Could the NHLPA allow players to use marijuana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Marijuana legalization is just dumbing down of the society, hopefully it is not allowed in pro sports.
No, it’s comments like this that are.

Does anyone really think there’s anything stopping players from smoking now? When is the last time any player has failed a piss test for recreational drugs?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I'm sure NHLPA will be fine with it, but a lot of teams will have internal rules.

I could see humans like Lou Lamoriello being strict on that.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I hope not. Long term use of marijuana is bad for hockey player. Player will lose ability to focus.

images

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
No, it’s comments like this that are.

Does anyone really think there’s anything stopping players from smoking now? When is the last time any player has failed a piss test for recreational drugs?

Just take a look at the effects that marijuana has(I am not talking about NHL players but society in general), I don't think that the NHL players will be effected by this this.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
People are free to destroy their bodies in any way available. This is the modern understanding of freedom.

I would allow it in general. As a GM or coach I would throw the f... out a player that I'd know doing it. For the record: it applies to all drugs including alcohol. Yes, not possible in today's society, sad but true.

:laugh:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
No, smoking weed is immoral and is an affront to everything the NHL stands for.

I'm assuming this is sarcasm, but there's some truth to that.

The NHL (and NFL) is all about optics and they'd be worried the general public would be up in arms about players possibly using the "wacky tobacky".

There's still a stigma attached to it- especially among the old dinosaurs who continue to play a large role in the league. I'm not sure I'd call many of them of the open minded sort.

Think of it like this: tell an owner that you have this drug that is less addictive than painkillers and overall better for their athletes' health and well being vs what they currently have available.

100% of them would say "sign me up!". But when you tell them it's marijuana, they'd all grumble some nonsense before heading to supper at 4:30pm at their local diner.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Did you just suggest that weed is a gateway to shrooms? I can't tell if your posts are serious. The gateway theory is complete BS.
I'm not even sure why shrooms are in the same conversation as the other drugs he mentioned. That post reeks of his mom's basement.

Anyway, the gateway theory is real, it just doesn't start with weed which is a non-addictive (at least physically) drug. Tons of people start with pain killers and progress to heroin and others start with Adderall and move to Meth because in both scenarios the drug is stronger and cheaper Very few people pick up heroin or meth as their first drug of choice but I do agree that weed is certainly not a gateway drug. If anything is a true gateway drug it's alcohol. I don't know a single person who has done any kind of hard drugs that frowns upon drinking.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
There is no way I believe that evander kane hasn't smoked pot even if you present me with a negative drug test.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
So many uninformed people in this thread. Mommy said the marijuanas fry your brain, it must be true! Weed is bad but alcohol is perfectly fine. Great logic.
Lol I’m pretty neutral on this topic, frankly I could care less what people around me are doing so long as they shut the f*** up while doing it.

But, I can only go by past experience here. I don’t care what anyone says, any drug is going to mess with your melon if you take it long enough. Including weed and yes, alcohol.

Judging by some of the guys I hung around with at university from the Simcoe/Delhi region of Ontario, weed is actually well on its way to wiping out that area totally. Or skyrocketing cheesie sales once legalized. Could go either way.

Probably wouldn’t draft a goalie from that area if nothing else.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Because some recreational drugs can arguably give you an edge. Athletes have been accused of using things like adderal, Ritalin and speed during games for those reasons.

It is also because it creates a bad rep for the team and kills your market. You are trying to sell your product to as wide an audience as possible, you'd get slammed by a big percentage for supporting this. The Vancouver Stoners, the NYR Cokefiends, Carolina Oxys and the LA Crackheads is hard sell to sponsors, and in the age of social media the backlash against those sponsors would be brutal.

"Hi, I'm Connor McDavid and when I'm not shooting up in a corner I like to wear [insert brand here]."

The NHL might turn a blind eye but it not going to been seen actively supporting and encouraging the use of these sorts of substances. As people have said, you don't hear about players getting caught, the NHL doesn't want to catch them.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Just a few links. A NHL player could get banned by US Immigration and require a waiver to enter the US. That waiver takes 6 months to obtain but it could be permanent. 6 months means missing part of the season and probably will result in a suspension or contract termination at the team's discretion.

Why That One Time You Smoked Pot Can Get You Banned From The U.S.

Trudeau's Pot Confession May Mean Border Trouble, For Him And Other Candid Politicians: Lawyer

Pot smokers warned: think twice before crossing U.S. border | CBC News

White Rock woman barred from U.S. after admitting marijuana use

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/man-admits-to-trying-drugs-gets-banned-from-u-s-1.1212944

Ever try pot? Answer yes, and U.S. won't let you in — ever

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As someone who uses CBD/THC oil for pain management, in addition to anxiety management, I think the usage absolutely has it's place.

However, let's not pretend that it's all unicorns and rainbows, the usage of marijuana is fine in moderation, but certain people are predisposed to abuse things that make them feel good or escape reality.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
A lot of trolls in here making outlandish comments trying to get a reaction out of other posters. Don't take the bait! Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that keeping it illegal makes no sense if we can buy booze and tobacco freely.

There is no way I believe that evander kane hasn't smoked pot even if you present me with a negative drug test.

I mean... why? Besides the obvious answer... He definitely strikes me as more of a partier than a stoner. Weed isn't a party drug. Now if you had said Tyler Ennis you would have been onto something :laugh:

Reactions: ER89

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
CBD yes i can see them allowing but going to a dispensary and getting an eighth of OG kush for pain management is a little far fetched.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Just a few links. A NHL player could get banned by US Immigration and require a waiver to enter the US. That waiver takes 6 months to obtain but it could be permanent. 6 months means missing part of the season and probably will result in a suspension or contract termination at the team's discretion.

Why That One Time You Smoked Pot Can Get You Banned From The U.S.

Trudeau's Pot Confession May Mean Border Trouble, For Him And Other Candid Politicians: Lawyer

Pot smokers warned: think twice before crossing U.S. border | CBC News

White Rock woman barred from U.S. after admitting marijuana use

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/man-admits-to-trying-drugs-gets-banned-from-u-s-1.1212944

Ever try pot? Answer yes, and U.S. won't let you in — ever

This is one of the worst posts I've ever seen... Don't traffic weed across the border and you're fine. None of these links would apply to an NHL player, they all have money. No rich millionaire is getting banned from the US for smoking weed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad