Could Habs be interested in Yakupov?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
IMO Eller is not untouchable.

6"2 220 Center with skill and speed that every team tries to trade for but cant so they have to draft them but sometimes get lucky by trading a playoff hero goalie for one?

He's as close to untouchable right now as they come homeboy

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Yuck Yakupov is better than any of those guys by a country mile!

I know. All I'm saying is:

These guys are not necessarily trade bait from our management POV. AND they're not attractive pieces for other teams either. Especially the Oilers.

So, basically, getting Yakupov would imply we're adding another small forward without getting rid of any of the 4 we already have. And worse, giving a guy like Tinordi (in a package, that's for sure) would simply make us smaller.

So yeah, we either forget about Yakupov or we forget about the concept of having any balance on this team.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Pacioretty, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Hudon and more... now so many of you are willing to give up so much for a 5'10-5'11 skilled forward who may bolt for the KHL...yes it's possible (look what the Devils gave up for Kovalchuk). Why ruin Timmins' great work at drafting super prospects for us...only to trade 'em before they bloom.

A lot of you (imo) should direct your attention toward our D-Core, imo. Cup winners need a solid top 4 D-Core...we're not there yet, but Tinordi helps our future's top 4, imo. Build around Price and the Cup will come! Price needs another PK Subban...another Tinordi. Not a Yakupov (since we have to give up so much and our top 6-9 is already solid, imo).

We just need to find 1-2 more top 4 dmen.
(will Beaulieu be a reliable top 4 one day? too early to tell).

_______ - PK Subban
Tinordi - ________

For 2014 playoffs:
__?__ - PK Subban
Markov -Emelin (when he returns)
Tinordi - Gorges
Beaulieu

I'm willing to sacrifice a large kog of our future D-core to reunite Galchenyuk with Yakupov and I think it's warranted.

Before this season started no one was questioning Yakupov, and while this year seems like it might go down the gutter for him due to various circumstance and the majority have given up on him, I think there is a little more to it than that.

This isn't how real life works, what we're witnessing here is nothing more than perception of russian factor / hate mingled with the fact that Yakupov has problems finding a place on that terrible Oilers roster that is poorly assembled. Not one second do I believe that would be the case if he were to play for us. There's the familiarity factor with Galchenyuk, they are bff's and I have no doubt they could rekindle their chemistry just like they have never been separated since juniors as they complement eachother perfectly, and are both good for eachother, just like Gallagher is to him.

And if the experiment works out, in a year or two, we have ourselves someone with equal potential and production to Galchenyuk - a future Toews/Kane pairing - with an elite goaltender and a Norris winner on the back end while Gallagher can support and feed other lines for depth.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I know. All I'm saying is:

These guys are not necessarily trade bait from our management POV. AND they're not attractive pieces for other teams either. Especially the Oilers.

So, basically, getting Yakupov would imply we're adding another small forward without getting rid of any of the 4 we already have. And worse, giving a guy like Tinordi (in a package, that's for sure) would simply make us smaller.

So yeah, we either forget about Yakupov or we forget about the concept of having any balance on this team.

Well Edmonton needing veteran leadership is a very real problem. Trading someone like Gionta might not be a popular decision but he's gonna be gone at the end of the year anyways and we are not adding another small forward, we are replacing one with a much more skilled one.

As for Tinordi, ask yourself how much does it cost to acquire an elite level goal scorer? 8-9mil and more importantly when was the last time the habs have HAD an elite goal scorer? Now how much does a top physical D-man cost? 4-5mil? And which do you think would be harder to acquire? As much as it would suck to lose a big physical presence such as Tinordi. I think it could be addressed much easier. Murray maybe? Of course if we keep Markov and Diaz for a few more years I could see us trading Beaulieu instead. Oh yea and Budaj has a.964 sv%. :D

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
This isn't how real life works, what we're witnessing here is nothing more than perception of russian factor / hate mingled with the fact that Yakupov has problems finding a place on that terrible Oilers roster that is poorly assembled. Not one second do I believe that would be the case if he were to play for us. There's the familiarity factor with Galchenyuk, they are bff's and I have no doubt they could rekindle their chemistry just like they have never been separated since juniors as they complement eachother perfectly, and are both good for eachother, just like Gallagher is to him.

And if the experiment works out, in a year or two, we have ourselves someone with equal potential and production to Galchenyuk - a future Toews/Kane pairing - with an elite goaltender and a Norris winner on the back end while Gallagher can support and feed other lines for depth.

That's just not true. Its the same old excuse that when people harped about Briere it was the "anti-french" or "he spurned us before" excuse. Its a lot of hot air.

I dont want Yakupov because he's a more talented briere, what he brings WE DONT NEED. The idea that all of these beautiful goals that him and gally set up is enough to wash the taste of having NO physical presence on D, and how they end up putting up great numbers and we end up sucking because we let guys like pageau ride the crease and we lose 6-5 or 7-6. if the oil move him is because they havea team of spoons and no knives, we dont need to go down that road,

No one denies yakupov is not good, he is. But he is infinitely a far better fit somewhere else than montreal. We cant change our entire lineup to accomodate him and if we bring him into the fold we STILL have to find someone to protect all of out other undersized forwards.
The habs should not try to corner the market on soft one dimensional scorers.

The idea that we could get yakupov for a package centered around georges + is patently laughable. If that is the expectation, what do we plan to do with the gun we will need to hold to macT's head?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Well Edmonton needing veteran leadership is a very real problem. Trading someone like Gionta might not be a popular decision but he's gonna be gone at the end of the year anyways and we are not adding another small forward, we are replacing one with a much more skilled one.

As for Tinordi, ask yourself how much does it cost to acquire an elite level goal scorer? 8-9mil and more importantly when was the last time the habs have HAD an elite goal scorer? Now how much does a top physical D-man cost? 4-5mil? And which do you think would be harder to acquire? As much as it would suck to lose a big physical presence such as Tinordi. I think it could be addressed much easier. Murray maybe? Of course if we keep Markov and Diaz for a few more years I could see us trading Beaulieu instead. Oh yea and Budaj has a.964 sv%. :D

We had the 4-5 million and blew it on briere and at that price we are not getting a big established SAH crease clearing defenseman.

Markov and diaz would both have problems moving a feather from the front of the crease. We have tons of PMD ( including beaulieu) we have ONE crease clearing one. Hes young, green and you want to ship him to edmonton to acquire an asset WE DONT NEED ? For what ? pretty goals in losing efforts ?

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Its funny how Buffalo wants to deal both UFA Miller and Vanek (I assume both are likely gone) for one of the best young player in the league Yakupov. lol. Lets offer Andrei Markov and Brian Gionta for Yakupov. Let the bidding begin!

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Beaulieu, Budaj a first and a second. Budaj deserve a chance to be number one and he won't in Montreal. We grab Bryzgalov for league minimum to backup Price for a year. If Price get another case of crapping the bed Bryzgalov would be a decent update on Budaj.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Beaulieu, Jacob De La Rose, and a 1st round pick

the oilers have exactly zero need for an up and down defenseman a guy who wont play in the nhl this year and ANOTHER first.

This isnt like a coffee card that if you collect nine of them the 10th one's free. They need help NOW which means established players or at least players way more established than beaulieu and de la rose and ???????.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Too rich.

Really ? I would much rather part with beaulieu than tinordi, fucale may be the shiznit and he might not. if we dealt him we would have plenty of time to look for a replacement for price. The 1st is obviously an asset but still a conditional one.

This isnt a knock on fucale, merely that if we cut him loose the team on the ice does not get demonstrably worse immediately.

If we shipped beaulieu the markov replacement question gets a little sticky but for a guy like yakupov id at least entertain something like this.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Come on guys! Yakupov is a first overall pick who led the team in goals during his rookie year. His trade value is ENORMOUS. Montreal may have some interest but other teams would pay a very stiff price for him.

Let's say Galchenyuk got off to a slow start this year. Would he lose much value? No, we'd rightfully equate the slow start to him being 19 years old and still learning.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
With Max Pacioretty out for an extended period, how can the Habs not be interested in Niall Yakupov? Of the remaining LWs, only Galchenyuk has scoring potential.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
With Max Pacioretty out for an extended period, how can the Habs not be interested in Niall Yakupov? Of the remaining LWs, only Galchenyuk has scoring potential.

Because the oilers are not going to give us yakupov out of the goodness of their hearts, and the oil would likely want assets we need more than yakupov.

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009
Its funny how Buffalo wants to deal both UFA Miller and Vanek (I assume both are likely gone) for one of the best young player in the league Yakupov. lol. Lets offer Andrei Markov and Brian Gionta for Yakupov. Let the bidding begin!

I know it doesn't make much sense but right now that's the only real players being rumored to be on the trade block for Yakupov. It would be a great trade for BUFF, like insane. They are probably going to end up with a top 5 pick to pair that up with Yakupov if this trade goes through. Teams can rebuild fast and win the cup faster then we can obviously, by taking the necessary steps in dumping potential ufas.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
TSN Radio ‏@TSN1050Radio 23m
Darren Dreger: If offered Nail Yakupov, he doesn't think the Leafs would give up James Reimer. Too much doubt over the fmr #1 pick so far

:facepalm:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
TSN Radio ‏@TSN1050Radio 23m
Darren Dreger: If offered Nail Yakupov, he doesn't think the Leafs would give up James Reimer. Too much doubt over the fmr #1 pick so far

:facepalm:

LMAO

That's ******** if I ever head it.

TML would charter a plane to Edmonton and bring Reimer there and bring Yakupov back if Edmonton ever offered.

I know Yak has had a rough patch this year but he scored 17 goals in 48 games as a 18/19 year old rookie...29 goal pace.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I think Yakupov will be moved...here's why....

1. Edmonton locked RNH, Hall, Erberle $6 million each that's $18 million for 3 players. Or about 1/3 the current salary cap. Once Yakupov finishes his entry level, he'll ask for almost the same. Why? RNH is why, his best year was 52 points. So Edmonton cannot afford 4 players at $6 million each.

2. Remember those Nordiques? Nolan, Sundin, Sakic, Forsberg etc? They weren't winning because they had such a young team and no experience. Sundin was traded for Clark and later traded for Claude Lemieux. Nolan was traded for Sandis Ozolinsh. Clark was a beast at the time and Sundin was an upcoming star player. If Yakupov was Sundin now, then someone like Ryan Getzalf is Clark. Ozolinsh was one of the top defenseman at the time. You're probably looking at someone like Kris Letang or PK Subban as comparisons. It wasn't until Colorado got Roy that they started becoming a championship team. If Yakupov is traded, I expect the return to be along the lines of Ryan Getzalf or PK Subban. I don't think Eller, or Tinordi will do it ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad