Post-Game Talk: Could've been worse. Leafs go down 3-1 in the game and the series.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I hated the Tavares signing the second it happened -- I'm sure the thread still exists -- and I was destroyed on here for it. It was an awful contract before the ink dried and it was clear as day the snowball effect would prohibit us from putting together a deep team who could contend annually. Then they gave him the C to make it even worse.

But, yes, you are correct -- he needs to be gone.
Same here, although not on this forum.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
hey look.... this guys the jackass GM didn't think was good enough....

GMKbKy0WIAAZt5U

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
1. Is the goal MM redeemed him from his play before that?
2. To me it is not MM talents but he just doesn’t have the mental fortitude to lead any team.
Partly that’s on the Leafs for never having strong good vets to lead AM, Willie and MM. Partly due to the maturity of our guys. It seemed like they really have not changed the way they play in the playoffs. How can Reilly still not develop a slapper? How can MM still not develop any shots? We all saw what Willie can do but how come he can’t bring it more often? AM can literally take over a game, but he needs to do that more often?

I know Willie just got back and AM seemed to be bother by something since Game 2 but if AM let Coyle to outplay him, that’s no excuse bc AM at 60% is still better than Coyle.

Adversity or not this team doesn’t seem to have matured one lick since those early Boston series.

The fact that this team lost 4 straight entering the playoffs playing brain dead meaningless hockey and then have dropped 3 of 4 to Boston to go a combined 1-7 in the most critical time of the year, while struggling with consistency, details, composure. Tells you a lot.

Health and injuries are what they are. But it’s just the fact that it looks the same as it always has that is the problem.

With Matthews, I dunno. Don’t have info on his health. But Coyle is better than him. Before that it was Barkov and Bennett. Before that it was Cirelli. Before that it was Danault. Then Dubois. He’s played head to head against a lot of meh whatever centers and how many times has he come out ahead.

Marner’s kind of entering the meh who cares territory. He’s not capable so stop expecting it.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
LA is the Bruins with bad goaltending. Yet pretty sure if we play LA in the playoffs, we will make their goalies look like Hasek.
That's what gets me about people dumping on the defense.

Yeah, they're not good enough. No question. But the biggest reasons we lose in the playoffs are the vanishing act by the forwards and the inconsistent goaltending.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
It's over for this group. Out of all the playoff games they've played that might have been the single worst performance they've had and there have been some doozies.

They can't win, they won't win. It's an exercise in futility to even keep trying. Try to trade Mitch this summer, let Tavares walk as a UFA, and bulid around Matthews and Nylander going forward. I'd consider moving Rielly as well.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Adversity or not this team doesn’t seem to have matured one lick since those early Boston series.

The fact that this team lost 4 straight entering the playoffs playing brain dead meaningless hockey and then have dropped 3 of 4 to Boston to go a combined 1-7 in the most critical time of the year, while struggling with consistency, details, composure. Tells you a lot.

Health and injuries are what they are. But it’s just the fact that it looks the same as it always has that is the problem.

With Matthews, I dunno. Don’t have info on his health. But Coyle is better than him. Before that it was Barkov and Bennett. Before that it was Cirelli. Before that it was Danault. Then Dubois. He’s played head to head against a lot of meh whatever centers and how many times has he come out ahead.

Marner’s kind of entering the meh who cares territory. He’s not capable so stop expecting it.
Agree with you 100%.
I don’t understand how AM can be outplayed by guys who would be 3C on the Leafs.
We can blame coaching all we want but at the end of the day, AM needs to play like the top 5 player that he is or we will have no chance.

That's what gets me about people dumping on the defense.

Yeah, they're not good enough. No question. But the biggest reasons we lose in the playoffs are the vanishing act by the forwards and the inconsistent goaltending.
Exactly, people kept saying our D sucks and Sammy sucks but our guys scored ONE goal, you can’t win in playoffs scoring ONE goal

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Oh well, didn’t expect anything different this year so not really disappointed. Without changes we’ll do it again next year too.
Only question is does management remain content with this and continue to lock them in. I hope not but I have that sinking feeling we’ve got a lot more of this to look forward to. :(

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

png57

Oct 5, 2022
Mitch said he was "discussing plays" and "wanting to make sure everyone was on the same page" when asked about the yelling incident with Willy and Matts on the bench. This answer would have ALMOST worked if he did not throw that little tantrum. What was throwing your pair of gloves about? I wouldn't exactly call that "discussing plays".

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Right right, more lessons...

This core as constructed will NEVER be ready.
I think this philosophy COULD work

You need a Mcdavid, Matthews, Rantanen, M Tkachuk. So the best player in the world, 2 top 5-10 players, and another top 15 player.

however, we don’t have that. We have Mickey hissyfit Marner, William “captain of losers” nylander, Johnny Ghost, and Mr Sniffles’n Wrist
leading the charge.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Mitch said he was "discussing plays" and "wanting to make sure everyone was on the same page" when asked about the yelling incident with Willy and Matts on the bench. This answer would have ALMOST worked if he did not throw that little tantrum. What was throwing your pair of gloves about? I wouldn't exactly call that "discussing plays".
He was miming dropping the mitts with Marchand, duh.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Oh well, didn’t expect anything different this year so not really disappointed. Without changes we’ll do it again next year too.
Only question is does management remain content with this and continue to lock them in. I hope not but have that sinking feeling we’ve got a lot more of this to look forward to. :(
Keefe is a given. He's done because they are going to make some change and he's the easiest to move. He's done here and I think he knows it.

Other major changes are 100% necessary, let's see what happens.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Probably knows Paul waiting to give him his dressing down.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Leafs had assets at that time that could have been used. We had a lot of draft capital and prospects at that time. Johnsson and Kapanen were up and coming and we could have sold high on them.

Patience is a virtue. We should have been patient. I think that is a lesson learned and moving forward we gotta be patient. We need a solid re-tool and we should not rush. We MUST wait out tavares' contract unless he is will to waive and move
Shanahan said we were not going to go for a quick fix.

Then he went for a quick fix.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Marner needs to go yesterday

Keefe,Shanny,Marner can all take a walk

I don't think I've seen a more limp wristed have ever played in this league to my that marner played. He simply refuses to battle in the corner 😂

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad