Could the NHLPA allow players to use marijuana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Without even going into any kind of argument regarding Marijuana in particular, I've never understood why professional sports leagues test for recreational drugs. All it does is tarnish the reputation of your players in the eyes of at least some of your fans.

Because some recreational drugs can arguably give you an edge. Athletes have been accused of using things like adderal, Ritalin and speed during games for those reasons.

Reactions: DaveG

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Well I mean players should not get to the practices/games high on the same level as they shouldn't come drunk to those.

If they need it for medical reason they could just smoke up some CBD.

On their free time sure they could smoke an ounce a night for all I care.

Co-signed. My exact thoughts.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Without even going into any kind of argument regarding Marijuana in particular, I've never understood why professional sports leagues test for recreational drugs. All it does is tarnish the reputation of your players in the eyes of at least some of your fans.
I'm going to start taking ephedrine, recreationally. And recreational steroids. I'm sure it gets you a mental high after a workout when you think of all the muscle you've gained.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Once it’s completely legal this fall in Canada how can the NHLPA not allow it? Can the NHLPA dictate what’s an acceptable vice? It’s not like they could ban players from drinking.
Because they ultimately work under a corporation and represent that brand.
Very cut and dry.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com

Few reasons....part of it is legacy rules, as it is only within the last 3-5 years that Marijuana has gained some broad cultural 'okness'. War against drugs in the 80's and 90's and even into the 2000's pushed the league to make them a thing they did not want their players to use.

Another good reason to have them on the list is that not all states allow Marijuana (and other rec drugs) , and federally it is still illegal. Last thing you want is for your players to get busted as they go from state to state because of ambiguous rules and laws. Best to keep it illegal in your sport until it is actually legal.

People really get tripped (hah!) up by the fact that just because it is not illegal in some states that it is actually legal. Marijuana use is actually still illegal in California, Colorado, ext....its just the states have made it no longer illegal on their books so their police will not come after you for it. It is still illegal though.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
It's not a PED and gonna be legal everywhere in Canada and legal in some states. Obviously if a player playing a game while he's baked as f*** that would be a problem but if he's doing it on his own time nobody should give a shit.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
To be honest I feel like I play sports better when I’m high. I play goalie in soccer it’s just weird just like when I’m high I know where to be and everything feels so slow and I can react to it faster.

ive played about 800 soccer matches over many years mostly as a left defender......only one i can say i smoked.

it didnt work for me at all.....but to each their own.

after the match.......sure have some fun, relax.....enjoy some company.....but on pitch i have to be stone cold sober,

im better straight while playing .......unless its golf or tennis........then bring on some puff and beers...but thats a bit different kind of sports

but i can see what youre saying being a keeper lol

Reactions: StevenB

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Progressive Canadian culture and thinking spreads... :thumbu:

I look forward to seeing some tangible results from legalization including improved understanding of how THC, CBD, and other substances in cannabis affect human athletic performance. The anecdotal evidence is already there. Estimates in NBA/NFL are upwards of 80-90% of players use cannabis (including during games). Again the big difference will be that now doctors, scientists, and pharmacologists can study this openly and seriously. Athletes can get more efficient and predictable benefits without hiding anything from the organization.

I can say that regarding pain management, anxiety, & insomnia it is a wonderful substance. Considering recovery after a late night mens-league game what could be better than something natural that stimulates your appetite, then contributes to an extremely restful and good nights sleep?

Reactions: njdevils1982

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I have to agree, unless you can find a way a drug enhances a players ability all sports should not outright ban them.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Marijuana is a depressant just like alcohol and opiates. It is less harmful, but there are many ill effects that would negatively affect players performance if they indulged. I know, Michael Phelps hits the bong, but seriously, CBD topical ointments and tonics with no psychoactive properties are probably equally as effective in treating pain, if not more effective.

Can't imagine GM's and Coaches would embrace their players getting stoned.

It is a depressant? Never knew that actually. Most people seem to very giggly on it tho

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Not a lawyer, but in Canada drug testing your employees is a violation of your charter right to privacy. The exception being for safety reasons. So can Canadian teams test for a legal substance that would be really hard to prove in court as a safety issue? Can the NHLPA forfeit a player's right to privacy on their behalf? Am I wrong in thinking that doing testing for a legal substance to maintain a businesses' image would do horribly in a Canadian courtroom?

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Don't worry.. Once the entire government gets lobbying money and national tax from weed, any negative stigma will dissapear.

It's bad because Uncle Sam isn't collecting right now on a national level.

Oh yeah? Have you heard of the no smoking what so ever in public bill that's being passed in Halifax ?

Now that's a little over the top.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
From my experience, it certainly isn't a performance enhancer but it definitely helps with recovery and sleeping.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I've been smoking CBD bud for years now and it's pretty easily better than any prescribed or over the counter drug for pain I've ever taken. No psychoactive effect. I'd rather have an athlete I've invested millions into using CBD in any form vs taking some pain meds that mess with their heads. If cannabis isn't even considered by the players union then I seriously question them when we know almost every player drinks and some smoke tobacco.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Since I've never heard of an NHL player testing positive for pot I am going to assume they either don't test for it, or the testing process is a joke.

I would wager that within the next 8-10 years it will be legal (or decriminalized) in all U.S states and will be prescribed for all sorts of things in at least the NBA and NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad