Could the NHLPA allow players to use marijuana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
There is no way I believe that evander kane hasn't smoked pot even if you present me with a negative drug test.

122499.jpg

Reactions: Eyeseeing and DaveG

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I have nothing against weed but athletes shouldn't smoke right? It's bad for your lungs. Shouldn't be illegal though I don't see it giving any advantage
Marijuana doesn't necessarily even need to be smoked. It can be vaped or eaten. Not to mention the fact that you don't have to sit around and smoke an entire joint to get the desired effects. You can literally inhale one or two hits to ease the pain after a game which is MUCH better than taking prescription pain killers. Of course smoking is bad for your lungs but we aren't talking about smoking cigarettes where you're taking 30+ puffs of a cigarette 10-20+ times a day where you're ultimately inhaling smoke several hundred times every single day.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
This is one of the worst posts I've ever seen... Don't traffic weed across the border and you're fine. None of these links would apply to an NHL player, they all have money. No rich millionaire is getting banned from the US for smoking weed

Your post is one of the worst. You obviously didn't read the links or you would have seen numerous immigration lawyers and ICE officials all saying it's an entry bannable offense.

Kate Moss lost her work visa over a tabloid photo. She's been trying to get it back ever since. Nigella lawson lost hers over a mere admission to drug use and had to do a season of her US based tv show via satellite. Amy winehouse missed the grammys over a pot issue in norway. Entry ban and refused work visa.

All of them have much more money than your typical nhl player.

Don't comment on stuff you know zero about.

Reactions: mikeyp24

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Theyre allowed to already. Ive smoked with a very big name. He just said dont post it on twitter, but they dont get tested for marijuana.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Allow all drugs or no drugs. If pot is allowed then let them coke up too.

Also as someone who has (in only 10yrs) had 11 surgeries I been put under for and 50+ procedures my drs/surgeons consider surgical and I have tried CBD, weed, vicadin, percocet, hyromorphine, ms contin, methadone and so on... I legit got 0 relief from anything marijuana related. I have had extreme success with percs/vicadin over those 10yrs. If I didnt have those id be immobile. Also not addicted or even dependent I go dyas without and while I have unbearable pain I dont withdrawal at all. People who dont deal with severe injuries dont know how 8nportant pain killers are and ignorantly conpare it to heroin and as someone whose 3 closest friends for over 18 years 1 died, one is on rehab, and the other is just someone who says its under control and you cant make someone get help who dont want it but they are heroin addicts and they have all said they arent remotely close.

I just wish people would talk to athletes with chronic pain and talk to them on what helps and dont put heroin and pks in the same catagory because they arent.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
CBD yes i can see them allowing but going to a dispensary and getting an eighth of OG kush for pain management is a little far fetched.

Is allowing them to purchase alcohol at liquor stores and restaurants a concern, or far-fetched?

Dispensaries don't just carry bud, they also carry infused edibles, capsules (pills), high cbd and 1:1 ratio infused products, tinctures, pain-relieving topical balms and compounds, etc... NHL players could benefit from such products for such products in a variety of ways (pain relief for injuries, sleep aid, recovering from games/practices/workouts, etc)... Certain compounds from the plant can also be used effectively to treat anxiety, migraines, and might even aid in the recovery from concussions... We know there are serious issues with players getting hooked on dangerous and addictive painkillers that are commonly prescribed by our medical system - so giving them a safe alternative for pain management is a huge plus both for the players, and for the league.

Whether someone plays hockey or not, there are beneficial and therapeutic applications for consuming this plant, and when we willingly accept that players can consume alcohol in copious amounts for recreational enjoyment - it seems ridiculous to suggest they can't also enjoy cannabis recreationally off the ice...

If you reference the article I posted on page 4, and the excerpt... Riley Cote says he estimates half of the players in the league already consume cannabis (in some form or another) - and that the league turns a blind eye to it with regards to the testing...

As far as I'm concerned, this isn't an issue with contention, not as it currently stands with the players and the league's position...

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Cannabis oil would be the way to go for pain management. It doesn’t have most of the negative side effects associated with smoking, which in itself can’t be good for atheletes.

I am currently trying to get onto a trial of it for my MS. I’ll let you know how effective it is :naughty:
I wish you the best of luck.

I got tested last year for it and am lucky it wasn’t more than a pinched nerve in my bicep.

I agree with the Cannabis oil especially during the season. Far safer and they can adjust dosage and even type for each player.

If they want to smoke it, save it for the offseason.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Oh it most certainly does slow it down in everyone. People with adhd are no different. It's just slows down their mind from going 120mph to the speed limit.
Such a great analogy.

The only thing with pot is that if you’re already on antidepressants, smoking weed can further suppress your serotonin levels to the point that you might go into some sort of episode.

It happened to me years ago and I learned the hard way that my body simply can not tolerate pot.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I love how this thread turned into some kind of debate from a generation ago. It's 2018 and people with internet access are still this naive? just lol

member 157595

Lol I’m pretty neutral on this topic, frankly I could care less what people around me are doing so long as they shut the **** up while doing it.

But, I can only go by past experience here. I don’t care what anyone says, any drug is going to mess with your melon if you take it long enough. Including weed and yes, alcohol.

Judging by some of the guys I hung around with at university from the Simcoe/Delhi region of Ontario, weed is actually well on its way to wiping out that area totally. Or skyrocketing cheesie sales once legalized. Could go either way.

Probably wouldn’t draft a goalie from that area if nothing else.

Not only can alcohol be highly addictive depending on the frequency of use and person in question, quitting alcohol cold-turkey can actually be fatal. Alcohol withdrawal is very, very bad news.

Reactions: billybudd

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Your post is one of the worst. You obviously didn't read the links or you would have seen numerous immigration lawyers and ICE officials all saying it's an entry bannable offense.

Kate Moss lost her work visa over a tabloid photo. She's been trying to get it back ever since. Nigella lawson lost hers over a mere admission to drug use and had to do a season of her US based tv show via satellite. Amy winehouse missed the grammys over a pot issue in norway. Entry ban and refused work visa.

All of them have much more money than your typical nhl player.

Don't comment on stuff you know zero about.
Because the US is messed up. Its weed. So fricken what.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Allow all drugs or no drugs. If pot is allowed then let them coke up too.

Also as someone who has (in only 10yrs) had 11 surgeries I been put under for and 50+ procedures my drs/surgeons consider surgical and I have tried CBD, weed, vicadin, percocet, hyromorphine, ms contin, methadone and so on... I legit got 0 relief from anything marijuana related. I have had extreme success with percs/vicadin over those 10yrs. If I didnt have those id be immobile. Also not addicted or even dependent I go dyas without and while I have unbearable pain I dont withdrawal at all. People who dont deal with severe injuries dont know how 8nportant pain killers are and ignorantly conpare it to heroin and as someone whose 3 closest friends for over 18 years 1 died, one is on rehab, and the other is just someone who says its under control and you cant make someone get help who dont want it but they are heroin addicts and they have all said they arent remotely close.

I just wish people would talk to athletes with chronic pain and talk to them on what helps and dont put heroin and pks in the same catagory because they arent.
lmao Theres a big difference between pot and heroin. And just curious, you didn't mention Alcohol, a a drug that is way worse than pot, but should obviously be allowed as long as it's not a problem. Do you classify it as a drug?

Theres obviously no problem as long as players aren't high as **** during games :laugh:. Again, if you think pot shouldn't be allowed than there's no argument for alcohol being allowed using your logic.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
I wish you the best of luck.

I got tested last year for it and am lucky it wasn’t more than a pinched nerve in my bicep.

I agree with the Cannabis oil especially during the season. Far safer and they can adjust dosage and even type for each player.

If they want to smoke it, save it for the offseason
Do you think they be allowed to have a beer after a game??

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Did you just suggest that weed is a gateway to shrooms? I can't tell if your posts are serious. The gateway theory is complete BS.
You're just as uninformed if you think Shrooms are a bad drug. If your in the right mindset, you know your dose and you don't have bad anxiety or depression tripping on shrooms or acid can actually very good for you in a million ways.

As far as the gateway theory is, weed can make you curious about other drugs, but it doesn't change your view on what is good for you and how often you should do something that is bad for you

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Just a few links. A NHL player could get banned by US Immigration and require a waiver to enter the US. That waiver takes 6 months to obtain but it could be permanent. 6 months means missing part of the season and probably will result in a suspension or contract termination at the team's discretion.

Why That One Time You Smoked Pot Can Get You Banned From The U.S.

Trudeau's Pot Confession May Mean Border Trouble, For Him And Other Candid Politicians: Lawyer

Pot smokers warned: think twice before crossing U.S. border | CBC News

White Rock woman barred from U.S. after admitting marijuana use

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/man-admits-to-trying-drugs-gets-banned-from-u-s-1.1212944

Ever try pot? Answer yes, and U.S. won't let you in — ever

I see that you're an enormous fan of clickbait and misleading/lying headlines.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
lmao Theres a big difference between pot and heroin. And just curious, you didn't mention Alcohol, a a drug that is way worse than pot, but should obviously be allowed as long as it's not a problem. Do you classify it as a drug?

Theres obviously no problem as long as players aren't high as **** during games :laugh:. Again, if you think pot shouldn't be allowed than there's no argument for alcohol being allowed using your logic.
Im an all or nothing guy as far as illegal stuff goes. Pot is illegal here unless medical purposes in most states. I mean here even stuff like adderall is suspendable in football and fighting even if needed.

The problem with the argument between pot and alcohol is you can test a player to see if they are drunk... cant test for drugs. You have to be able to make sure a person isnt on any substance while at work and 1 is testable.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I see that you're an enormous fan of clickbait and misleading/lying headlines.

It's not clickbait nor lying. It's absolutely an entry bannable offense. Entry bans can be imposed on the spot at the discretion of the border official. Once imposed, it takes about 6 months minimum to obtain a waiver even with an attorney's help and it can be permanent a la Kate Moss.

There are literally dozens and dozens of immigration lawyers all stating this.

"If you admit you've smoked marijuana or plan to, you can be banned permanently – there's no due process, no right to a trial and it's not appealable," says Mark Belanger, a Vancouver lawyer who works on border issues. "Anything drug-related is typically a crime involving moral turpitude. Those are magic words and you'll be banned from entering the United States."

Can U.S. border guards turn me away for saying I've smoked pot?

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Because the US is messed up. Its weed. So fricken what.

US immigration takes a hard line stance on pot use. If you had read any of the articles you would have seen multiple immigration attorneys all quoted as saying it's an entry bannable offense. It takes 6 months to get a waiver.

Nowhere did I say I was against it. Only that US immigration takes a hard line stance.

Michael Milne of U.S. Customs and Border Protection says the agency's policies aren't changing to accommodate state-level plans to legalize pot.
He says border guards enforce federal laws — and marijuana is still restricted by the U.S. government — so Canadians who disclose plans to try legal pot south of the border could be turned away — or barred from the U.S. indefinitely.

Pot smokers warned: think twice before crossing U.S. border | CBC News

Last edited:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You're just as uninformed if you think Shrooms are a bad drug. If your in the right mindset, you know your dose and you don't have bad anxiety or depression tripping on shrooms or acid can actually very good for you in a million ways.

As far as the gateway theory is, weed can make you curious about other drugs, but it doesn't change your view on what is good for you and how often you should do something that is bad for you
I agree and I'm not sure if you're saying that I think shrooms are bad? That's not at all what I was saying. It was more laughable to me that someone could make the connection(gateway theory) between two drugs that are nothing alike. I've done psychedelics enough to know. My brain isn't suddenly craving other drugs because I used others. The problem is some people have addictive personalities and it doesn't matter what drug they started with, they were always going to try others as far as I'm concerned. You need to be in a pretty horrible place in your life to say f*** it, why not, I'm gonna smoke crack or shoot up for the first time. The drugs we're talking about aren't in the same category.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

people are still basing their opinions off propaganda 40 years ago and it's f***ing ridiculous.

psychs need to be given a chance by society.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It's not clickbait nor lying.

"Ever Try Pot? The US Won't Let You In--Ever."

"Trudeau's Pot Confession May Mean Trouble, For Him and Other Candid Politicians: Lawyer."

The Enquirer is less sensationalistic and inaccurate than this trash you're linking. It is frightening that you would actually defend garbage like this as "not clickbait."

"If you admit you've smoked marijuana or plan to, you can be banned permanently – there's no due process, no right to a trial and it's not appealable," says Mark Belanger, a Vancouver lawyer who works on border issues. "Anything drug-related is typically a crime involving moral turpitude. Those are magic words and you'll be banned from entering the United States."

You have linked yet another lie.

Here is the appellate form which this "lawyer" says doesn't exist.

Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Nonimmigrant

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad