Could Miro Heiskanen win the Norris already?

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Did you miss the part where he said our coach wastes the entire PP by throwing the Klingberg unit out there? Heiskanen's unit is the better unit but Montgomery insists on giving the Klingberg group all of the PP time basically. You'd think our coach would simply do a lot of things but he just doesn't and a lot of the stuff he does makes zero sense when it comes to offense. You should know all about poor powerplay usage with how Ristolainen was preferred by Housley over Dahlin at times last season on the 1st unit

Klingberg's unit is better though, in every measurable way - Goals, xGF, Scoring Chances, etc. Last year the gap was pretty wide also. Heiskanen is at least as good at even strength because he recognizes the importance of making safe productive plays and has the intelligence to do it, but on the PP Klingberg benefits from the extra ice where he can attempt creative risks knowing he has some extra help ready to bail him out in case he miscalculates. This notion that Heiskanen would outperform Klingberg on the top unit that some Stars fans keep pushing is fairly ridiculous. He had an opportunity to do that early last year and demonstrated he's just not the same class of talent as Klingberg in PP situations.

Having said that, he has proven to be vastly superior to Klingberg in all other situations, especially on defense. There are actually few players in the league that can compare to Heiskanen's defensive metrics right now. I don't think it'll be enough to get him a Norris nomination without some major increase in his point production. In time I think he'll develop that skillset though. There's nothing Klingberg does on the PP that Heiskanen can't.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I understand the hype from the “Finnish Five” posters. Having lived in and played hockey in Finland, there is a real sense of ‘underdog that wants to make a name for themselves’ from Finns.

we’ve seen it many times before:

Barkov is better than MacKinnon (oops)
Laine is better than Matthews (oops)
Heiskanen is better than Dahlin (yikes)

it’s mostly because the overhyping from Finnish media. I saw it with my own 2 eyes while I was playing there. The Finnish media goes over the top (to the point where “the Finnish Five” basically sound just like the newspapers and sports television shows in Finland). I’ve truely never seen anything like it from any other media in any other country. They go so far beyond anything reasonable. It’s why we see it with many Finnish posters right here on this very board. It’s how it is in Finland

There's no hype for Heiskanen here.

Klingberg's unit is better though, in every measurable way - Goals, xGF, Scoring Chances, etc. Last year the gap was pretty wide also. Heiskanen is at least as good at even strength because he recognizes the importance of making safe productive plays and has the intelligence to do it, but on the PP Klingberg benefits from the extra ice where he can attempt creative risks knowing he has some extra help ready to bail him out in case he miscalculates. This notion that Heiskanen would outperform Klingberg on the top unit that some Stars fans keep pushing is fairly ridiculous. He had an opportunity to do that early last year and demonstrated he's just not the same class of talent as Klingberg in PP situations.

Having said that, he has proven to be vastly superior to Klingberg in all other situations, especially on defense. There are actually few players in the league that can compare to Heiskanen's defensive metrics right now. I don't think it'll be enough to get him a Norris nomination without some major increase in his point production. In time I think he'll develop that skillset though. There's nothing Klingberg does on the PP that Heiskanen can't.

What the Hell does last year have to do with today?

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Trophies are often handed by reputation, so he's got at least a few more years of getting known, to surpass more popular options.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
What the Hell does last year have to do with today?

Last year is the most recent time we have been able to see Heiskanen with the top PP unit for any consistent period of time. In my opinion, Heiskanen hasn't made any substantial strides in the way he runs a PP unit, so I think that info is still relevant.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Dahlin is basically a full year younger than heiskanen and Dahlin is far less physically mature.

If there’s one thing I learned from the “Finnish Five” in the Matthews vs laine threads, it’s that a year of development at that age is MASSIVE.

Once Dahlin grows in to his man body, and becomes as physically mature as Miro, watch out! The age advantage Miro has will always be there, so for the first 8 or so years of their careers, heiskanen will always have that going for him, which Dahlin will have to compensate for. So far, he is more than making up for all heiskanen’s advantages (age, physical maturity)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Better in that they get more powerplay time and have had 2 nearly full 5 on 3 chances, sure. They have not been better when it comes to moving the puck or entering the zone though. Nothing but sloppiness from that group, and one of their goals came from Roope Hintz (who is now on the 2nd unit) setting up Jamie Benn off the rush. Even if they have generated more, it's certainly not because of Klingberg. I'm referring more though to this 2nd unit since it added Perry and Gurianov

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Dahlin is basically a full year younger than heiskanen and Dahlin is far less physically mature.

If there’s one thing I learned from the “Finnish Five” in the Matthews vs laine threads, it’s that a year of development at that age is MASSIVE.

Once Dahlin grows in to his man body, and becomes as physically mature as Miro, watch out! The age advantage Miro has will always be there, so for the first 8 or so years of their careers, heiskanen will always have that going for him, which Dahlin will have to compensate for. So far, he is more than making up for all heiskanen’s advantages (age, physical maturity)
What? Heiskanen is a twig. What he is doing has nothing to do with physical maturity.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's such a reputation trophy that it seems unlikely that it would be this year, but his body of work is impressive and seems to be well-viewed by the voters, so yeah, "soon" (albeit that being a couple more seasons) seems likely.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Last year is the most recent time we have been able to see Heiskanen with the top PP unit for any consistent period of time. In my opinion, Heiskanen hasn't made any substantial strides in the way he runs a PP unit, so I think that info is still relevant.

You are looking at Heiskanens rookie season and ignoring that completely.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
E99E39F5-0860-4A5C-B33B-ABCC6929C08D.png

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Little surprising considering how much Sekera has struggled at times

Tbh idk what this stat even means but apparently it's good?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Did you miss the part where he said our coach wastes the entire PP by throwing the Klingberg unit out there? Heiskanen's unit is the better unit but Montgomery insists on giving the Klingberg group all of the PP time basically. You'd think our coach would simply do a lot of things but he just doesn't and a lot of the stuff he does makes zero sense when it comes to offense. You should know all about poor powerplay usage with how Ristolainen was preferred by Housley over Dahlin at times last season on the 1st unit

To be fair to both sides, Klingberg is an entrenched offensive defenseman, and is no easy player to move off the pp.

For Dahlin last year, he basically moved Risto off the top pp unit about 3 months in. Risto has banked regular 40+ point seasons, good but not a savant.

I don't know how they would do if they switched teams.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

Little surprising considering how much Sekera has struggled at times

Tbh idk what this stat even means but apparently it's good?

Yea, but a team having multiple pairings at the top(one featuring fedun) might indicate a team's play-style caters to a stat (unintentionally of course)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He won't have the point totals to win this season or the league-wide recognition, but it's nice to see him getting noticed by some people:

An early look at the top candidates for the 2019-20 Norris...

"Miro Heiskanen, Dallas Stars:
With John Klingberg struggling to start the season (and now injured), Heiskanen has stepped up, delivering excellent two-way numbers to lead the team’s regulars in expected goals and actual goals. Those are in relatively tough minutes too, and Heiskanen is thriving as one of the early leaders in defensive impact. Like Ekblad, the lack of power-play time hurts his scoring totals."

1 of 7 dmen listed here

Last edited:

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
He's a long way from a Norris yet. Great player, but until he's scoring 60+ points consistently, he has no shot. Carlson is running away with the Norris right now.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Obviously its wayyy too early and he most likely won't have the points or recognition to win this season, but some people are really starting to take notice around the league. At the very least he should get some votes. Still remains incredibly unrelated as many writers have mentioned and Montgomery mentioned this week. People still don't know how good he is mainly cause he plays in Dallas

The Armies: Marky and the Odd-Man Rushes, the Heiskanen Show...

This video from sportsnet has Carlson winning but mentions Miro as a potential nominee/finalist, which would still be incredible.

An early look at the top candidates for the 2019-20 Norris...

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad