Couturier or Schenn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Maybe if we had other large, potentially problematic contracts but that's not the case, cap won't be an issue.

During those years, our young defensemen will be on ELCs or RFA contracts for most of the time. Same for a bunch of our forwards... Konecny, Lindblom, 2nd overall, and whoever else end up on the team over that time period.

I guess it also depends on what you expect from Giroux and Voracek, whether they'll bounce back or not. I see no real reason why they can't.

I can see both of them having 10 more points next season.

How the PP operates under a new coach will be a determining factor though.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I can see both of them having 10 more points next season.

How the PP operates under a new coach will be a determining factor though.

I'm not worried about their PP play at all. I think the 5v5 play will be what decides it, and it's looking good when you consider the improvements on the way.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Getzlaf is different than G or V and that's easy to see. G on team Canada looks finished so he wasn't hurt or hexy wouldn't have let him go. That means what you saw last year is what you are gonna get. V should be traded quick after playoffs.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That's where this #2 pick will be so important. If they come in and prove they can produce offense, Then teams can't load up against G and Jake. They will have to pick and choose.

Couts faces top lines
Giroux faces shutdown lines
#2 pick now gets to face a "typical" 2nd line or the 4th line

Plus our 3rd line in years past is now going to be our 4th line so should not get dominated every night.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Maybe if we had other large, potentially problematic contracts, but that's not the case. Cap shouldn't be an issue.

During those years, our young defensemen will be on ELCs or RFA contracts for most of the time. Same for a bunch of our forwards... Konecny, Lindblom, 2nd overall, and whoever else ends up on the team over that time period.

I guess it also depends on what you expect from Giroux and Voracek, whether they'll bounce back or not. I see no real reason why they can't... especially as the team improves significantly around them and they're not asked to carry the team on their backs.

I hope you're right and both Giroux and Voracek do bounce back.

But I don't think it's shortsighted to be concerned about those two top 15 in the NHL salaries over the course of the next 5 and 6 seasons.

And I'm less optimistic about much of a bounce back. I just hope they don't get even worse.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I do think the increased talent roster-wide will help those guys a lot.
Think of our talent now as a kitty, and our talent in the near future as the following kitty:

_96068621_18156564_10154741805502632_987627126613656961_o.jpg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I hope you're right and both Giroux and Voracek do bounce back.

But I don't think it's shortsighted to be concerned about those two top 15 in the NHL salaries over the course of the next 5 and 6 seasons.

And I'm less optimistic about much of a bounce back. I just hope they don't get even worse.

The shortsighted comment was more about people saying they want to trade Voracek because they're frustrated by how he ended last year. There were plenty of people saying he should be traded at the end of last year, not even thinking of his contract.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Getzlaf is different than G or V and that's easy to see. G on team Canada looks finished so he wasn't hurt or hexy wouldn't have let him go. That means what you saw last year is what you are gonna get. V should be traded quick after playoffs.

And then you'll hate V's replacement.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Giving up on player after one ****** year just to be clamoring over someone who had one good year is how you and up with Clarkson while loosing someone like Grabovski.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I dont think Giroux is done. far from it, but I also dont think we should expect MVP level of play out of him going forward. If he is healthy next season he should be able to bounce back and be a 70-75 point player and there is nothing wrong with that.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
As usual, people are short sighted.

In fact, it's short-sightedness that they've convinced themselves is long term thinking.

Trade for picks and prospects! Yeah sure, sometimes that's good, but not when you're giving up your top scorer and have no real reason to do so. People can't see past his poor end to the year, as if there's no chance he rebounds.

Voracek has had two subpar years in a row. This core has not won a fricking thing in 6 years but next year is the year. :shakehead You were saying the same stuff last year. The NHL has a cap. You need to get value out of the money you spent. Voracek's contract is bad. If you could move him now while still possible then you do it. The Flyers are not close to winning anything. That contract term is terrible...but as usual...... You are always go stepford when commenting.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ

Are all 3,286 of your posts the same things just typed in a different format?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
All the talk about Giroux being "done" is ridiculous. He is obviously never going to be a 80-90 point forward especially while this coach is still here. That said, I believe he still has a few good years left where he will produce between 65-75 points. As bad as he was this year he still had 58 points.

Getting a truly skiled player to be the 2nd line center like Nolan/Hischier should take some of the pressure off of him and help him play better. There is also a trickle down effect which means Couturier plays where he belongs as the third line center and he will be an upgrade over what they have had in that position. As someone said, this team has been very easy to match up against in recent years and that should change starting this coming season.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
All the talk about Giroux being "done" is ridiculous. He is obviously never going to be a 80-90 point forward especially while this coach is still here. That said, I believe he still has a few good years left where he will produce between 65-75 points. As bad as he was this year he still had 58 points.

Getting a truly skiled player to be the 2nd line center like Nolan/Hischier should take some of the pressure off of him and help him play better. There is also a trickle down effect which means Couturier plays where he belongs as the third line center and he will be an upgrade over what they have had in that position. As someone said, this team has been very easy to match up against in recent years and that should change starting this coming season.

:nod: Having better defense will absolutely help 5v5 scoring.

How often did we see the Giroux line out there with MDZ and/or Manning? That sure as hell isn't helping getting the offense going. Because of lack of scoring touch, but more so the fact that they'd get stuck in the Dzone for the entire damn shift.

Now obviously that doesn't take all responsibility away from Giroux, he definitely struggled at times last year, but the effect that defensemen have on 5v5 scoring shouldn't be underestimated.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
We heard before last season that taking Giroux off the PK would help his offense, too.

Fact remains his points the last 4 seasons have declined from 86 to 73 to 67 to 58.

He was 189th in the NHL in even strength points last season, behind guys such as Ryan Dzingel, Devin Shore, Zack Smith, and Jay Beagle.

The problems go way beyond Giroux needing to have some pressure taken off of him with a better 2nd line.

And he simply doesn't look good except when he's playing a stationary role on the PP.

Just seems like a lot of excuses and blind faith that he'll somehow conjure up a big bounce back out of nowhere. Hopefully he can reach 60 points again, but I don't see him as a 70 point player ever again.

As for Voracek, it's not a one year blip. That was supposed to be the 2015/16 season, and he came back with a nearly equally bad season after a torrid first two months, and some of the worst home/road split disparities I've ever seen.

When you are two of the top 12 highest paid players in the NHL, you are expected to perform better than these two have for most of the last two years. Giroux has an NMC and is here to stay for 5 more seasons, but if there's a window to trade Voracek's contract, which runs 6 more years, it's probably closing fast -- that's why it's something to think about.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They both produced at ~ppg for like half the year (not a coincidence that during this time the defense was playing very well), then the entire team fell off a cliff in January and February and nobody could score.

No reason why they can't do the same next year, minus the two month black hole of production.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
We heard before last season that taking Giroux off the PK would help his offense, too.

Fact remains his points the last 4 seasons have declined from 86 to 73 to 67 to 58.

He was 189th in the NHL in even strength points last season, behind guys such as Ryan Dzingel, Devin Shore, Zack Smith, and Jay Beagle.

The problems go way beyond Giroux needing to have some pressure taken off of him with a better 2nd line.

And he simply doesn't look good except when he's playing a stationary role on the PP.

Just seems like a lot of excuses and blind faith that he'll somehow conjure up a big bounce back out of nowhere. Hopefully he can reach 60 points again, but I don't see him as a 70 point player ever again.

As for Voracek, it's not a one year blip. That was supposed to be the 2015/16 season, and he came back with a nearly equally bad season after a torrid first two months, and some of the worst home/road split disparities I've ever seen.

When you are two of the top 12 highest paid players in the NHL, you are expected to perform better than these two have for most of the last two years. Giroux has an NMC and is here to stay for 5 more seasons, but if there's a window to trade Voracek's contract, which runs 6 more years, it's probably closing fast -- that's why it's something to think about.
Exactly. Guys like you and I love the team first and see these two are huge problems. The d moved the puck better than the last 4 yrs but those two went backwards even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad