News Article: Could the Habs offersheet Kadri?

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
We could, and I do understand its the Leafs and it's an opportunity to screw with them, but there are things I wouldn't want to do to others because I wouldn't want that happen to me.
We could play like this and offer sheet Kadri but I have a feeling when the time is right they will come back and bite us harder.

Analyzer*

For it to be worth while in the slightest, we'd have to offer enough that the leafs might not match, which, in turn would cost us multiple firsts likely. Also, Kadri has to accept it first. You can also expect an offer sheet back.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
What's to stop Toronto from offer sheeting PK for $8M next year? PK and the Habs haven't started talking yet and this could easily drag into the off season. Add to that every team tampers and they could let PK know they'd love to pay him to come play for his home town team.

Again, pass and won't happen. Kadri isn't worht the risk, either one or the money you'd have to offer to get him or hurt the Leafs. Karma is a ***** and you're better off leaving it alone. Plus, I hate him.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
When is this offersheet nonsense going to end? I understand it is a slow season and people need something to talk about but it has to make some sense. Offersheets are bad for the game as they lead to escalation of salaries and the NHL is not in great financial shape, a few clubs aside. And when was the last time the habs did sign someone to an offersheet? I can't even remember that! And this GM, who has clearly shown his vision by shying away from big, long term contracts, is even less likely to offersheet anyone, particularly a player who does not really fill a need and would be seriously overpaid.
With a hard salary cap in place salaries aren't going to "escalate" because as money is spent on one player, it becomes unavailable for others.

What has this GM shown, really. He has a habit of saying one thing and doing the complete opposite, not sure how this would hurt his reputation. I wouldn't worry about the people who fawn over him because they will dismiss it as "an opportunity to good to pass up on". No harm, no foul.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Actually Eller would be the worst one to move. He is the only physical center we have right now. The most logical would be Desharnais but then adding Kadri has the potential to block Galchenyuk's path for an even longer period of time.

Upgrades are nice but let's upgrade those positions where we need help and lack depth... like right wing.

1 - I meant capwise. It indeed makes no sense to move Eller to make room for Kadri from a lineup perspective.

2 - If Eller is in the top-6, then DD isn't. So DD isn't a valid answer.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
We could, and I do understand its the Leafs and it's an opportunity to screw with them, but there are things I wouldn't want to do to others because I wouldn't want that happen to me.
We could play like this and offer sheet Kadri but I have a feeling when the time is right they will come back and bite us harder.

Whether we did offer sheet Kadri or not. IMO, I don't think it would make a difference. If another team felt one of our young players were "offer sheet worthy". Do you think they will look back and say "Hmmmm Bergevin was nice and didn't offer sheet Kadri, maybe we should give him a break and leave his players alone"

All the GM's know the rule. If they weren't able to get their players signed, then they should be prepared to see them get or even sign an offer sheet.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
What's to stop Toronto from offer sheeting PK for $8M next year? PK and the Habs haven't started talking yet and this could easily drag into the off season. Add to that every team tampers and they could let PK know they'd love to pay him to come play for his home town team.

Again, pass and won't happen. Kadri isn't worht the risk, either one or the money you'd have to offer to get him or hurt the Leafs. Karma is a ***** and you're better off leaving it alone. Plus, I hate him.

PK hates the Leafs, so I highly doubt he'd consider them his "Home town team". :laugh:

I see your point though, but what's to stop 29 other teams (including the Leafs) from offer sheeting PK? The bottom line is, if MB can't sign PK by the time he's a free agent. Then he'll have to deal with the fact that someone might take a run at him.

I will agree with you and say pass as well. I don't think Kadri has done enough to warrant the type of offer it would take for the Leafs to let him go.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
It's no collusion it's that the costs outweigh the benefits. This avenue of free agency is only available to prevent owners from keeping players in limbo indefinitely . I would guess absolutely nobody has Kadri on their radar for an offer sheet.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
PK hates the Leafs, so I highly doubt he'd consider them his "Home town team". :laugh:

I see your point though, but what's to stop 29 other teams (including the Leafs) from offer sheeting PK? The bottom line is, if MB can't sign PK by the time he's a free agent. Then he'll have to deal with the fact that someone might take a run at him.

I will agree with you and say pass as well. I don't think Kadri has done enough to warrant the type of offer it would take for the Leafs to let him go.

He is from Toronto, so literally, the Leafs are his hometown team. As for whether he'd play for them, hopefully we'll never find out but stranger things have happened.

Nothing is stopping 29 other teams from doing the same except 29 other teams have never offer sheeted a single player before. If Habs screw the Leafs by offer sheeting Kadri than the can justify it to the other teams owners by getting revenge. We've seen this before and the Leafs would have the additional reason that PK is a budding superstar worth the picks they'd lose for him. Kadri. Probably not so much.

onemorecup*

To Toronto:

Lars Eller + Nathan Beaulieu

To Montreal:

Nazem Kadri

Fair for both teams!

did you fall off a bike writing this

I dont trade those 2 for Kadri , no fken way

how many more one dimensional softies do you want

Eller is a 2 way beast , untouchable

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
If only Bergevin didn't re-sign DD and pursue Briere. I'd seriously rather have Kadri because he at least engages physically sometimes, even if it is only against guys his own size or smaller.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
He is from Toronto, so literally, the Leafs are his hometown team. As for whether he'd play for them, hopefully we'll never find out but stranger things have happened.

Nothing is stopping 29 other teams from doing the same except 29 other teams have never offer sheeted a single player before. If Habs screw the Leafs by offer sheeting Kadri than the can justify it to the other teams owners by getting revenge. We've seen this before and the Leafs would have the additional reason that PK is a budding superstar worth the picks they'd lose for him. Kadri. Probably not so much.
If he does go to Toronto to play because we didn't keep him, it'll because of the money(i.e we didn't offer enough and Toronto won the bidding war) and perhaps family a distant second, not because he "likes" them.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
It's safer to do the offersheets to teams which might be cash-strapped moreso than cap-strapped, like the Sens, say, instead of the Leafs. I'd rather offersheet Cowen, therefore, at least there would be some miniscule chance of actually getting the player. You wouldn't get Kadri. The Leafs can trade or bury Liles if they want, free up another $3M there, for example, they aren't going to be stuck to match on Kadri. And they have ample money to engage in revenge attempts down the road.

Exactly ... and it's going to be tough enough as it is for MB next year without locking up an additional $5M on Kadri. If the Leafs don't re-sign Kessel, they have Kessel, Bolland, and Phaneuf coming off the books for $15.275M while MB is in a squeeze to get Subban, Emelin, and Eller back. That all aside from losing a 1st and 3rd pick.

An offer sheet to Kadri just ain't going to happen.

Last edited:

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
He doesn't fit the mold of a character guy either. He's a bit of a headcase, as a matter of fact.

If only Bergevin didn't re-sign DD and pursue Briere. I'd seriously rather have Kadri because he at least engages physically sometimes, even if it is only against guys his own size or smaller.

When I think of Kadri and being engaged physically, I can only think of this delightful moment:

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
It's rare player are worth the contracts + the picks lost in offersheets cases and with Toronto homeboy Subban coming from a small contract, alienating a rich team isn't the best way to go.

Don't get me wrong though Kadri is a good player, but not really a need with a guys like Eller and Galchenyuk coming.

Locks

May 28, 2005
With a hard salary cap in place salaries aren't going to "escalate" because as money is spent on one player, it becomes unavailable for others.

What has this GM shown, really. He has a habit of saying one thing and doing the complete opposite, not sure how this would hurt his reputation. I wouldn't worry about the people who fawn over him because they will dismiss it as "an opportunity to good to pass up on". No harm, no foul.

We don't know how it will work under the new CBA, but under the old one salaries had escalated and giving long term front loaded contracts was one of the ways to "achieve" that.
As for Bergevin, he has shied away from giving fat, long term contracts to players he had interest in such as Vinny and Clowe.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
What I'm truly interested in is if the media slanders him and suggests he's greedy like they did with Subban.

jughead42*

I know the Habs have a sick fetish for smaller players with fancy stick handling skills, but it doesn't make much sense. If the term is ugly enough on that five million the Leafs could walk, but probably not. You just stick the Leafs with a bad contact that could end up being a good contract in a few years and invite retaliation when somebody like Galchenyuk is ready to make some coin.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
To Toronto:

Lars Eller + Nathan Beaulieu

To Montreal:

Nazem Kadri

Fair for both teams!

710.gif

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I know the Habs have a sick fetish for smaller players with fancy stick handling skills, but it doesn't make much sense. If the term is ugly enough on that five million the Leafs could walk, but probably not. You just stick the Leafs with a bad contact that could end up being a good contract in a few years and invite retaliation when somebody like Galchenyuk is ready to make some coin.

If all goes well, any team would be nuts to NOT offer sheet Galchenyuk if they get that chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad