Could the NHLPA allow players to use marijuana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Well, if I had to choose between an absolute 100% ban on alcohol vs an absolute 100% ban on marijuana I'd ban alcohol for sure.

Honestly, I have no clue why alcohol and tobacco are even considered "fine" in society.
Beer+hockey=good times

Reactions: BM14

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Oh it most certainly does slow it down in everyone. People with adhd are no different. It's just slows down their mind from going 120mph to the speed limit.
this is speculation in that it's only been shown to treat ADHD anecdotally, but more clinical studies are said to be on the way

To confirm your point, cannabis does slow our physical reflex response, they've already proven this in the lab.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
From my experience, it certainly isn't a performance enhancer but it definitely helps with recovery and sleeping.
Cannibus make people hyper aware of all the variables. It might help with things like goaltending but it might hurt if you are a playmaker.
In certain sports related activities, people swear by it. As an example, there are a ton of Jiu Jitsu practitioners that smoke before they roll on the mats.
CBD is also a great anti-inflammatory. Definitely helps with sports recovery

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Altering your mind is bad habit regardless if it's alcohol, pot or other drugs. The cleaner the better.
How are you altering your mind when your body has specific receptors for cannabis? Are you altering your mind when you drink an energy drink?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
No it’s not. We’re talking about marijuana. Not cocaine.
Guys will start smoking pot, then magic mushrooms, cocaine, heroine. Obiously not all of em but a significant enough that itd be a HUGE black eye for the nhl

Reactions: dim jim

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Guys will start smoking pot, then magic mushrooms, cocaine, heroine. Obiously not all of em but a significant enough that itd be a HUGE black eye for the nhl
Players used cocaine for years prior to games and during intermissions. They aren't going to use downers during a game.

The pills team dr's are prescribing have much more potential to be a 'gateway' than anything else.

Reactions: bukwas

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I can't see the silly anti- marijuana laws/campaigns lasting much longer. It looks like they're about to meet their long overdue fate.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Misinformation rampant in this thread. Some of y'all need to crawl out of the war on drugs era and do some actual research.
For example, the "mind slowing" effects of cannabis have been shown to be greatly exaggerated. Even minor alcohol consumption (which I would imagine many owners likely engage in with their players) shows more dramatic effects, both while consuming and post consuming.

I would be willing to wager pretty heavily that there are many players that actively consume right now. Given what I've heard, many of them regularly consume far more harmful substances, both from a overall health and playing ability perspective. It would be interesting if someone could do a long term study that showed road trip performance and drug availability in different cities. I think there would be a correlation.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I haven't met anyone who hadn't tried alcohol before trying cannabis for the first time. Alcohol therefore is clearly the gateway drug.

Personally I cannot see the line from cannabis and shrooms to heroine and cocaine. There's absolutely nothing similar about them, at all.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Players used cocaine for years prior to games and during intermissions. They aren't going to use downers during a game.

The pills team dr's are prescribing have much more potential to be a 'gateway' than anything else.
I really doubt that :shakehead

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
I haven't met anyone who hadn't tried alcohol before trying cannabis for the first time. Alcohol therefore is clearly the gateway drug.

Personally I cannot see the line from cannabis and shrooms to heroine and cocaine. There's absolutely nothing similar about them, at all.
The junky lifestyle leads to them once theyre “in”

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
PRobably a horrible idea. Pot is a gateway drug and dont want a bunch of weird drug addicts after a couple a years
There's actually quite a bit of emerging research that shows the exact opposite- cannabinoids have been shown to interact with the receptors in the brain believed to be responsible for causing part of the addiction feedback cycle.
(PDF) Involvement of cannabinoid CB2 receptor...

Here's another canadian research study that shows addicts successfully using cannabis to substitute for much more deleterious substances:
https://www.ijdp.org/article/S0955-3959(17)30013-0/abstract

No need to be ill informed in today's day and age with google at your fingertips! It doesn't make sense to espouse non-factual positions just because you're too lazy to look things up.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

I doubt it. Marijuana culture is pretty prevalent in other sports, particularly the NBA and NFL ( looking at you Rasheed Wallace and Ricky Williams) and many others. Not many of them turn into full blown hard drug users, though you do have scandals like the one with OBJ and the coke.

Baseball maybe the exception since some of the most epic teams like the Pirates & Mets were partying hard, but Baseball is much different sport then Hockey, Basketball and Football.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
The junky lifestyle leads to them once theyre “in”
Yikes.
I see that we will need to start at the beginning for you. May i suggest this Kursegatz video:

This video shows why, even if you despise everything about Cannabis, it is a good policy decision to legalize and control it. The effect that you are talking about specifically exists because cannabis is sold by black market dealers who often push people towards their more profitable and chemically addictive products. Legalization and control of the product will completely eliminate that subset of the market.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011

I'm a daily user (both recreationally and for a while medicinally) for about 15 years and have been smoking for over 20. I hardly drink any alcohol as I feel terrible the next day, I work out every day, I have no health issues outside of old hockey injuries (which weed has helped me recover narcotic free after surgeries) and have held down the same really good job for 11yrs. I've have never touched another drug outside of Magic Mushrooms once in high school when I was 15 (37 now).

I played with a lot of hockey players that ended up playing in random professional leagues in Canada and Europe who were heavy weed smokers. The ones with drinking problems hardly ever made it. I don't think you realize how many hockey players are hardcore party animals, I know in Ottawa it was pretty well known that a few of the star players were habitual cocaine users in the past (as witnessed by many in bars).

Reactions: elmaco

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca
There is a smell, but very localized. Source: I have one

It depends on what's in the cartridge. Distillate with terpenes added back in will smell kinda like weed, but you can buy stuff that just smells like the stuff out of an e-cig. The terps are inportant though. Heck, you can buy the raw unflaoured distillate, fill your own carts with it and flavour it however you like. WAY cheaper than the pre-loaded carts. :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad