Could Miro Heiskanen win the Norris already?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Rookie D rankings:
1st in G
2nd in PTS
T-1st in ES PTS
T-1st in GWG
1st in shots
1st in TOI, ES TOI
2nd in SH TOI

Aggregate TOI is fairly useless, it's just weighted to players who've played the most games.
Heiskanen or anyone will shoot up in aggregate TOI and when other teams start catching them in total games these players will drop down. Example - Kings have played one game so far, Dallas has played three.

SH TOI/Gp, Miro is 15th (eliminated Mark Stone, the only forward in the top 15 who is 9th among players in SH-TOI/Gp) with 4:09/Game, leader is Esa Lindell (teammate) with 6:43 - which is a minute ahead of second and likely to come down over the season. Stat is also dependant on times short handed.

ES TOI/Gp, Miro is 30th with 19:31/Game, leader is Gustafsson with 24:09.

TOI/Gp, Miro 13th, (eliminated Draisaitl, the only forward in the top 15 who is 5th among players in TOI/Gp), with 25:14/Game, leader is Chabot with 27:32 TOI/game.

(As of 1pm MST, October 7)

Last edited:

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
i like heiskanen, but he's got a ways to go to earn the norris. klingberg being on the team will limit his chances, but if he can outscore all the other defenseman in the league, he's got a shot.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Get the Dahlin talk out of this thread lmao the title clearly says it's about Heiskanen.

Also wayyy too early for this thread most people have not even seen him play a game this season and we're also only 3 games in

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
How many points, and other numbers is required for those teenagers to have Norris candidate?
I see the Norris much as a reputation award, much like Selke. Play good in the league sime years, to make you a respectable name. Then, Just make a good season and you will get a nominee.

Norris is about A dominance B points. If you dont have both of that. OK, Im sorry. Next year.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Doubtful, there are just too many amazing and more experienced dmen that will likely have better years.

Saucechucker99

Feb 10, 2008
Aggregate TOI is fairly useless, it's just weighted to players who've played the most games.
Heiskanen or anyone will shoot up in aggregate TOI and when other teams start catching them in total games these players will drop down. Example - Kings have played one game so far, Dallas has played three.

SH TOI/Gp, Miro is 15th (eliminated Mark Stone, the only forward in the top 15 who is 9th among players in SH-TOI/Gp) with 4:09/Game, leader is Esa Lindell (teammate) with 6:43 - which is a minute ahead of second and likely to come down over the season. Stat is also dependant on times short handed.

ES TOI/Gp, Miro is 30th with 19:31/Game, leader is Gustafsson with 24:09.

TOI/Gp, Miro 13th, (eliminated Draisaitl, the only forward in the top 15 who is 5th among players in TOI/Gp), with 25:14/Game, leader is Chabot with 27:32 TOI/game.

(As of 1pm MST, October 7)

He was asked to provide the stats he led as a rookie. Not this year.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Setting aside the Orr for youngest ever, and going by youngest in modern era:

It is hard.

He had to beat Karlsson's 2011-2012 where he was 22 and 1 month by the awards ceremony, which means he needs to win it in the next 3 seasons. The Norris is largely a point race + a "who is due" story-line award. Young players will never get the "due" vote, so they need to blow the voters away on the point totals. Heiskanen is not looking to get top PP time this year, or likely next either, with Klingberg on the same time. Maybe in 2 seasons he has moved past him to PP1, or maybe Klingberg loses time with an injury. On top of that, he is competing with younger defencemen like Dahlin and Makar who are already getting PP1 time on potentially lethal PPs.

As for winning the Norris in general:

He has the talent to win, but there seems to be a lot of luck involved in getting the correct circumstances as well. Weber was thought to be a lock for a Norris and never won one (and probably won't now), Hedman and Doughty only got their first recently, Chara only has one etc. If he gets to play on the top PP and Dallas' forwards score at a higher pace than previous season, sure he could end up winning it.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Heiskanen's got the name and the game and what should be a good team, I don't see why not, though it's a little early to suggest he's a favorite.

Because if you ever suggest that a non-Swedish defender can have the best season, you're wrong.

Considering the Calder votes I don't think he's in the right team to get max attention.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
LOL he proved you wrong so you want to change the subject, how cute.
All he did was show that despite playing so much ice time Dahlin still had the point lead and it was by a decent margin too. Normally if you have the most ice time as a D it would be bad not to be 1st in everything...after all you are on the ice more than your fellow rookie peers

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
All he did was show that despite playing so much ice time Dahlin still had the point lead and it was by a decent margin too. Normally if you have the most ice time as a D it would be bad not to be 1st in everything...after all you are on the ice more than your fellow rookie peers

It's almost like it depends on how good your team is offensively and how much PP time you get. It's no secret Dahlin couldn't put up points away from the Sabres top line though...something Heiskanen proved he was very capable of

Also enough about Dahlin in this thread

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
LOL he proved you wrong so you want to change the subject, how cute.
The claim was “[Heiskanen] basically led all rookies in almost every category last year” which was not proven.

I have missed these ridiculous MrThomas threads. It’s hockey season again!

Reactions: MrThomas

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
The claim was “[Heiskanen] basically led all rookies in almost every category last year” which was not proven.

I have missed these ridiculous MrThomas threads. It’s hockey season again!

Thank you! I have got my own ridiculous reputation I guess!

Let me say one thing: I have had many ridiculous threads maybe but this ain't one!

But yeah I'm also happy it's hockey season again and Miro the hero for the Norris! :)

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
It's almost like it depends on how good your team is offensively and how much PP time you get. It's no secret Dahlin couldn't put up points away from the Sabres top line though...something Heiskanen proved he was very capable of

Also enough about Dahlin in this thread
wow making up your own narrative now and must have missed the offensive juggernaut that was the Sabres last year. Dahlin generated chances up and down the lineup its not his fault the Sabres depth could barely make use of the setups he gave them last year and they still got some benefits from him. He hardly ever played on the first pair so he hardly got to play with the top unit he's just unstoppable when he has players on the ice other than him who can also score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad