your top scorer and have no real reason to do so. People can't see past his poor end to the year, as if there's no chance he rebounds.

$8.275M and $8.250M cap hits for *5* more seasons in Giroux and *6* more for Voracek.

I think it's fair to be concerned about those contracts over the next 5 and 6 years.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

All people have to do is look no further than Ryan Getzlaf.

In 16-17 at 32 years old, he had 10 more points in 3 less games than he did the year prior in 15-16 at 31 years old. He followed that up with 18 points in 14 playoff games so far. No reason whatsoever to think that 29 year old Giroux can't have a better 17-18 season; especially considering the team around him SHOULD be better. My only concern is with Hakstols system and how it stifles offense from the Center position. Hope that is permanently scrapped and never seen again.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
$8.275M and $8.250M cap hits for *5* more seasons in Giroux and *6* more for Voracek.

I think it's fair to be concerned about those contracts over the next 5 and 6 years.

Maybe if we had other large, potentially problematic contracts, but that's not the case. Cap shouldn't be an issue.

During those years, our young defensemen will be on ELCs or RFA contracts for most of the time. Same for a bunch of our forwards... Konecny, Lindblom, 2nd overall, and whoever else ends up on the team over that time period.

I guess it also depends on what you expect from Giroux and Voracek, whether they'll bounce back or not. I see no real reason why they can't... especially as the team improves significantly around them and they're not asked to carry the team on their backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad