Could the NHLPA allow players to use marijuana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Since I've never heard of an NHL player testing positive for pot I am going to assume they either don't test for it, or the testing process is a joke.

I would wager that within the next 8-10 years it will be legal (or decriminalized) in all U.S states and will be prescribed for all sorts of things in at least the NBA and NHL.

Most likely they don't test it. Weed stays in your system longer than any other drug or PED. A couple finnish NHL players tested positive for it in Finnish national team tests.

Dooney

Jan 12, 2005
On the move
they should

weed is the best and it really doesn't have any debilitating side effects other than maybe watching too many youtube videos sometimes

imagine if fans could vape up thc oil in the arena, everyone would feel so good and the goal music would sound incredible
It actually is very easy to vape the oil now in the arena. You just buy the electronic battery with the oil cartridge of your choice and done deal. They sell like hot cakes. Easy to use while driving, but you should not. No smell, no fuss. All the shops sell them.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
PRobably a horrible idea. Pot is a gateway drug and dont want a bunch of weird drug addicts after a couple a years

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
How is weed of any help in playing hockey?

I could see amphetamines and cocaine enhancing (slightly) your performance, but only for a limited amount of time before it does the opposite.But weed?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Most likely they don't test it. Weed stays in your system longer than any other drug or PED. A couple finnish NHL players tested positive for it in Finnish national team tests.
They don't, NHL is the only major north american sports league that doesn't test for recreational weed.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
How is weed of any help in playing hockey?

I could see amphetamines and cocaine enhancing (slightly) your performance, but only for a limited amount of time before it does the opposite.But weed?
I don't think the implication here is that players are going to get stoned and then go and play a hockey game... lol

The more likely scenario here would be players using marijuana in various forms (oils, vapor, pill, edible, etc.) to manage pain, rather than using opioids.

Or using it recreationally in the way that they already use alcohol. I imagine in the locker room after a team wins the Stanley Cup... Bottles of Champagne and Bud light aluminum bottles... pan to the corner where a small circle of players in the corner are smoking "Stanley Kush" out of a Stanley Cup shaped bong.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
It actually is very easy to vape the oil now in the arena. You just buy the electronic battery with the oil cartridge of your choice and done deal. They sell like hot cakes. Easy to use while driving, but you should not. No smell, no fuss. All the shops sell them.

There is a smell, but very localized. Source: I have one

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
I'm disagreeing with your assertion that it slows the mental processes down (in everyone).
Oh it most certainly does slow it down in everyone. People with adhd are no different. It's just slows down their mind from going 120mph to the speed limit.

Reactions: Alicat

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I really want to see this happen. :dm:
I'm trying to think of which players would be most likely to be in that circle. On Pittsburgh I could imagine Kessel, Rust, Oleksiak, and Dumoulin toking up. Cullen is the old head who hits it once and falls asleep in his La-Z Boy. lol

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Oh it most certainly does slow it down in everyone. People with adhd are no different. It's just slows down their mind from going 120mph to the speed limit.
I believe the cannabinoid receptors are similar to serotonin and norepinephrine in others, in that an increase can lead to pleasure and relaxation to some and can overwhelm others. I don't think it's as simple as saying it slows down the transmisson of neurons. It could, but I'm not sure.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not sure if that’s the same article I read the other day but Riley cote talked about it and I’m sure they are loving him now.

Essentially they test for it, but nothing ever happens if you fail other than you might have to take a treatment course.

I could really careless. As long as people aren’t getting high and driving what do I care? I’ve known people who have taken it legally for pain and do think you are better off then taking oxy and all those other horse pills.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
My take is that if it is legal, then league shouldn't be enforcing their own morals. Same as with alcohol - it causes much more social problems and suffering than cannabis does, but that is no reason to disallow champagne in the dressing room after winning the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: olli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad