Could Miro Heiskanen win the Norris already?

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
If you don't like to read about Miro, close the thread or ignore it. I couldn't care less what you neckbeards think. More Miro news and hype the better. Best finnish d-man by far aaand better than Dalin ainec

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
He’s been great to start this year. I don’t know how he’s managed to pick up six points when the rest of the team has been horrid.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Imagine if Heiskanen was playing in Canadian team with those minutes and like he is playing now. Imagine all the threads then. Even better if he was Canadian

If Heiskanen was Canadian the coverage would be relentless. :laugh:

He's not, though, so outside of brief glimpses or games against Canadian teams he'll just keep churning out great games relatively unnoticed.

Hopefully he gets another chance to be showcased at the All Star Game, and Dallas (finally) has the winter classic this year as well.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
I understand the hype from the “Finnish Five” posters. Having lived in and played hockey in Finland, there is a real sense of ‘underdog that wants to make a name for themselves’ from Finns.

we’ve seen it many times before:

Barkov is better than MacKinnon (oops)
Laine is better than Matthews (oops)
Heiskanen is better than Dahlin (yikes)

it’s mostly because the overhyping from Finnish media. I saw it with my own 2 eyes while I was playing there. The Finnish media goes over the top (to the point where “the Finnish Five” basically sound just like the newspapers and sports television shows in Finland). I’ve truely never seen anything like it from any other media in any other country. They go so far beyond anything reasonable. It’s why we see it with many Finnish posters right here on this very board. It’s how it is in Finland

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
I haven't really read the posts in this thread and have no idea how he's playing right now but after watching him play last year in the postseason, I became convinced this kid will win a Norris within the next 4 years. I'm a big fan of his.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I understand the hype from the “Finnish Five” posters. Having lived in and played hockey in Finland, there is a real sense of ‘underdog that wants to make a name for themselves’ from Finns.

it’s mostly because the overhyping from Finnish media. I saw it with my own 2 eyes while I was playing there. The Finnish media goes over the top (to the point where “the Finnish Five” basically sound just like the newspapers and sports television shows in Finland). I’ve truely never seen anything like it from any other media in any other country. They go so far beyond anything reasonable. It’s why we see it with many Finnish posters right here on this very board. It’s how it is in Finland

:laugh:

I don't remember many Barkov/MacK comparisons so I'll have to take your word for it.

As for Laine/Matthews, from the WJC leading up to the entry draft it wasn't just Finnish media pumping Laine's tires.......media here was doing it too, speculating whether or not Laine (or Puljujaarvi for that matter) could bump Matthews for the top spot at the draft. Didn't pan out that way, of course, and there's a clear gap now between the two - and especially with JP who seems to have dropped off the radar completely.

As for Heiskanen and Dahlin I've said about as much as I can on the comparison. Anyone who gives a smarmy "AINEC" response (on EITHER side) is either biased or lying. :laugh:

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
:laugh:

I don't remember many Barkov/MacK comparisons so I'll have to take your word for it.

As for Laine/Matthews, from the WJC leading up to the entry draft it wasn't just Finnish media pumping Laine's tires.......media here was doing it too, speculating whether or not Laine (or Puljujaarvi for that matter) could bump Matthews for the top spot at the draft. Didn't pan out that way, of course, and there's a clear gap now between the two - and especially with JP who seems to have dropped off the radar completely.

As for Heiskanen and Dahlin I've said about as much as I can on the comparison. Anyone who gives a smarmy "AINEC" response (on EITHER side) is either biased or lying. :laugh:
The media was asking if laine could bump Matthews off the top in the same way the media was asking if Eichel was going to bump McDavid off his throne at the top of the draft. It was merely to create drama and draft excitement. Nothing else. Same way they did it with Hedman and Duchene as possible first overall candidates that could go ahead of Tavares. It was never happening. They do it every year.

The Finnish media goes way beyond this. I actually feel bad for these Finnish players that now have to live up to the ridiculous expectations the media (and now Finnish fans) put on them. It’s impossible. They can’t possibly do it. It’s a shame, really

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The media was asking if laine could bump Matthews off the top in the same way the media was asking if Eichel was going to bump McDavid off his throne at the top of the draft. It was merely to create drama and draft excitement. Nothing else. Same way they did it with Hedman and Duchene as possible first overall candidates that could go ahead of Tavares. It was never happening. They do it every year.

The Finnish media goes way beyond this. I actually feel bad for these Finnish players that now have to live up to the ridiculous expectations the media (and now Finnish fans) put on them. It’s impossible. They can’t possibly do it. It’s a shame, really

Outside of JP, I actually think there are a few highly-touted Finns in the league that are still exceeding expectations and getting attention around the league. Barkov is a marquee two-way center, Heiskanen is one of the best young d-men in the league, Rantanen is an all-star, Laine has shown flashes of dominance, Hintz is emerging as a star in Dallas. Many others to name.

You're always going to find bias in media, it's what they do. It happens in Finland just as it happens here, or in the US. They all cater to their local markets. Always going to be that way.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
If Heiskanen was Canadian the coverage would be relentless. :laugh:

He's not, though, so outside of brief glimpses or games against Canadian teams he'll just keep churning out great games relatively unnoticed.

Hopefully he gets another chance to be showcased at the All Star Game, and Dallas (finally) has the winter classic this year as well.

I don’t know, It’s not like Makar gets relentless coverage. It would be more if he played on a Canadian team, not if he was Canadian. Even Q Hughes doesn’t get that much coverage even though he plays on Vancouver

Basically he would have to play for Toronto. I’ve heard more about Sandin than any other d-man and he was sent down lol

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
I don’t know, It’s not like Makar gets relentless coverage. It would be more if he played on a Canadian team, not if he was Canadian. Even Q Hughes doesn’t get that much coverage even though he plays on Vancouver

Basically he would have to play for Toronto. I’ve heard more about Sandin than any other d-man and he was sent down lol

Toronto or Edmonton basicly

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016

Barkov > MacKinnon when factoring defense. Dahlin only has Heiskanen beat in PP points.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014

I guess, that you're not played in other nordic countries?

One sample is swedish major newspaper posting before Swe - Fin game, that Sweden tre kronor is going to destroy Finn lions

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why everyone hates Heisikanen?

Hates? He's 23rd in defense scoring. He's 16th in TOI/G among defensemen. His team stinks. Good numbers for a young defenseman. Not the building blocks for a Norris. For instance. Carlson leads him in scoring 21 to 6. He ranks 3rd in TOI vs 16th. The Caps lead their division.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Hates? He's 23rd in defense scoring. He's 16th in TOI/G among defensemen. His team stinks. Good numbers for a young defenseman. Not the building blocks for a Norris. For instance. Carlson leads him in scoring 21 to 6. He ranks 3rd in TOI vs 16th. The Caps lead their division.
Fake News

But Carlson is not a Finn. That's all that matters in this thread.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

the most common people that use AINEC are the Finnish posters...case in point top of the page ;)

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
It's like the only difference between how good Washington is and how bad Dallas has been, is because of how much better Carlson has been than Heiskanen at scoring right?
No other difference it's just
Carlson carrying the team all by himself and stuff.
People are crazy to think a player in Dallas will win a reputation award like the Norris, Hart, Vezina, Calder ,etc. Unless they put in a Gretzky/Lemieux type of season while nobody else is close. Points will always Reign supreme to the PHWA voters. Enough of which won't happen with any of the players or systems currently used in Dallas.

I don't know why people think it validates how good a player he is to win an award or even be a finalist. He's already the best defenseman in Dallas by a fair margin, and he's going to continue getting better, just be happy that it's not another Oleksiak, Nemeth, Fistric, Vishnevskiy, etc.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Barkov > MacKinnon when factoring defense. Dahlin only has Heiskanen beat in PP points.
and total points meaning he's played a big part of his team scoring more goals if Klingberg is struggling than Miro should be on the PP if he's so great offensively. Barkov being better than Mack is even worse.

Reactions: Bauer Shill

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
and total points meaning he's played a big part of his team scoring more goals if Klingberg is struggling than Miro should be on the PP if he's so great offensively. Barkov being better than Mack is even worse.

Having more PP points means most of the time, you'll have more total points, but they should have worded it that the only reason Dahlin has more points than Heiskanen is because of the PP points. Which was also true last year. Not sure what the point of making the statement was but it is what it is
As to the PP setup If only we got to dictate lines instead of the coach who keeps allowing the Klingberg, Seguin, Pavelski, Benn, Radulov unit to waste most of the PP time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kcb12345

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Having more PP points means most of the time, you'll have more total points, but they should have worded it that the only reason Dahlin has more points than Heiskanen is because of the PP points. Which was also true last year. Not sure what the point of making the statement was but it is what it is
As to the PP setup If only we got to dictate lines instead of the coach who keeps allowing the Klingberg, Seguin, Pavelski, Benn, Radulov unit to waste most of the PP time.
Klingberg has 1 PP assist this season and that's the end of his PP points so Miro in his place would easily have 4+? If it was that easy you would think your coach would simply play him on the PP instead of his offensive D-man.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Klingberg has 1 PP assist this season and that's the end of his PP points so Miro in his place would easily have 4+? If it was that easy you would think your coach would simply play him on the PP instead of his offensive D-man.
Your limited knowledge of Dallas has made this conversation a waste of my time.
but thanks for playing

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Your limited knowledge of Dallas has made this conversation a waste of my time.
but thanks for playing
As such as your limited knowledge of Dahlin being a premiere puck mover in the O-Zone he's a dominate player with open ice.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
As such as your limited knowledge of Dahlin being a premiere puck mover in the O-Zone he's a dominate player with open ice.

Who is even disagreeing with you about that? Dahlin is incredible on offense, everyone knows that. If you want to talk to people “informed” about Dahlin, go find one of the Dahlin threads.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's like the only difference between how good Washington is and how bad Dallas has been, is because of how much better Carlson has been than Heiskanen at scoring right?

That's a way you could look at it, if you really wanted to. That wasn't what I was saying. But, ok. If you think he is better than Carlson, its a free country. Enjoy

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Did you miss the part where he said our coach wastes the entire PP by throwing the Klingberg unit out there? Heiskanen's unit is the better unit but Montgomery insists on giving the Klingberg group all of the PP time basically. You'd think our coach would simply do a lot of things but he just doesn't and a lot of the stuff he does makes zero sense when it comes to offense. You should know all about poor powerplay usage with how Ristolainen was preferred by Housley over Dahlin at times last season on the 1st unit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad