News Article: Could the Habs offersheet Kadri?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It's futile to tender an offer sheet to a RFA when the team holding his rights can easily match it. Besides, while Kadri is talented, he wouldn't meet the Habs' most pressing needs.

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011
It's futile to tender an offer sheet to a RFA when the team holding his rights can easily match it. Besides, while Kadri is talented, he wouldn't meet the Habs' most pressing needs.

Easily match it is a big word for a team that has only 4.9M$ Under the cap and still has Cody Franson to resign. David Clarksson's contract might just bite the Leafs in the ass sooner then they expected.

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011
Low 20s draft picks versus Kadri + infuriating the Leafs??

No brainier.

We're probably looking at 4x 1st round picks. Let's see some of the last low 20s we drafted...

2013 - McCarron
2010 - Tinordi
2007 - Pacioretty

You sure you are ready to give up on these players + another pick? For Kadri who had what? Half a good season so far in his career? (Not saying he doesn't have potential, but still...).

And yes I believe that if you want to make an offer sheet with the serious intention of drawing Kadri out of Toronto it'll need to be beyond 5M$.

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011
We're probably looking at 4x 1st round picks. Let's see some of the last low 20s we drafted...

And yes I believe that if you want to make an offer sheet with the serious intention of drawing Kadri out of Toronto it'll need to be beyond 5M$.

Actually that's not exact, I misread the wiki page :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offer_sheet

I was lookign at the first column instead of the 2nd. It'd be more around the likes of 1st + 2nd + 3rd picks rather then 4x 1st picks.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Something along the lines of Gallagher + a 1st for Kadri I'd be okay with. They have a shortage of centers so I don't see how they could not match. As far as retaliation goes, who cares?

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011
Something along the lines of Gallagher + a 1st for Kadri I'd be okay with. They have a shortage of centers so I don't see how they could not match. As far as retaliation goes, who cares?

They have 4.9M$ under the cap and has also Cody Franson to resign. Both wants more then 3M$ per. If you throw in a 5M$+ offer they might match. But then they would have to trade Kessel or Phaneuf before the season start so they can roll Under the cap. (Could always trade someone else too, I was just pointing out 2 potable UFA).

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
They have 4.9M$ under the cap and has also Cody Franson to resign. Both wants more then 3M$ per. If you throw in a 5M$+ offer they might match. But then they would have to trade Kessel or Phaneuf before the season start so they can roll Under the cap. (Could always trade someone else too, I was just pointing out 2 potable UFA).

What do you mean they "could always trade someone else, too" instead of trading Kessel or Phaneuf?

No more hanging around Habsterix for you, you're becoming undone, lol.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
A point often forgotten - Players need to sign and agree to the offer sheet.

If Kadri wants to play here and will sign an offer sheet, I'd never say no to a young, highly skilled player who seemed capable of top-6 responsibilities. Do whatever you can to make room for him for the right price.

If they attempt to sign our players to offer sheets; good riddance to the players that would sign with the Leafs.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

2013 - McCarron
2010 - Tinordi
2007 - Pacioretty

You sure you are ready to give up on these players + another pick? For Kadri who had what? Half a good season so far in his career? (Not saying he doesn't have potential, but still...).

What the hell are you rambling about? It's not 4 first rounders we're talking about, it's one.

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011
What the hell are you rambling about? It's not 4 first rounders we're talking about, it's one.

Maybe you want to look at the next post? Mr. Captain Obvious.

What do you mean they "could always trade someone else, too" instead of trading Kessel or Phaneuf?

No more hanging around Habsterix for you, you're becoming undone, lol.

I meant, I suggested Kessel and Phaneuf because they might be UFA but they could trade anyone else to free up cap space if necessary.

A point often forgotten - Players need to sign and agree to the offer sheet.

If Kadri wants to play here and will sign an offer sheet, I'd never say no to a young, highly skilled player who seemed capable of top-6 responsibilities. Do whatever you can to make room for him for the right price.

If they attempt to sign our players to offer sheets; good riddance to the players that would sign with the Leafs.

If you make an hostile offer sheet, it won,t be for the right price, you will have to overpay, otehrwise the team who owns the right of said player will match your offer (see Shea Weber for an example).

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It would be a smart tactic for any rival team to use, however it's important to note that many GM's have a high level of respect for each other. Players like Subban not receiving an offer while he was an RFA will just show to prove that the Habs likely won't be offering RFA's contract(out of respect).

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
It would be a smart tactic for any rival team to use, however it's important to note that many GM's have a high level of respect for each other. Players like Subban not receiving an offer while he was an RFA will just show to prove that the Habs likely won't be offering RFA's contract(out of respect).

I heard whispers that the Flyers tried to OS Subban twice, but he refused to sign both times.

Now I can't actually prove it, and the Flyers are well...the Flyers, so it doesn't really count in terms of respect. :laugh:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
It's safer to do the offersheets to teams which might be cash-strapped moreso than cap-strapped, like the Sens, say, instead of the Leafs. I'd rather offersheet Cowen, therefore, at least there would be some miniscule chance of actually getting the player. You wouldn't get Kadri. The Leafs can trade or bury Liles if they want, free up another $3M there, for example, they aren't going to be stuck to match on Kadri. And they have ample money to engage in revenge attempts down the road.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
That would be a sure fire way to kiss Subban goodbye...

Could you imagine his reaction after getting lowballed on the "bridge" only to see GMMB then offer up a huge payday to some other 1 st year RFA.

We couldn't be that stupid, could we ?

PricePkPatch*

You know what ****ing sucks? That this offseason is killing me and it's probably the shortest one we'll see in a long time. This is ****ing brutal.

For me, the offseason started the 7th of May. So I have a shorter offseason.. Let's say, if we get in the finals :naughty:

dreamingofdrouin*

If we did this...I would make sure Subban is signed up long term first. But I still don't think I would do it. And I'm 99% sure Bergevin wouldn't. Wouldn't show much character on his part....the offer sheet is thought of as a grease ball move.

We would never get kadri....anything beyond the leafs reach would be an idiotic overpayment and anything within it would be matched...the most damage we would do is force them to maybe not resign franson and trade a less wanted part for nothing...liles most likely.

That damage to them would not be worth the damage it would do to bergy's reputation, (closing doors with other gm's) and the birth of potential pushback from the leafs in a year or two or forever.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Easily match it is a big word for a team that has only 4.9M$ Under the cap and still has Cody Franson to resign. David Clarksson's contract might just bite the Leafs in the ass sooner then they expected.

Toronto would find a way to retain Kadri, easily or not.

What would it do to the Habs' cap? And how would they be able to retain Subban when he becomes a UFA? Not to mention the loss of draft picks and the flexibility to plug other holes. Bad idea, Issacar.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Not a fan of offer sheets.

1-you overpay just like UFA's
2-you still give up big assets(1st round picks)
3-you piss off taht team and others so your RFA's are at risk the following year

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Kadri is a stud imo, definitely worth the picks required to make a push, however, there is no chance the leafs don't match, their cap problems aren't really a problem at all. They'd maneuver their way through this without issue, I don't see the point in it tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad