Could the NHLPA allow players to use marijuana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
And you have completely overlooked that filing for a waiver takes 6 months minimum to process.

And that waiver form is for someone that has already been deemed inadmissible. Belanger was talking about the initial determination of inadmissibility not the waiver. Waiver and appeal are not the same thing. Understand what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
For most people a waiver stands a decent chance of being granted. That is not the issue. The major problem for NHL players is that the waiver form takes about 6 months to a full year to process.

Let me repeat that. It takes about 6 months to a full year to process. That is the point I'm making. A waiver does not remove the initial determination of inadmissibility from someone's immigration file.

The waiver application process can be lengthy (up to a year) and there is a cost of US $585.00 per application regardless of the decision on the application.

Applying for Waiver- Person entering into the United States with criminal record or overstay.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
I agree and I'm not sure if you're saying that I think shrooms are bad? That's not at all what I was saying. It was more laughable to me that someone could make the connection(gateway theory) between two drugs that are nothing alike. I've done psychedelics enough to know. My brain isn't suddenly craving other drugs because I used others. The problem is some people have addictive personalities and it doesn't matter what drug they started with, they were always going to try others as far as I'm concerned. You need to be in a pretty horrible place in your life to say **** it, why not, I'm gonna smoke crack or shoot up for the first time. The drugs we're talking about aren't in the same category.
Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed that you thought that shrooms where bad. For me weed was actually a gateway to shrooms, it got me curious about psychedelics. But my friends having them when they rarely did also played a big role. I had a few trips that really changed my life, but I always got anxiety on the come up. After trying an eighth with lemon juice (increases potency) i thought I had died and bits of my life where floating through my mind but I wasn't able to grasp that I was just tripping balls. Haven't tried them since, but If I could get ahold of some I might try a low dose again.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Well, if I had to choose between an absolute 100% ban on alcohol vs an absolute 100% ban on marijuana I'd ban alcohol for sure.

Honestly, I have no clue why alcohol and tobacco are even considered "fine" in society.

Alcohol and tobacco are bad for health, but that doesn't make marijuana healthy alternative.

If alcohol or tobacco were invented today, they would be banned for sure. It's just the long tradition and culture that supports drinking alcohol.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I’m personally of the decrimization/end prohibition crowd when it comes to marijuana. Prohibition never works. So should they... IMO yes. Could they... it’s awhile off still.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Does the NHL/PA following WADA or WADA guidelines?

Can’t see it being anytime soon, guys are disqualified just for using Vicks.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Never heard of whatever your talking about i was born over 20 years AFTER 1980 so tbh NO CLUE what your trying to get at here. Anyways not suprised many of the people in this thread think this is no big deal :shakehead
Yeah that explains it.

A lot of what DARE taught you was pure, unfiltered BS.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
No, it’s comments like this that are.

Does anyone really think there’s anything stopping players from smoking now? When is the last time any player has failed a piss test for recreational drugs?

They dont come out because they basically are allowed to smoke pot already. It takes 3 or 4 positive marijuana tests before the league does anything about it. Most of these guys know when theyre being tested and dont smoke enough for it tobe in their system for a long time so they just dont do it for a week before their test.

Its not allowed right now but it basically is

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
And you have completely overlooked that filing for a waiver takes 6 months minimum to process.

And that waiver form is for someone that has already been deemed inadmissible. Belanger was talking about the initial determination of inadmissibility not the waiver. Waiver and appeal are not the same thing. Understand what you are talking about.

Nope. You don't get to move the goalposts like this ("banned forever" = "six-eight month waiver process"), nor do you get to say someone who is not you meant something entirely unrelated to what he actually said (" 'it's not appealable' " = "an appellate judge is not standing at a border crossing hoping someone with a drug offense shows up").

In terms of admittance, "waiver" and "appeal" are the same thing. You are appealing to the agency for a waiver. Admittance to the US is an executive function, not a judiciary one. And US courts do not have jurisdiction over foreign citizens on foreign soil. You would not want them to.

Whatever it is you're reading, you need to stop. It's filling your brain with bull****.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Yes but isnt microdose supposed to be so small it will have no measurable effect?

No. It has a measurable effect (focus, concentration) or else people wouldn't be doing it. There are levels when it comes to hallucinogens; a microdose will provide the most minimal.

Think of it like drinking a beer. Yeah, you drank a beer, and you're not drunk. However, you will still feel some effect from the alcohol even though you are not drunk.

Last edited:

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
1. The NHLPA can lobby for its legalization but the NHL itself (Board of Governors) needs to make the call.

2. As long as it's illegal in some states with NHL teams, Number 1 above has zero chance of happening.

3. All other talk on "benefits, side effects, doses," etc, belong in the Lounge forum.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
No. It has a measurable effect (focus, concentration) or else people wouldn't be doing it. There are levels when it comes to hallucinogens; a microdose will provide the most minimal.

Think of it like drinking a beer. Yeah, you drank a beer, and you're not drunk. However, you will still feel some effect from the alcohol even though you are not drunk.

How tho?

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Nope. You don't get to move the goalposts like this ("banned forever" = "six-eight month waiver process"), nor do you get to say someone who is not you meant something entirely unrelated to what he actually said (" 'it's not appealable' " = "an appellate judge is not standing at a border crossing hoping someone with a drug offense shows up").

In terms of admittance, "waiver" and "appeal" are the same thing. You are appealing to the agency for a waiver. Admittance to the US is an executive function, not a judiciary one. And US courts do not have jurisdiction over foreign citizens on foreign soil. You would not want them to.

Whatever it is you're reading, you need to stop. It's filling your brain with bull****.

You still have no clue what your talking about. The initial determination of admissibility is not appealable. It can be done at the sole discretion of the border official. waiver just allows someone in for a temporary period and it takes 6 months or longer to process.

Never lie about anything to border officials

I-192 Waivers of inadmissibility are typically valid for a period of 5 years but could be issued for a lesser period at the discretion of the U.S. immigration officer. If the waiver is granted, the applicant is required to display the waiver for each and every entry during the term of the waiver. Unlike Canada, the U.S. does not have a way to obtain a permanent waiver.

Fixing Criminal Inadmissibility to the US | ezbordercrossing

You are absolutely reading US federal law incorrectly. You are confusing and mixing up legal terms and you don't even recognize it. I'm done arguing with someone whose only response is dozens of immigration attorneys and customs and border protection officials are lying.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
You still have no clue what your talking about. The initial determination of admissibility is not appealable. It can be done at the sole discretion of the border official. waiver just allows someone in for a temporary period and it takes 6 months or longer to process.

Never lie about anything to border officials

I-192 Waivers of inadmissibility are typically valid for a period of 5 years but could be issued for a lesser period at the discretion of the U.S. immigration officer. If the waiver is granted, the applicant is required to display the waiver for each and every entry during the term of the waiver. Unlike Canada, the U.S. does not have a way to obtain a permanent waiver.

Fixing Criminal Inadmissibility to the US | ezbordercrossing

So you now agree all of the previous articles you cited were lies and clickbait. After all, this contradicts everything else you've said. Should have saved yourself the time by not linking any of them in the first place or acknowledging that they were lies and just apologizing.

You are absolutely reading US federal law incorrectly. You are confusing and mixing up legal terms and you don't even recognize it. I'm done arguing with someone whose only response is dozens of immigration attorneys and customs and border protection officials are lying.

I assume you're objecting to my usage of the term "appeal." An "appeal" can be made to rulings by the judiciary or in some cases the executive in the United States. If you're placed on a no-fly list, for an example, there is a process to appeal that which doesn't involve the judiciary at all.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
You're acting completely irrational here.

US law allows border officials to make the inadmissibility determination. That initial determination can't be appealed and there is no due process. It can be imposed on the spot immediately.

A waiver is a temporary pass to not have that inadmissibility enforced. It takes 6+ months to process.

While a conviction will almost certainly trigger inadmissibility concerns, foreign nationals should be aware that a conviction is not required for a finding of ineligibility under immigration law. Anyone who admits to having violated a drug law, or admits to the essential elements of a crime, may be found inadmissible even if there have been no charges or convictions.

Marijuana may be gaining recognition as a less dangerous drug—but in the immigration context, it’s still toxic.

While these state legalization laws may give foreign nationals a sense that drug activity in those states is also noncriminal for immigration purposes, the reality is that under federal law, marijuana remains an illegal substance that is subject to criminal prosecution and penalties. The conflict between state and federal laws can pose special risks and serious repercussions for foreign nationals applying for visas, permanent residency or other immigration benefits.

The federal Controlled Substances Act classifies marijuana as a Schedule I drug with high potential for abuse and no accepted medical use. Under immigration law, a violation of a controlled substance law (domestic or foreign) may result in a finding of inadmissibility which would impact foreign nationals’ ability to obtain a visa, apply for a green card, convert from one immigration status to another, and subject them to deportation. In the worst-case scenario, someone who has been convicted of a drug offense, or who admits to a violation of a drug law, may be deemed permanently inadmissible.

https://www.balglobal.com/bal-news/...-and-immigration-facts-for-foreign-nationals/

Award Winning Immigration Lawyers – VisaPlace.com

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Wouldn't this kill any chance of NHL players returning to the Olympics?

No, really nothing has changed. People will continue to lie about past use at the boarder, the NHL will continue to not test for it, and if (I dont know if they do) test for it at the Olympics athletes would do what they've likely done in the past - which was probably just taking a break from toking up for a few weeks beforehand to clear the system.

This really isnt going to change much.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
League should make a special case for certain guys though medicinally. Like McDavid has tremendous back pain from skating around with a house league team on his back 82 games a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad