Could Miro Heiskanen win the Norris already?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The thread was miro vs. rasmus. This thread is about miro.

It was not, I pulled that post from the Church of Rasmus Dahlin thread.

Moreover, if Heiskanen is gonna win a Norris, he's going to have to win it over every other D in the league, Dahlin included, so I'm not sure how discussing other defensemen is actually off-brand for this thread.

Last edited:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Heiskanen is a #3 defenseman with absolutely no elite traits at all, YET. His point totals are not great, he doesn't have offensive creativity, is a massive defensive liability at times and struggles physically. He is closer to being an AHLer than a Norris candidate. He has potential to become a great player, I love his beautiful skating, but he is not close to becoming a Norris candidate and I am not sure he ever will win one.

What an entertaining post...in the same vein as Ed Wood movies were :laugh:

Reactions: Halberdier

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Lmao why are people still talking about Dahlin in this thread when there is literally a Heiskanen v Dahlin thread. I don’t understand why people are getting so triggered that their are multiple elite defence in the league. It could end up being a Keith, Doughty, Karlsson situation where defencemen with different strengths win multiple Norris trophies.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Drop the Dahlin talk before this gets closed. There is a certain relevancy to discussing the two together, but we’ve gotten away from that.

Reactions: dood

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I know when I vote for the Norris, I will definitely be voting for the 0-3 game stretch of one Miro Heiskanen. I might even give him next year's as well he has been so good!

Reactions: EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Sure. I get that people don't rate him as a Norris candidate just yet, or say that Dahlin is on-par/slightly better than Heiskanen, but overrated?

Top-10 defenseman atm, no doubt about it. People should actually watch him play.

He isn't the Top 10 anything right now! He had 33 pts last year, while providing a very stable -14 on a playoff team, lets pump the brakes on this ridiculous type of hype.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I think you're underrating Dahlin. He's a whole level up from other elite young D. His stick handling, passing, vision, and ability to find and create lanes are already among the best. On top of that, he's very physical in his own end, and you won't catch him making mistakes often. And he's only going to get better from here. It's like the Eichel v. McDavid "debate"---both franchise players, but one is on a different tier than the other.
Your analysis of Dahlin sure sounds similar to Heiskanen. As far as "He's a whole level up from other elite young D" you must be excluding Heiakanen because there is no way in hell Dahlin is on another tier than Miro.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Your analysis of Dahlin sure sounds similar to Heiskanen. As far as "He's a whole level up from other elite young D" you must be excluding Heiakanen because there is no way in hell Dahlin is on another tier than Miro.

Dahlin's on another tier from all young defensemen, in my opinion. I also think Heiskanen is in his own tier in tier two. Tier three is where it all starts.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
One of my favorite players to watch, but not enough points for that. He's absolutely amazing though. I don't know how people aren't blown away watching him lol.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Already a top 15ish D in the league but I don’t think he’ll score enough to be in contention. Needs to supplant Kling on top PP to make a serious run and that will take a while.

Also Dahlin is a Norris threat perhaps this year and a year younger so...
No, he's not. Huge fan but there's no way he's already top 15

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Sure. I get that people don't rate him as a Norris candidate just yet, or say that Dahlin is on-par/slightly better than Heiskanen, but overrated?

Top-10 defenseman atm, no doubt about it. People should actually watch him play.
Knock it off, this kind of talk is going to get the kid hated

Reactions: Stubu

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Heiskanen is a #3 defenseman with absolutely no elite traits at all, YET. His point totals are not great, he doesn't have offensive creativity, is a massive defensive liability at times and struggles physically. He is closer to being an AHLer than a Norris candidate. He has potential to become a great player, I love his beautiful skating, but he is not close to becoming a Norris candidate and I am not sure he ever will win one.
Not even going to respond to this clear troll attempt.

Reactions: dood

Cuphead

Jul 16, 2010
"already" as in this year?

he technically could. but considering that he isnt the best defensemen, no. i wouldnt bet on it.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
One Word... Darnell Nurse. Hockey fans are going to see big things from this kid this year. I don't think he'll get the Norris nod this year due to the Eastern Bias, but I think he will make the biggest difference for his team this year.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
One Word... Darnell Nurse. Hockey fans are going to see big things from this kid this year. I don't think he'll get the Norris nod this year due to the Eastern Bias, but I think he will make the biggest difference for his team this year.
Ya. That same eastern bias that saw Giordano win it last season. In fact, 3 of the past 4 Norris winners come from the western conference.

Reactions: Matsun

FinnWin

Nov 1, 2013
IMG_20191010_213325.jpg
Finnish homers FTW:sarcasm: Heiskanen is great but not yet Norris level...

Reactions: Stubu

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
He isn't the Top 10 anything right now! He had 33 pts last year, while providing a very stable -14 on a playoff team, lets pump the brakes on this ridiculous type of hype.

You showed how little you know with this post, my friend. Even my girlfriend, who doesn't watch hockey, commented on how great he looked some nights in last year's playoffs.

Miro will probably win a Norris one day, but he's not there yet. Could he, though? I would say it's possible, much more possible than if you submitted almost any other defenceman's name there. There are only 20 or so I think have better chances, and it's a long season.

Funny how points matter in this discussion, but if you bring them up in a Charlie McAvoy, you may as well be saying he doesn't have enough homeruns....people get quite indignant about it. Points do matter, just like defence matters for forwards.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Zero chance this year. Too many older vets that will get a lot more respect and a crap ton of points. And a few years from now he will be competing with Chabot and Dahlin, Jones and Werenski.

I think Miro is an absolute stud. But I don't think he has the offense to be gaudy enough for the Norris. Likely a top ten guy in the league for a decade plus, but never quite a trophy winner.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You showed how little you know with this post, my friend. Even my girlfriend, who doesn't watch hockey, commented on how great he looked some nights in last year's playoffs.

Miro will probably win a Norris one day, but he's not there yet. Could he, though? I would say it's possible, much more possible than if you submitted almost any other defenceman's name there. There are only 20 or so I think have better chances, and it's a long season.

Funny how points matter in this discussion, but if you bring them up in a Charlie McAvoy, you may as well be saying he doesn't have enough homeruns....people get quite indignant about it. Points do matter, just like defence matters for forwards.

I never brought up McAvoy! I showed I know more than you, by saying as of now, he is not Top 10 in the NHL among blueliners, and he SO IS NOT! Wowee, your girlfriend said so, that must make it true, right? Casual and non fans will think a ton of players look awesome, means nothing in the context of what is reality. Maybe he wins a Norris and maybe he doesn't, and again that means nothing based on my comment that he currently is not Top 10, let alone in the current Norris conversation. Points also matter when talking about offensive defenders which is more Heiskanen's game as opposed to being just defensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad