Could Habs be interested in Yakupov?

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I've watched Yakupov 3 times this year and every single time I was trying to compare him to Galchenyuk so I paid most attention on him and every single time I was left mind boggled as to how he went first, I get that he was on a 30ish goal pace last year but he just looks like a one dimensional player, the kind that never blossoms because he is hard to coach, add to that the fact that many are saying that he'sa head case and for me it makes him an asset not worth inquiring about.

djpass

I saw it on Twitter, but the Oilers might better served to trade Yakupov for Ryan Miller 1 for 1.

Oilers need a good young goalie like Jonathan Bernier. I know goalies tend to play late into their careers now but I think we've already seen the best of Miller and from now on, his best days are behind him.

1 on 1 I'd never do that deal if I was the Oilers. The Sabres would have to milk it a little more.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Reminds me of Kovalenko, and we all remember how that turned out when we banked on that solid return...

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
I hate McCagg talking like hes God and theres nothing else to argue about.

Yakupov is a star in the making. Hes no Filatov/Radulov.

And hell be better than anybody on the team not named Price, Subban and maybe Galchenyuk.

Patrick Kane and Mike Richards are hard to coach and have hard personnalities. But id take both of them on my team, right ****in now.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I hate McCagg talking like hes God and theres nothing else to argue about.

Yakupov is a star in the making. Hes no Filatov/Radulov.

And hell be better than anybody on the team not named Price, Subban and maybe Galchenyuk.

Patrick Kane and Mike Richards are hard to coach and have hard personnalities. But id take both of them on my team, right ****in now.

Just a dumb thing to say. Grant makes it clear when he is sharing knowledge or presenting an opinion. And frankly we are very fortunate to have a Hab's fan here on this board who is a legitimate insider.

And you claiming that you hate his pronouncements, then coming out with one of your own - and a damn foolish one at that.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
No, neither is Nail... but the hype is similar. Are you suggesting he is elite?

Nail is elite. We should take advantage of the misunderstanding before Edmonton realises it. The guy has the best release ever, and is quick and combative. In Edmonton they're playing him with grinders and asking him to forecheck when what he should be doing is position himself for that shot. He's like Cammy, but bulkier, faster and nastier.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Nail is elite. We should take advantage of the misunderstanding before Edmonton realises it. The guy has the best release ever, and is quick and combative. In Edmonton they're playing him with grinders and asking him to forecheck when what he should be doing is position himself for that shot. He's like Cammy, but bulkier, faster and nastier.

This. Yak and Galchenyuk on the first line, with Subban on D and Price in nets is a recipe for success. The chance to pick up a former 1st overall pick does not come often. The Stars went for Seguin and look how that's turned out.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
This. Yak and Galchenyuk on the first line, with Subban on D and Price in nets is a recipe for success. The chance to pick up a former 1st overall pick does not come often. The Stars went for Seguin and look how that's turned out.

Dallas also went after Patrick Stefan, so I guess they're batting .500 with former 1st overalls.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Yakupov wouldn't come cheap. He would cost a bundle of good talent and you wouldn't get him for a handful of has beens.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
The racist part is saying we should stay away from Russians.

racism[ rey-siz-uhm ]
noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

It's not racist at all in what he said. It's borderline prejudice.

Just so you know.
prejudice[ prej-uh-dis ]
noun
1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.
3. unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, especially of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.

I hate when people us the word call others racist when they don't show any form of it towards another race (Russian is not a race, Caucasian, Africian-American/Black, Hispanic, etc are races).

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Stefan was 25 at the time, not 19-21. That's like saying we were expecting a franchise player when we traded for Benoit Pouliot :shakehead

He's also a former 1st overall who was very skilled, came over from Europe as a teenager to adapt, but didn't really like to work and never really learned how to. No one who's saying they'd love to nab Yakupov right now would be happy with the price, and I'm willing to bet they'd be even less happy with the results. Not because he's bad, but because I don't think he'll have the impact that he's expected to from the more favourable projections.

Very good player, but don't think he ends up making us better than keeping any two of our top prospects instead, and it would likely cost much more than that.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

8 games into a 7-player trade of predominantly young players..and you're already talking about how the trade "has turned out"?

Eriksson is off to a semi slow start but is a proven point producer and hard worker who is in his prime, Reilly Smith has 5 points in 7 games and IMO underrated as a prospect, Morrow is projected to be a top 4 NHL defenceman as he matures, and a former top 20 pick AFTER Seguin, Fraser had 33 goals in the AHL last year and already has 3 in 6 AHL games this season. He's only 23.

I think we should wait a few years before judging the Seguin trade - that mistake may have already been made once regarding Seguin with the Kessel deal...that one is still TBD...and it's been 4+ years since that transaction.

I'm not saying Yakupov couldn't be a good NHL point producer - he's highly skilled and can score goals...but I don't think the risk is anywhere near the reward. The cost right now would be quite high, yet there are some red flags as has been discussed, not the least being the KHL. Do you think Therrien would be any less demanding than rookie coach Eakins that Yakupov compete at both ends of the ice?

Imagine the scrutiny if he had been picked by the Habs instead, and started off the season with 1 assist, sat a couple of games and said what he said to the MTL media. Even those wanting him out of town ASAP would still be expecting a king's ransom in return.

As it's only been 16 months since he was picked first overall. Edmonton would want a return like Eller, Tinordi, McCarron/Fucale/DLR and a first for Yakupov right now.....

Imagine doing that and then losing Yakupov to the KHL in a couple of years? It would set the organization back further than the Houle/Tremblay hiring.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00