Could the NHLPA allow players to use marijuana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I've have my MM prescription for more than a decade now, and while it definitely does have its benefits, it can have downsides too and I'm not sure the NHLPA or a family friendly league would want to be sending out that message.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
Well I mean players should not get to the practices/games high on the same level as they shouldn't come drunk to those.

If they need it for medical reason they could just smoke up some CBD.

On their free time sure they could smoke an ounce a night for all I care.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I'd imagine the stance the NHLPA takes is whatever it's membership wants. Can't imagine a group of 20 and 30 somethings being militant anti-pot people.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
I don't get why not...it doesn't give players an advantage on the ice and could really cut down on the rampant amount of painkillers and alcohol being abused.
To be honest I feel like I play sports better when I’m high. I play goalie in soccer it’s just weird just like when I’m high I know where to be and everything feels so slow and I can react to it faster.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Do they even test for it? Cant remember the last (if there was ever one) player who failed a test for a recreational drug.

Devin Setoguchi openly said that he did a lot of cocaine when he was on the Jets. Was never suspended/never failed a test.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I've have my MM prescription for more than a decade now, and while it definitely does have its benefits, it can have downsides too and I'm not sure the NHLPA or a family friendly league would want to be sending out that message.
Canada and a lot of states have decided that it's family friendly enough to be legal for adults.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Once it’s completely legal this fall in Canada how can the NHLPA not allow it? Can the NHLPA dictate what’s an acceptable vice? It’s not like they could ban players from drinking.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Once it’s completely legal this fall in Canada how can the NHLPA not allow it? Can the NHLPA dictate what’s an acceptable vice? It’s not like they could ban players from drinking.
I mean, plenty of employers require a drug test and will continue to do so even after it's legal. Being legal in Canada won't have much of an effect on that.

Not that I think the NHL really cares about players smoking weed. It's cocaine that caused PR issues in the past and the one most damaging to players.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I mean, plenty of employers require a drug test and will continue to do so even after it's legal. Being legal in Canada won't have much of an effect on that.

Not that I think the NHL really cares about players smoking weed. It's cocaine that caused PR issues in the past and the one most damaging to players.

I don't think those companies will be able to make testing for marijuana legal once it's not longer a banned substance. You can't fire people for drinking alcohol outside of working hours.

Reactions: Eichittelharthlin

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
No, the NHL doesn't care at this point. No point in making it official because it would just cause problems with the States.

Your legal pot buying data could get you banned from the U.S., lawyers warn

I am against the NHL allowing it for this reason. It's not relevant that the individual states legalized it. It's still an entry bannable offense under US immigration law. No conviction necessary. All it takes is just an admission and *poof* an entry ban is imposed on the spot.

That takes 6 months or more to correct but it can be permanent.

Even a picture on someone's cell phone is enough to do it. If a player travels with another smoker and the other person has a pic of the two of them on their phone smoking... That could be enough. supermodel Kate Moss' US modeling career ended due to a mere picture. Lifetime work visa revocation.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
You absolutely can be. Especially when social media is involved.

I think that depends on what you're doing, if you're trashed in public and putting your company in a bad light that's a different scenario. I don't think posting a photo of yourself having a beer after work and getting fired for it is legal. I'm sure the lawyers will have lots of fun sorting this out.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I think that depends on what you're doing, if you're trashed in public and putting your company in a bad light that's a different scenario. I don't think posting a photo of yourself having a beer after work and getting fired for it is legal. I'm sure the lawyers will have lots of fun sorting this out.
It is legal, plenty of teachers have gotten fired for posting casual picks of them out with friends drinking. I'm not saying I agree with it but it happens.

I feel like we're arguing for nothing though as I don't think the NHL cares about marijuana right now as is.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Well if half your market is coo with it, it makes the "family friendly" calculation a lot more lenient.

Just because it became legal doesn't make it family friendly. You understand that, right? There is a huge difference. In fact, the drunken fools at sporting events is a major reason I've heard to why my friends don't take their children. In a league that is trying to attract as many fans as possible they should be aware most families are not pot smoking families and even the parents that do, don't particularity want their children smoking either.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Just because it became legal doesn't make it family friendly. You understand that, right? There is a huge difference. In fact, the drunken fools at sporting events is a major reason I've heard to why my friends don't take their children. In a league that is trying to attract as many fans as possible they should be aware most families are not pot smoking families and even the parents that do, don't particularity want their children smoking either.

In 2015 20% of Canadians admitted to using marijuana in the last year and more than 30% said they would use it if it was legal. Those numbers have only increased since then in 2015 when 59% supported full legalization. I think you might be underestimating how popular it is, even among families with children.

I doubt you'll see a smoking area anytime soon at an arena but I don't think the NHL wants to make this an issue.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
they should

weed is the best and it really doesn't have any debilitating side effects other than maybe watching too many youtube videos sometimes

imagine if fans could vape up thc oil in the arena, everyone would feel so good and the goal music would sound incredible

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I understand that people don't want to take their kids to a game where there's drunken antics and fools, but the league has pretty clearly sided with the drinkers on this one. It would be surprising if the NHL took a hardline stance on this when their stance on booze is full acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad